25 Must-Have Holiday Gifts For The Bookworm And Writer In Your Life

This Christmas is gonna be LIT...erary.

35
Ariana Carpentieri

Are you an avid reader? Do you love to write in your spare time? Are you an English and/or creative writing major? If so, then you’ve clicked on the right article! And even if you aren’t any of these things, I bet there's someone in your life who is! If you’re the kind of person who struggles to find gift-inspiration during the craziness of the holiday season (or if you're poking around for a literary gift for yourself), then look no further than this wish-list for all the lit-nerds in your family and friend-circle! This includes more than the generic Barnes & Noble gift card and journal with the cover that makes it too pretty to write in (although as a writer and reader myself, those things tend to always be “safe gifts” and make me a happy camper). Rather, this is a list of things that goes beyond the norm and will put you at the top of the “nice list” in terms of your gift-giving!

So if you’re a writer and reader or you need the perfect gift for someone who is, then I’ve got your back. I’ve compiled a list of some cute writerly items you can gift this holiday season, and will make the person receiving them feel oh-so-thankful:

25. Typewriter Earrings

This cute little pair of earrings would look absolutely adorable dangling from the ears of any writer!

$21.81, by SmittenKittenKendall on Etsy.

24. Writer Emergency Pack

A great gift for any writer to help keep their creative-juices flowing.

$19.00, on Amazon

23. A Writer’s and Reader’s Mug

Writer's bring words to life, and what brings them to life is a nice hot cup of coffee or tea. So either one of these cute mugs would be a great gift for them!

Writer Mug for $13.99+ by StrictlyBuisnessMugs on Etsy, and Book Mug is $14.00+ by TinyBeeCards on Etsy

22. Reading-Lover’s Pillow

A must-have gift any avid reader can curl up on the couch with as they dive into their book!

$15.95+, by TheNerdyBirds on Etsy

21. Book Scarf

It may be cold outside, but this Pride & Prejudice scarf will surely warm the heart of your literary friend once they get this gift from you!

$48.00, by storiarts on Etsy

20. Library Checkout Card Compact Mirror

Mirror mirror (not) on the wall, who'd want this gift most of all?

Any book-lover would, duh!

$12.00, by JoyfulMoose on Etsy

19. A Writer and Reader Tote-Bag

Totes-adorable for all bookworms and writers out there. Plus, they're spacious enough to haul our beloved books around.

Writer's tote by IDefineMeProject on Etsy, and Reader tote by GraphicAnthology on Etsy

18. Poster of a Book Quote

We literature-lovers tend to have a thing for good quotes by our favorite authors, and we'd gladly fill our walls with posters like this until we run out of wall space!

$4.75, by 2LittleCrownsPrints on Etsy

17. Book-Inspired Bath Salts

What better way to take a bath than sinking into sweet-smelling water that was inspired by one of your favorite novels?

$10.00, by TeaSoapBooks on Etsy. Click here for more book-related scents!

16. Rustic Book Bundle

We seem to have an affinity for old, vintage-looking books. Gift a bookworm a cute set like this, and they'll be forever thankful.

$23.37, by ChippedPaints on Etsy

15. Library Card Notepads

A writer is always taking notes, so be sure to get them these really cute notepads! Plus, this gift will make for a great stocking-stuffer!

$8.75, by typeshyshop on Etsy

14. Writer and Book Nerd Candle

Let's be real: we all know nothing smells as good as a new book, so these candles will be the perfect gift for your book-nerd!

Edgar Allan Poe Candle by WertherAndGray is $18.50 on Etsy, and Book Nerd Candle by HighlandBluffStudio is $18.00 on Etsy.

13. Book Wall Ornament Set

Any literature-geek or writer would proudly hang this on their wall (right next to their Book Quote Poster from earlier, of course!).

$32.00, by SweetSequels on Etsy.

12. This Sweatshirt

No explanation necessary for this gem!

$21.54, by ElephanTees on Etsy.

11. Snazzy Bookmarks

Oftentimes, readers use scraps of paper, old receipts, or (God forbid) fold the corners of the page to mark where they last left off. I'm not too sure why most of us don't use an actual bookmark, but perhaps it's because we've been waiting to receive cool ones like these! Gift this as a stocking-stuffer, and maybe then we'll finally toss those random receipts we've been using in the trash.

Harry Potter Owl Bookmark by HouseOnTheCloud is $20.00 on Etsy, and Cute Lamp Bookmark by HolgaArt is $19.90 on Etsy.

10. Shakespeare Quote Pencil Set

"To be or not to be, that is the question." Actually, no, it's not a question because if you gift us these pencils, we'll always be able to continue with our writing!

$8.50, by CouldYouPlease on Etsy.

9. A Calligraphy Kit

I've always wanted to learn how to do calligraphy, and I know many other writers who're really interested in it as well. It's old-school and classic! This kit is definitely a worthwhile gift—it'll start writers out with a good guide and give them something fun to do if writer's block hits.

$24.00, on Amazon.

8. This Perfect Wooden Warning Sign

*Casually hangs one on every door in the house.* So if you decide to gift this to your friend who's a writer, add a splash of humor in and give them more than just one!

$11.57, by LittleBookishLtd on Etsy.

7. Laptop Writing Decal

A cute gift that has writerly-dedication written all over it!

Script decal by SNDRCo for $23.91 on Etsy, and The Book Was Better decal by MoonAndStarCo for $5.00 on Etsy.

6. Personalized Notebook

Writer's LOVE notebooks with pretty covers. We may feel nervous to write in it at first because of how nice it looks (and what if we mess up?), but if you gift one of these beauties to us with our name on it, our world will be complete!

$10.00+, by PleaseAndThanksCards on Etsy.

5. Shakespearian Silk Tie

For all the men out there who dig English and Willy Shakes, this gift is just for you.

$45.00, by Cyberoptix on Etsy.

4. Book Club Wine Glasses

This gift will definitely keep the reader and writer in your life "reading between the wines!"

Book Stack Glass is $18.00 and Books & Sarcasm Glass is $18.00, both by PenEndeavors on Etsy.

3. Typewriter Key Necklace and Cufflinks

I have one of these necklaces myself, and it's one of my favorite pieces of jewelry that I own! There's something so special about wearing a necklace (or cufflinks for the guys!) made of someone's old typewriter, and thinking about how many things were written by someone with those very keys hanging around your neck (or wrists). Typewriter Key Necklace by TheVintageKeyByKama is $34.00+ on Etsy, and the Typewriter Cufflinks by PHILIPAPIPA are $15.00 on Etsy.

2. Literal Book-bags

These are by far some of the cutest things I've ever seen. Any avid reader and writer would be over-the-moon to receive one of these amazing bags as a gift! They come in both leather and faux leather, so they appeal to everyone's preferences!

*tip: if you do plan on getting this for the literature lover in your life, be sure to ask them what their favorite book is beforehand so you can get the bag best-fit for them!*

Jane Austin Bag ($105.00+) , Harry Potter Bag ($160.00), Le Petit Prince Bag ($105.00+), and The Great Gatsby Bag ($170.00+) are all by krukrustudio on Etsy. Click here for more book-bag options!

1. A typewriter

Now, this is the most pricey item on this list. So if the lit-nerd in your life is someone very special, or you're in the mood to splurge and totally spoil the writer you love dearly, then a typewriter like this one is honestly one of the most beautiful and extravagant gifts you could give them this holiday season.

$215.00, by OurVintageBungalow on Etsy.