25 Things I Learned By 25

25 Things I Learned By 25

Don't tell my mom, but she might have been right about a few things.

23
25 Things I Learned By 25
Shelby Duggan

So I turned 25 this week and I was just having a little introspective moment about all that I've grown through and into, so here you go!

1. Life isn't fair.

So far so good, right? I know this first point is a little somber, but I'm not lying. Life isn't fair. Things are going to happen that just don't make sense sometimes, but you've just got to push through. There will be moments of joy even in the mess.

2. Your 20s are just hard.

Seriously. You think that you're moving out to be on your own and it's all going to go up from there. Actually, that's where life gets real. There are these things called bills and money, and in our twenties, we have none of that. But you aren't alone in that! I hear 30s are better. Come back in ten years. I'll let you know.

3. Community is VITAL!

I honestly can say that I don't think I would have made it this far without my people. I have been blessed with friendships that run deep and conversations that are rich. We are not created to do life on our own and I honestly believe that it's detrimental if we do. We need people to laugh and cry with, people that will step into the hard things with you, people to just listen, and people to call you out when necessary. It's crucial.

4. Your mom probably did make a few good points growing up.

Did I believe this when I was 18? Sure didn't! My mom is pretty rad and I know that I have added more than a few gray blonde hairs to her head over the years. If your family is anything like mine, your mom doesn't have an easy job. Just stop rolling your eyes for two minutes and try and listen to what she has to say. You'll probably learn something. Love you mean it, Momma.

5. She was also right when she said nothing good happens after midnight.

You won't learn this one until you get yourself in trouble, but it's true.

6. Ramen isn't a food group.

There is other food out there and one day you will afford to be able to eat something else.

7. Boys? Don't need 'em.

I will preach this as long as the good Lord gives me breath in my lungs. Boys don't define you. Your worth will never be found in a guy; and if you think that's true, I can promise that regardless of a relationship you will feel empty if that is what you are looking to for fulfillment.

8. Just laugh at yourself. Someone will find it endearing.

That's what I tell myself every time I trip over something, spill something, or break something. This is daily, you guys.

9. Learn to say I'm sorry, I forgive you, and I love you.

We don't have a whole lot of time on this earth together and our pride and/or fear can make us miss out on a lot of opportunities to tell people how we feel.

10. You should do things that scare you.

I mean someone would have to shove me out of a plane to get me to skydive, but baby steps are good too.

11. Money's not that important.

I work for a ministry so money is kind of a joke in my world, but I wouldn't change one thing about that. Riches run much deeper in Jesus and friendships.

12. There's no reason to be unkind or hateful.

You have no idea what someone is going through. Don't be the punk that adds to it. Do I fail at this sometimes? Yes, but that doesn't make this untrue. Let's do our best to not add more hate to this world.

13. I am loved. I am important. I have worth and value.

It takes us way too long to learn this.

14. Just go! Somewhere. Anywhere.

If you want to go somewhere, go! You won't be young and without babies forever. Save your money and go have fun.

15. Say yes...or don't. It's up to you.

Don't feel like you have to say yes to everything! You're going to let people down sometimes. It's okay. They will get over it.

16. Not everyone is going to like you.

Did this make you cringe inside? It used to me too. There's nothing us people pleasers can do about this one, so just give it up! You'll be happier and rid of so much anxiety.

17. Seasons come and go.

Things won't always be hard. Things won't always be fun. So do your best to not stress (easier said than done, I know) and just go with it. I've learned to literally take things one day at a time and call it good. Deal with Monday on Monday and Tuesday on Tuesday. Also, deep breaths, wine, and LOTS of prayer will get you through anything.

18. A college education is not my end all be all...sorry Mom and Dad.

I dropped out of college awhile ago and have a great job with some of my best friends. I'll probably finish eventually, but paper has gotten expensive!

19. FOMO is real, but sleep is better.

Need I explain more? You'll learn.

20. Coffee is also good.

For when the FOMO wins.

21. Jesus died for me too.

Somehow I missed this for awhile? I knew that Jesus came, lived a perfect life, died for our sinful lives, and rose again to reign with God, but somehow, in my heart, I missed that that meant me too. Not just everyone else. It's hard to look past our messes and have grace for ourselves sometimes, but don't let your lack of grace for yourself dictate the grace that Jesus has for you.

22. I don't always have to be good at everything.

I would assume this provoked the same emotion that number 16 did.

23. Quarter life crises are a joke.

First off, at the average life expectancy rate of America, quarter life is actually 19, so this is awkward. Also, who cares.

24. Being true to yourself is dumb and will get you nowhere fast.

But really, I'm going to follow Jesus rather than my heart. He knows what he's doing. I don't have one dadgum idea.

25. I'm going to be okay.

Over 107 billion people have made it through life, so I think I can do it too. We've got this you guys.