22 Things That I Have Learned In 22 Years

Not everyone was raised like you were raised.

23
The Coastal Confidence

Since it was recently my birthday, I have been thinking about all that I have done in my short 22 years of life. I have met some of my best friends, and I have lost some of my best friends. I have almost finished my undergraduate degree and am anxiously waiting to start my graduate school. I have traveled to the opposite side of the world by myself. I have moved away from home and moved back home. While I would never claim to know the answers to all of life’s mysteries, I have learned a few valuable lessons within my 22 years of life.

1. Nobody can be “stolen away” unless they don’t already want to leave.

This includes friends, significant others, business partners. If someone wants to stay in your life, they will. Bottom line.

2. If you have to constantly defend him, he’s not the right one.

There is a reason that your mom and friends pretend to be nice whenever he is around. When it’s right, you will not have to make excuses for him.

3. A few close friends are infinitely better than many acquaintances.

After all, they are the ones that see you through the best and the worst moments of your life. Hold onto them!

4. Letting other people control your moods is giving them too much power in your life.

Sometimes people do things to upset you on purpose. Choosing how you will respond takes the power away from them.

5. It’s okay to say “No.”

Whether you have a completely full schedule or you don’t have anything to do for the next few days, you should never feel forced to do something that you don’t want to do. It is your life, not theirs.

6. There is nothing wrong with taking naps throughout the day.

Abraham Lincoln did it! Sometimes, your body just needs to reset.

7. If you have a gut feeling that people don’t have your best interest in mind, they probably don’t.

Again, it is okay to say no to people, especially when what they’re asking you to do doesn’t feel right to you.

8. It’s okay to give up your dream to follow the path that you are supposed to be on.

My dream has always been to help people. While this can be done in a variety of ways, including moving across the world, I had to find where I was supposed to be.

9. It’s better to ask yourself “How can I help them?” rather than “How can they help me?”

If everyone did this, you would never have to worry about your needs because everyone would be blessing each other.

10. You learn more about the other person when the relationship ends.

From the texts, Facebook posts, etc., unfortunately, this is when you see a person’s true colors. That person you thought was so sweet...turns out they have a nasty side.

11. It’s okay to cry it out sometimes.

Crying is cleansing to the soul. Sometimes, it’s best to just get all of your frustrations out so you can move forward with determining the best solution.

12. It’s usually better to just walk away.

Usually, people don’t want to listen to the truth. They just want to believe what they want to believe.

13. If you feel like someone isn’t making time for you, they aren’t.

How many times have you sent the first text, made the offer to go to them, or broken your plans?

14. If you’re 5 minutes early, you’re late.

Being on time is essential in all areas of your life. It shows people that you are trustworthy and reliable.

15. God’s timing is the best timing.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9. He knows what’s best. Trust him.

16. Not everyone was raised like you were raised.

Offended by something that someone did? People come from all different types of backgrounds and cultures. Not everyone is taught the same “common sense” things as you were taught growing up. Keep in mind, those things were taught to you.

17. Traveling will be one of the best decisions that you ever make.

You will have unforgettable experiences. Meet amazing people. Try new foods. Learn new languages. See new landscapes. Experience a completely different way of life.

18. Smooth waters run deep.

During a crisis, the ones who are most solid are usually the ones who are most calm.

19. All kids need a champion in their life.

Kids are constantly being told that they cannot do something or that they are not good enough. They need someone to show them just how capable they are.

20. Tone and body language are usually more important than the actual words being said.

The subliminal messages are what a person really feels. Pay attention to these things.

21. “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” John 15:13

Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice for you. There is no one who loves you more than He does.

22. If people in your life aren't supporting you and your goals, you need new people in your life.

A boss doesn’t keep an employee that does not contribute to the betterment of the company. Become a boss for your life.