25 Affordable Places To Go In LA

25 Affordable Places To Go In LA

Get out there and explore this summer!

220
25 Affordable Places To Go In LA
Sterling Davis

Whether you're a local or touring the area, Los Angeles and its surrounding areas won't disappoint: there is always something to do. You don't have to go above and beyond your budget to have fun, either. Here are just a few of the less expensive spots to check out.

1. Venice Beach

Venice is home to sights, sounds, and smells galore. It features a seemingly never-ending boardwalk with people selling and making art, shops selling some funky t-shirts, and street musicians jamming out. The skate park is fun to observe, too.

2. Santa Monica Pier and the Third Street Promenade

Santa Monica is only a 2-mile walk from Venice Beach and its pier offers a mini amusement park, multiple restaurants, fishing spots, a variety of stunt performers and street musicians, and a stunning view of the sunset. I love people watching here and at Venice! It's worth noting that you can travel here on the Metro Expo Line from USC for only $1.75. Don't forget to check out all the shops at the Promenade!

3. The Getty Center

The Getty boasts stunning art and architecture alike. While you do have to pay $15 for parking, admission is free. The cost of parking is well worth the trip, though, because of the unique exhibits and the view of Los Angeles.

4. Westwood Village

Westwood Village is quaint yet elegant, with movie theaters (whose movie premiers many celebs attend, may I add), a tasty cookie sandwich shop called Diddy Riese, and several popular shops like Urban Outfitters. It's on the edge of UCLA, a beautiful college campus that is worth exploring.

5. Rodeo Drive

While the shops along Rodeo Drive are certainly not cheap, the window shopping is! It's always fun to dress up and have a photoshoot with your friends here. Located in Beverly Hills, several movie scenes have been filmed here and you're sure to see some pretty sweet cars parked!

6. Grauman's Chinese Theatre and the Hollywood Walk of Fame

Hollywood is infamous for its association with celebrities and the Walk of Fame has stars galore -- literally. See your favorite celebrities' hand and footprints and stars. Imagine if you got your own star someday! Take pictures of the Chinese and El Capitan theaters and go browse the Hollywood and Highland mall afterward; there's even a view of the sign. If you want to see the sign up close, check out #7!

7. The Hollywood Sign Hike

Hiking to the Hollywood sign is a crowd favorite, and is well worth the trek. Trails are open from sunrise to sunset. Hikingguy.com and hollywoodsign.org are great to help you plan your route depending on the level of difficulty and exact location (as some hikes don't lead directly behind the sign). What an incredible view. Make sure to bring lots of water!

8. Griffith Observatory

Griffith Observatory is free and provides an excellent view of the city below and afar, provided the smog level is low when you go. Catching a sunset here is the perfect date night. Inside the observatory, you can see how much you weigh on each planet. The observatory is open until 10 p.m. every day but is closed on Mondays. Definitely a must, whether you live in Los Feliz or Amsterdam!

9. Dodger Stadium

Let's go, Dodgers! (Or Angels, if that's your preference.) Everyone enjoys a good baseball game every once in a while, complete with hot dogs and cracker jack, the seventh inning stretch, and fireworks. Tickets to a Dodger game start as low as $25 and you can get a tour of the stadium for $20. Play ball!

10. Chinatown...and Little Tokyo...and Little Armenia...and so on

The Los Angeles area is home to several ethnic neighborhoods, including Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Little Armenia, Thai Town, Koreatown, and Little Ethiopia. If you visit any of them, you're sure to experience good food native to the regions they represent. Each neighborhood has something unique about it aside from the culture. If you've been to the Little Tokyo Plaza, you probably know of Arthur Nakane, the 80-something One Man Band who plays rock and roll almost every night.

11. Olvera Street (and Union Station)

Olvera Street offers a splash of authentic Mexican culture and is dubbed the "birthplace of Los Angeles." There are several shops with handmade goods and the smells are intriguing: tacos, leather from the belts, dulces, wood from maracas and children's toys. The buildings are very cool, with some of them dating back to the late 1700s and early 1800s. Union Station is right across the street and the main entrance will jog your memory of quite a few movies. Don't forget to listen to the piano!

12. Los Angeles City Hall

Okay, maybe city hall isn't the most exciting venue. But, hear me out: the observation deck offers a gorgeous view of downtown and the city! You can see LAPD, the helicopter landing pad, the cluster of skyscrapers we know as DTLA, and beyond. The inside of city hall itself features gorgeous Byzantine-style architecture.

