22 Life Lessons I've Learned In My (About to Be) 22 Years

"I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22..."

42
StockPictures

I am going to be twenty-two on the second of February. The fact that time has flown and that I'm nearing the end of my undergraduate studies blows my mind. Where has the time gone? I swear I just turned 15 the other day and graduated high school like yesterday. I remember my cousin saying to me "once you turn 15, time just flies by." I remember just laughing at the comment thinking "there's no way.." Now look at me as I write for this platform and I am in the final years of my college studies. I have learned so much in these about to be 22 years of my life. I have changed, become stronger, and have goals that I want to achieve in life. I still have so much more to learn and go through, so here are 22 great lessons I have learned from my 22 years of being on this Earth:

1. Learn to appreciate the little things in life.

Simple things like eating ice cream with friends, watching a movie with the family, watching the sunset, listening to the birds chirp in the morning, laughing at stupid jokes, or just talking with loved ones should be appreciated no matter how small or insignificant they may seem. These small moments are the ones that will remain in your memory for a lifetime.

2. Don't let difficult experiences make you cold.

Sometimes people can become very cruel and cold-hearted because of tough experiences that they’ve been through, but don’t let those experiences take your smile away. Let the experience make you wiser and stronger, but never let it take your kindness away because the world needs more of that.

3. Learn from the past, don't live in it.

If you never stop living in the past then you’ll never move forward and will stay put. The past is the past, learn from it and look forward to the future. There are so many great things that can happen ahead, but if you never stop looking back then you’ll never see them. It’s good to remember the past one in awhile, but don’t live in it because that will never take you anywhere.

4. If you're not losing friends, then you're not growing up.

Hard times will always reveal true friends. You may lose some friends, but that’s part of growing up. You may find out that not everyone of your “so-called” friends liked you, but that’s okay because it’s their loss not yours. They lost a great friend, but you are on your way to finding your true friends.

5. Love and take care of yourself.

I’m a short girl who is about to be 22 years old and I’m not skinny either, but you know what I’m learning to love myself one step at a time. It’s definitely not an easy process, but trying to get there is already progress. Trying is always better than not trying.

6. A day without laughter is a day wasted.

Laughter is such a beautiful thing. It spreads happiness and joy among people. Let yourself go and laugh with friends, family, strangers, children, or whoever you’re with. LAUGH as much as you can because after all it’s a great medicine for the soul. LOL.

7. Don't let one bad thing ruin your day.

Bad things will happen to everyone, but the way we react to it defines us. Don’t dwell about it all day, instead laugh at yourself or just forget about it. It’s really not worth spending your time moping when you could be appreciating life and its beauty.

8. Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something.

I have met very arrogant people who claim to know everything about everything, but I hate to break it to you. Nobody in this whole planet, not even the Pope knows everything there is to know. Everyone has their knowledge or wisdom to share, so remember to keep your ears and mind open.

9. Gain knowledge, not ignorance.

You don’t have to go to school to learn; life is full of lessons. If you don’t know something or just curious about something, look into it and do your research. Don’t let people just assume that you know what they’re talking about. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s always better to learn about it than be ignorant. The more you know, the merrier. You can never learn too much. Don’t ignore your curiosity, feed it.

10. MONEY isn't everything.

Money can buy many materialistic things, but one thing it cannot buy you is missed time. The reason I say this is because I’ve known people who just work and don’t spend quality time with their loved ones. Is all that money you’re making really worth the missed memories and priceless moments shared with loved ones? In the end, people don’t remember money, they remember the good times. Money comes and goes, memories don’t.

11. People make memories, not the places.

I haven’t traveled as much as I would like, but in the places I’ve been to the only memories I have are spending time with friends and family not the place. When I went on a service trip to Detroit, all I really remember is spending good times with my crew and hearing the stories from the people of Detroit. The stories really touched me and changed my view on life. No matter where you go, as long as you hang with the right people, then it will always be unforgettable.

12. Don't run away from your problems, face them head on.

We all have problems, but running away or avoiding them is not going to fix them. Instead try to tackle them with a positive mindset that everything will work out for the best or you will become stronger. Nothing in life is meant to be easy, but nothing is impossible either.

13. Not everyone will like you.

Don’t waste your time trying to impress other people that don’t deserve your time because at the end of the day their opinion of you will not change. Stay away from them and move on. Focus on finding people who accept you, not refuse you.

14. Real friends are rare, but golden.

Fake people are everywhere, the real challenge is finding the real ones. You know they’re for real because they support your dreams, stand by your side, love your craziness/weirdness, seen you at your worst, listen to you, give you advice, even if you don’t talk for months when you meet up it’s like nothing changed, and most importantly believe in you. If you find people like this, KEEP THEM FOREVER.

15. Everything happens for a reason.

I honestly and truly believe in this statement because if someone is not meant to be somewhere then it just won’t happen. If your gut says something, listen to it. Trust your instinct, don’t ever doubt it.

16. STAY POSITIVE.

Having a positive mind at all times is nearly impossible, but learning to see the good things in everything is something that everyone should do. Life is tough, but we have to keep our head high, smile and say “I got this!”

17. If you speak another language, embrace it. Don't hide it.

Being bilingual is such an important asset in today’s world, not only can it make you more money, but also open you up to meet new people. Don’t let anyone make you feel inferior or embarrassed of knowing another language. Remember that two languages is always better than one. Take advantage of what you know.

18. Be smart, but never show it.

Being smart and full of great ideas is a good thing, but be careful who you share those ideas with. Having ideas and acting on those ideas are two different things. People can take advantage of your great idea and use it as their own to create their business or something. Not everyone is this way, but you must be careful.

19. PATIENCE.

Patience isn’t just a life lesson, it’s a virtue. Having patience is so essential in the workplace when dealing with difficult people, family drama, or just in hoping for good things to happen to you. The less you react to a situation that tests your patience, the less of a situation it becomes. Sometimes you may feel that good things don’t happen to you, but always remember that good things take time.

20. Take chances and risks. Don't let fear stand in your way.

You are your own obstacle because of your so-called fear. If you really want something, go for it. Apply for that job, ask that person out, go bungee-jumping, travel alone, get your own place because at the end of the day it’s your life and it’s going to be what you make of it. Be more daring and don’t let fear stop you because life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Live with memories, not regret.

21. Never lose the kid in your heart.

Being a child is just pure joy, wonder, and just enjoying that the simple things in life. Never lose that childlike wonder and joy inside of you as you grow older. Being an adult gets tough with responsibilities, but remember to destress yourself and enjoy the simpler things.

22. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

You’re nothing if you do not believe in yourself because you’re your own motivator. Before doing anything, make sure you believe in yourself in order to achieve greatness. As long as you believe in you, then you will become unstoppable and can achieve what you put your mind to. NEVER EVER DOUBT YOURSELF.

BONUS: Don't Hold Grudges.

Learn to let things go because holding on to them is just going to make you a miserable person which is not worth it. What happened, happened and you can't change anything about it. Forgive, but never forget.