25 Difficulties Of Being Directionally Challenged

Not all of us are built with that great sense of direction.

1320
msecnd.net

Directions and maps (even GPS ones) are a daily part of all our lives. They're practically vital if we want to travel to an awesome mall to buy—of course!—books because they're the best and I want all them all. But, I guess you can buy shoes and clothes while you there if you want too. And it would be kind of hard if you wanted to go out of state to a college or for a vacation. Plus, if you have to tell someone how to get to your house or anywhere period then you definitely need to know where they need to go.

But, I'm one of those poor lucky souls who are directionally challenged. For those of you who don't have this issue then it's time you understand the struggle that is our lives.

1. Don't ask us which way is North without a compass.

Seriously, it's hard to figure out which way is north for us. Not everyone has a built-in compass like you. Some of us actually need our phones or a compass to figure it out. That's kind of what it's for anyway and you can be wrong about which way is north for all we know!

2. We get lost. Easily.

It's hard to figure out where you need to go and how to get there. I get lost at least three to four times a day. And that's only when I'm in my hometown or in a place where I kinda know where I'm going.

3. Directions aren't our friends.

Don't give me directions because I will be so confused before you're even finished. I'll just try to rely on my GPS app for my phone or my Mom because she explains things easier.

4. Don't ask us for directions.

Do you honestly think we can give you directions if we can't even understand directions someone else gives us? Sorry, but it's probably best if you ask someone else.

5. We literally have to be in the car with you to tell you where to go.

If you really want us to give directions then we have to be in the car with you. It's easier that way since we can't really tell you what street names to turn on.

6. Figuring out how to get to our destination without getting lost isn't exactly easy.

It's so hard to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B with minimal chance of losing our way. Sometimes we just stare into space trying to contemplate if we really wanna venture out and risk it.

7. Even with directions and GPS, we can still get lost.

You'd think with directions and a GPS we wouldn't get lost, right? Nuh-uh. We'd still manage to get confused and end up lost anyway.

8. Big cities are our worst enemies.

Big cities are the worst things for us. We'd get lost so quick that we'd probably never see the light of day again. Our families would have to call Search and Rescue in order to find and retrieve us from the center of said big city.

9. Small towns aren't exactly any better either.

You'd think small towns would be ideal for us directionally challenged folks. Nope. Dead wrong. We'd find a way to get lost going from the house to the grocery store—which is right down the road from the house.

10. Going out to explore a part of town we don't know is very risky.

If I've never been down a road before then I won't take it. I don't venture into new territory like that because I'm liable to get lost trying to explore news to get home or somewhere else.

11. Riding around in the country on dirt roads without visible landmarks is asking for trouble.

When you live in the South and back roads are huge thing here, then you better have a really good idea where you're going; otherwise you'll be lost in the middle of nowhere.

12. GPS is mandatory if we don't know the destination well.

GPS is literally my friend. If I'm heading to a new place then I will always have my GPS on my phone ready to go. At least then I won't have to call someone to give me directions and pray I can figure them out while I'm driving to said destination.

13. Friends and family who know how directionally challenged we are tend to tease us for it.

You're not really directionally challenged until your friends and family tease you about getting lost all the time. But, it's all in good fun even though you try to defend yourself and just end up losing. Best to just laugh with them and accept defeat.

14. We can even get lost while in our hometown.

You'd think we wouldn't get lost in our own hometown, right? Wrong. We can get lost in our own hometown with little trouble. And we've lived there for years. Kinda sad, huh?

15. Large universities with huge campuses are confusing.

Trying to find your university is hard enough when it's in a big city, but now you have to figure out where to go so you can find you dorm hall.

16. Moving to a new city or town means relearning where to go.

It's cruel for us to move to a new place. We just spent probably most of our lives learning to navigate our hometown and then we up and move? All that hard work for nothing.

17. Sometimes we prefer if someone else drives so we don't run the risk of getting everyone lost.

Less stress and anxiety for me when someone else drives because I can just kick back without a care. It won't be my fault if we get lost and they can't blame the directionally challenged person for getting us lost.

18. Strangers asking us for directions is uncomfortable. Asking for immediate backup in the form of a friend who isn't directionally challenged!

Whenever a stranger asks me to give directions, I freeze up and panic because I'm terrible with giving directions. So, the next logical move is to call upon someone else to give said directions because I'll probably get them even more lost than before.

19. Phone calls to friends and family who know their way around is a typical everyday thing.

I call my Mom whenever I'm unsure where to go and she always guides me back where I can find my way. Where would I be without her? Oh, yeah. In the middle of nowhere and lost.

20. We don't know street names. We just know where to go.

What are street names, anyway? If I know where I am then I don't need them. It'll only just confuse me and I'll get lost again.

21. Driving at night without being able to see viable landmarks means we're basically lost.

Terrible, terrible idea. If you think we can get it lost so easily during the day then just wait until nighttime. It's ten times worse then.

22. Driving around campus at night is not a good idea either.

Okay, if you've got a big campus then this is a really dumb idea. If you really want to get lost then this a good way to do it.

23. And driving at night in our hometown is sometimes not very bright.

Driving at night is just overall, a very bad idea if you don't wanna end up lost like the other times you probably did this. Best if you just stay home and not be an idiot looking to get lost.

24. We need someone in the car with us to tell us where to go sometimes.

It's even better if you're lost and have no idea where you're going, but you have someone else who knows exactly where to go and can show you the way.

25. It's a difficult life being directionally challenged, but I'm fine with it.

I may not be able to give directions or know where I'm going most of the time, but I'm not ashamed of being directionally challenged. I'm proud to say that I need a GPS or someone else to tell me where to go. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm perfect just as I am.