Things I've Learned

22 things I've learned in 22 years

22 seems like a fitting number right?

18
22 things I've learned in 22 years
Marissa Hall

With my birthday fast approaching (July 13th to be exact) I wanted to share some of the life lessons I've learned in the 22 years I've been alive. Knowing this is a common article, I started it anyways because we all learn different things during our years. Besides, Taylor Swift would approve of the number 22.

Heartbreak is inevitable.

Getting your heart broken is something that will happen whether you like it or not. Realizing that you're going to get your heart broken sooner rather than later will help ease the pain. I can't even count how many times my heart has been broken but I try not to dwell on it. It's a part of life that we all have to experience.

Self love is SO important.

I will say this until I'm blue in the face; love yourself before you love someone else! It is so hard for someone to love you when you don't even love yourself. There are so many ways to practice self love and I promise it's not as grueling as it sounds.

It's okay to fall hard as long as you don't lose yourself in the process.

Falling in love is one of the most beautiful things in the world. However, we tend to lose ourselves in the fantasy of our love life. Please, don't lose who you are when you fall in love. Take time to reconnect with yourself occasionally.

Do well in school, it's really important.

Academics are so important. How well you do in high school will effect how colleges portray you. Good GPAs will increase your chances of getting into a good school AND receiving an academic scholarship. College isn't cheap so do all you can to ensure you'll get good scholarships.

Don't give your v-card to just anyone.

Speaking from experience, don't sleep with the first good looking guy who offers to take your v-card. I promise you, you will regret it because it means more to you than it does to them. Wait for someone who loves you more than anything else in the world. You only get this experience once so make it one you'll remember forever, and for a good reason.

Change your major as much as you need.

Change your major until you're sure you have the right one. It might set you back when it comes to graduation, but you'll be in the career you love. The average college student changes their major three times and 80% change their major at least once. I've changed my major four times and I'm finally on the one I want.

Regret is totally normal.

I have my fair share of regrets, mainly from poor choices with the male population. I also regret college choices. It's all a part of life and it makes us human. Living with regrets can suck sometimes, but it's normal. Take those regrets and make them life lessons.

You're human.

Make mistakes and make them big. Fall in love and fall hard. Live your life to the fullest because you only get one life.

It's okay to make mistakes.

Making mistakes is something we all do and it makes us who we are. As long as we learn from our mistakes and don't repeat them, there is nothing wrong with making them.

Don't skip out on high school dances.

As lame as they can be, don't skip them. You'll always look back on those moments and smile. Some of my favorite memories from high school are the dances.

Listen to your mom.

I know, you think your mom is just overbearing and doesn't want you to have any fun. Moms have been where we are before and just want the best for us. My mom has been the best judge of character and reminds me of that almost every day. She might be a pain in the butt sometimes, but she's right more often than not.

Take advantage of the free stuff colleges give away.

College campuses are known for the crazy amount of free stuff they give away during the school year. During my first year at Siena Heights University I accumulated almost 12 new t-shirts, a stuffed Husky, a beanie and more food than I could ever need. Please, take advantage of all this. You'll thank me later for the 101 t-shirts.

Take summer classes if they're available.

Even if you have to pay a couple grand out of pocket, take those summer classes. They may seem like a hassle but they'll help you get closer to your degree.

Remember that the freshman 15 is a real thing.

The freshman 15 is more than a myth they tell you to scare you the first night you get to college. Those donuts you keep eating at 1 am while you finish your midterm will go straight to your hips if you don't maintain a healthy diet and workout schedule. I should know, I gained 15-20 pounds every year of college, and I'm not done with college yet.

Dance it out.

I hope you dance whenever you get the chance to. Dancing is such a pure form of art and I think we take for granted how connected we are with our bodies when we dance. Dance for yourself, dance in the dark and dance forever.

Cherish all the parental snuggles.

I never miss an opportunity to snuggle with my mom when she lets me. I've been known to sit on her lap at family events too because she's the one comfort of home I have. Snuggle your mom if she lets you, snuggle your siblings, snuggle your pets.

Always tell your siblings you love them.

Just do it.

Take all the pictures!

Pictures speak a thousand words.

Put your phone away.

When you're with friends and family, put your phone up and enjoy their company.

Love the body you have.

Body positivity is such an important thing to have. Love the few extra pounds you have and embrace your curves.

Treat yourself.

Get that manicure after finals, buy a new bathing suit for vacation. It's okay to spoil yourself sometimes.

Every day is a blessing.

Every day brings something new to your life, cherish the time you have by spending it with your friends and family.

In 22 years I've learned more than I could ever imagine. I'm grateful for my years and the memories I've made. Here's to 22 years of laughter and fun and more to come.