23 Tips To Help You Survive Your First Month Of College

Let's make this transition as easy as possible

9
Amber McCarty

Your first month of college will be full of new opportunities, new friends, and a whole lot of transition. Your first month will fly by but it's important to be prepared for this month. Here are some tips to help you survive and make the most of your first month of college.

1. Don’t overpack.

I know that you aren’t exactly sure what you’ll need and won’t need but try your hardest to not overpack. This means minimizing your wardrobe, make-up, office supplies, etc. If you end up forgetting something, you can always go out to the store and grab it. Just save yourself some hardship, and minimize as much as possible so move-in day goes a whole lot easier.

2. Wear comfy clothes on move-in day.

I cannot stress this enough! You’re going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting and walking up and down stairs. It will be hot in your room and you’re going to want to be as cool and comfy as possible. So don’t wear your favorite dress or favorite pair of jean shorts. Stick to something light and comfortable. You won’t regret it.

3. Give a big hug to all your family members before you leave.

The next time you’ll be seeing them is probably Thanksgiving and that’s a while away. Give your folks a big hug and a heartfelt goodbye. They’re the ones who got you here and they’re going to miss you greatly.

4. Expect many hello’s and awkward confrontations.

Everyone is trying to make friends. This is the point of the year where literally every freshmen will say hello and introduce themselves. It may get annoying but it is good to engage in these conversations as they will help you to get to know people around campus and when classes start, you may already have a friend or two you’ll be able to sit next to.

5. Your orientation friends will not be your only friends.

It’s easy to stick with the first people you meet but you should not limit yourself to only being friends with those who were in your orientation group. Branch out and get to know more people: in your hall, in your classes, in the cafeteria. There’s an endless amount of people you can get to know and become good friends with. Don’t limit yourself.

6. Unpack slowly.

You don’t need to unpack all at once although it’s a good idea to unpack at least all your clothes on move-in day. It will take you a couple of weeks to get everything organized how you like it so don’t worry about getting fully situated on the first day.

7. Make immediate friends with your RA.

Although many people see RAs as people who bust for drugs and alcohol and follow all the rules, they’re actually there for a bigger reason—to love and support their residents. They are one person you want as a friend because it’s their job. In the first month of school, they’re the one person you can go to who won’t judge you when you need to cry from being homesick.

8. Keep your roommate close.

One thing that is so important is establishing a good relationship with your roomie. Sitting down and taking extra time to get to know them in the first month is pivotal. You may have your differences or you may practically be clones, but establishing a healthy, friendly relationship will ensure for a good year ahead.

9. Call home A LOT.

This is one thing I forgot to do and I regretted it. Although you may not feel homesick at first, it will set in at some point, and if you’ve avoided talking to your family for the whole first month, it will only make that homesickness worse. You may have started a whole new life, but your family has not and they’re missing you. Keep in touch with them and it will make your transition a whole lot easier.

10. You're not in this alone.

All the freshmen, along with you, are experiencing this crazy transition together. You are not alone in the first month of college stress or homesickness. Others around you may look fine, but truly they are scared and nervous too.

11. Don’t forget to get your textbooks before classes start.

This isn’t like high school where they hand out the textbooks in class. You have to make the effort to find out what you need and go and buy them. You can order them before school starts or buy them in your bookstore. Just be sure to buy them before class starts because you’re sure to have one class where they use the book for homework on the first day.

12. Work hard in class.

You’ll come to find out pretty quickly that some college classes are fairly hard. Make sure to stay organized and on top of your homework and studying. You’re actually paying for each class you go to so stop the habit of playing hookie and take your education seriously. You chose to go to college and pay for it, so you have to put the work in too.

13. Avoid all drama.

There’s always drama when it comes to forming friendships so try to avoid it to the best of your ability. Also, don’t worry about finding your significant other in the first month of school. You’ll have time for dating but enjoy your first experience of college first.

14. But you can't avoid the 8ams.

You will have to take early morning classes and you will have to just suck it up and deal with it. It may be difficult to function at this early time in the morning, but remember, you were attending earlier classes in high school. Grab your coffee and some breakfast and walk into class being ready to focus and learn. They may be dreaded classes but they are necessary and yes, you still have to pass them.

15. Go to all the fairs.

There are so many fairs created for freshmen to get to know the campus and to get involved. Go to them and find some things you’re interested in. Colleges have so many things you can get involved in and these things bring experience, memories, and friends.

16. But don’t get involved in everything.

Make sure to not join every club and organization that you’ve forgotten to designate time for school and friends. Your first priority is school work. Once you have a schedule down pat for that, then you can get involved in one or two things that peak your interest.

17. Don’t forget to get a job.

Between school work and clubs and socializing, you also have to find a job. Finding a job on campus will ensure you have steady cash flowing in and can help pay for whatever you need. It’s a good idea to start saving up in college. There’s so many options for jobs on campus so do your research and start applying immediately.

18. If you haven’t realized yet, college is a juggling act.

In college, you will have more things on your plate than you could of imagined. Between school work, socializing, clubs, sports, work, and staying in contact with family, you have a pretty full load. Just take it one step at a time and make sure to organize your time. And also make sure to find time to rest once in a while so you don’t get burned out.

19. Take lots of pictures.

I’m a sophomore and can barely even remember what happened in my first month of college. But luckily, I took a lot of pictures and can go back and remember. In a year or more time, you’ll want photos to look back at too so make sure to take lots.

20. You will get lost at least once.

Face it, campuses can be huge or tiny but no matter the size, you will get lost at least once. You’ll walk in on the wrong class or go to the wrong building. Just don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. And also, designate extra time your first week to get to your classes so if you get lost, you can still get to your class without being late.

21. Don’t stay up too late.

The nice thing about college is you have no one to tell you what time to go to bed. But that doesn’t mean you should abuse this power. Yes, there will be nights where you have to stay up super late to finish an assignment. But if you can, avoid this and get your rest. You definitely will need it.

22. Learn the school lingo.

This may sound like an odd tip but it’s pivotal to surviving your first month. Every school has their own lingo, whether it be an abbreviation for a building or the name of a specific food. Learn the lingo quick so you don’t get confused.

23. Embrace the fact that you’re in college.

You made it to college. You survived high school and now you’re on to bigger and better things. Embrace it. Embrace the responsibility, the freedom, and the change that will come in this transition. And enjoy it. It won’t last forever.