13. Arts District

Los Angeles is known in part for its art scene, and the arts district does this notion justice. All it takes is a little strolling around and you'll discover several photo-worthy walls, some with intricate murals and others with a single bold color covering them. The infamous angel wings with the black background can be found on West 3rd Street. (There's an Urth Caffe around the corner, too.) Visit Melrose Ave in Hollywood for more pretty walls!

14. The Last Bookstore

The Last Bookstore is unique for a few reasons. Number one, its selection is absolutely all over the place and book lovers everywhere thank the staff for this. Two, the store combines books, records, and artists' nooks. Third, it is one of the few bookstores that truly appreciates the importance of literature in our culture. Not to mention, the way the place is decorated is tumblr worthy. Fun fact: once, I discovered a book for $1, put it back, and later discovered it was worth over $100!

15. Grand Central Market

Grand Central Market is hipster foodie paradise -- and I LOVE it. They are open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily and feature a game night on Thursdays until 9 p.m. Some of their more popular establishments include Eggslut and McConnell's Fine Ice Creams. You can find Mexican, American, Italian, and Chinese eateries, all decently priced, maybe around $10-20 a meal/snack. This place is bustling for a reason; go check it out.

16. OUE Skyspace LA

See that little tube towards the top of the building? 70th floor. Glass slide that goes down to the 69th floor. Glass slide is completely outside the building. This is also the tallest building in Los Angeles. Intrigued yet? This is definitely one of the pricier venues on the list, at $25 a ticket just to get up to the 70th floor and an additional $8 to access the slide, but it is so worth it because of the experience itself and because of the view. Did I mention that your ears pop on the elevator going up?

17. L.A. LIVE

L.A. LIVE dazzles with the promise of the entertainment industry. This summer, Regal L.A. LIVE is hosting $1 movies, which is definitely worth noting if you're in the area with free time on your hands. Also, make sure to check out the Grammy Museum for $13 a ticket. It features performance outfits worn by various stars, including Michael Jackson, and old instruments. During the winter, you can go ice skating on the L.A. LIVE plaza for $15.

18. California Science Center

Admission to the CSC is free, and the museum offers a range of interactive exhibits that will entertain all ages. One of their latest exhibits focuses on sustainability and another on energy, with a display of live termites chewing through wood! For under $10, you can also view an IMAX film at the science center.

19. Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Located next to the CSC, the Natural History Museum is $12 a pop, but only $9 for students (and is free for USC students). They offer free admission the first Tuesday of each month, except during July and August. From dinosaur fossils to hundreds of stuffed mammals to gorgeous gems, the NHS and the stories behind the exhibits are captivating.

20. Exposition Park Rose Garden

The rose garden is also right next to the science center, and is quite a beauty. Did you know that the grounds were once used for car racing? Now, the garden contains 7-acres of green grass, roses of all colors, a fountain, and several pavilions for shade. Come check out the beautiful USC campus just across the street while you're at it!

21. Petersen Automotive Museum

If you are a car aficionado, this is the museum for you. At $15 a ticket, you can explore multiple floors full of beautiful cars. There is even an interactive arcade-style racing game, and the museum features multiple cars that have starred in movies, such as the Pontiac Aztek in Breaking Bad.

22. Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)

L.A. holds several gorgeous art museums, and LACMA is one of them. Taking pictures by the lamp posts is totally free, and general admission inside is free on the second Tuesday of every month! Other popular museums include the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) and the Broad. Check out their websites for when they offer free admission.

23. La Brea Tar Pits

La Brea's tar pits museum boast a fascinating piece of history that has a distinct smell of none other than, you guessed it, tar. The tar exhibits held (and hold) remnants from the Ice Age! I don't recommend visiting on a very hot day, but this is sure to be a treasure for history lovers. The museum displays fossils and you can observe paleontologists in action!

24. The Wall Project

Courtesy of the Wende Museum, the Wall Project features 10 segments of the Berlin Wall, just a portion of the largest span of the wall outside of Berlin. (The museum has the rest of the segments in its collection, too.) You can stop by the wall on Wilshire Boulevard right across from LACMA and touch a piece of history for yourself -- the wall is more daunting in person.

25. The Grove and the Original Farmers Market

The Grove is another beautiful mall that is relaxing to walk around and it features a huge Christmas tree during December. Home to one of the American Girl doll stores, the Grove draws tourists and celebs alike for its variety of shops and aesthetic looks. The Farmers Market attached to the outdoor mall has several booths and restaurants, offering candy to Indonesian cuisine to fruits and veggies.