23 Confessions Of A Former Scene Kid

23 Confessions Of A Former Scene Kid

Thanks for the memories.

813
23 Confessions Of A Former Scene Kid
Google

There's just some things scene kids will never forget: pop punk song lyrics, their first time at Warped Tour, and the location of their local Hot Topic store. You had a great time, but there's just some things that make you cringe.

1. You were convinced you had a future in music.

That was until some brave soul told you that you needed to know more than three notes on a guitar and not be completely tone deaf. Dreams. Crushed.

2. You could've paid for college with all the money you spent on concerts.

How did you even have that much money without having a job? And, how did you convince your mom to drive you to all of them?

3. You dreamed of marrying someone in a band.

Who cares if they were 28 and you were 14? If only they just met you... it would be true love, for sure.

4. You don't remember the password, but you know your Tumblr is still floating around in the internet abyss.

...complete with all the funny GIFs, "Read More" struggle sagas, angsty songs, and followers you never met in real life but were confident they were the only people that really understood you.

5. You still have piles of band shirts shoved in the back of your closet.

But, you just can't quite bring yourself to get rid of them.

6. You held onto MySpace for way too long.

Facebook wouldn't take over. It just wouldn't (until it did). At least you learned some valuable HTML code skills from programming your profile to play My Chemical Romance at you and flash cartoon skulls and hearts in the background.

7. You were pretty sure you were going to get your favorite angsty song lyrics tattooed on your wrist on the day you turned 18.

The only problem was your favorite song lyrics were "The poor groom's bride is a whore" and "I hate this town. It's so f***** up and all my friends don't give a f***." Yikes. Mom wouldn't be so proud.

8. Your Timehop makes you cringe.

The purple undercut paired with the checkered skinny jeans and band tee seemed like a good idea at the time. But the caption "Rawr means I love you in dinosaur" was a classic.

9. You're not sure how you still have functioning hands due to bracelets up to your elbow.

Surely, those things cut off your circulation.

10. You had debates about which body part you would get pierced first.

Snakebites on the lips or eyebrow? Septum or tongue? Ahh, 18 was going to be so fun!

11. You did anything to get to the front row of a concert.

But you never admitted to being a fangirl. You were just a dedicated fan who would throw a punch to have a chance to touch the hand of someone in your favorite band.

12. Your dream job was working at Hot Topic.

Everyone there was just so cool. Plus, a discount on band tees? Sign me up.

13. You posted song lyrics on social media and people would ask if you were okay.

Ugh, didn't anyone listen to good music like Escape the Fate, Breathe Carolina, and Mayday Parade???

14. You're pretty sure you have permanent hearing damage.

I guess that's what going to four concerts a week for years will do to you.

15. When the concert started at 7 p.m., you got there at 6:00....a.m.

You stood in sub-zero temperatures for hours without a coat because that would just get in the way when you were moshing.

16. Warped Tour was like Christmas.

All of your favorite bands all in one place? You really had been counting down since last year.

17. You probably could've solved world hunger in the time you spent teasing your hair in the morning.

But, you basically just got a big knot every time you tried.

18. Eyeliner was life.

All other makeup was irrelevant. If your wings were perfect, your life was perfect.

19. Your room was covered floor to ceiling in band posters.

Some of them you only knew one song, but they were still important enough to be ripped out of your Alternative Press magazine and plastered in your room.

20. You don't trust people who didn't go through a scene stage.

But like, what did you do all of freshman year in high school?

21. Some of your dreams never really died.

Admit it, when you make it to the very rare concert nowadays, you still fantasize a little bit about marrying the lead singer.

22. Everyone told you it was a phase, but you thought you'd be scene forever.

This was the real you!

23. You'll never stop jamming out when one of your favorite angsty teen songs comes on.

Guilty. Pleasure.