20 Little Things I've Learned By 20

20 Little Things I've Learned By 20

It's hard to admit certain things, or when you're wrong about something, someone, or some place.

36
20 Little Things I've Learned By 20

I've been in this world for 20 years, and I hopefully have many more to go. As you get older, you can look back at points in your life and realize things could've been handled differently. I'm not saying we should live life full of regrets, but it's important to grow and learn from things that you may have not had any control over. As Kylie Jenner said, I've spent 2015 "realizing things," except I'm going to actually elaborate on what those things are.

1. Nobody has the key to happiness, and that is something that is truly found within. Nobody can tell you how you can be happy because only you hold the answer, so don't go searching in others what you have to find within yourself.

2. Sometimes first impressions can be wrong. Even second, third, fourth impressions can be wrong. Sometimes it can take you a while to realize how much you actually do like a person when they stop being something they’re not and are their honest and true self.

3. In some cases, the simple fact that something scares you shouldn't hold you back from doing it. Living in fear holds you back rather than enhancing your life journey. Don't be afraid to try new things.

4. It's OK to want a relationship, because I think we all secretly do. A relationship should not be the act of wanting another person to make you happy -- it should be hope for this other person to help you grow and enhance your happiness.

5. It can suck when you feel like you're the only one putting effort into a relationship/friendship. If you're the only one putting in effort and you start to feel it's not worth it, it's OK to realize those relationships need to go.

6. A majority of people may agree on something you disagree on, so don't spend your life changing your opinion based off the ideas of other people. And don't force others to agree with your opinion.

7.You're not going to be happy 24/7, and that's OK. Just really remember to live in those moments where you are truly happy because those little moments will start to become more frequent.

8. The content of your character is not defined by the color of your skin, but the right people won't deny that it is there. The right people will be focused on who you are as a person and won't fit you into a mold of preconceived notions based off of race.

9. Not everyone you meet you'll mesh well with. No matter how great another person may think they are, it's never a good idea to force people into your life. Don't settle in friendships and relationships.

10. Admitting how you feel about things will only benefit you. Don't be afraid of being honest with yourself. Be honest with your feelings -- you'll never know where they may take you.

11. Everyone is not going to be a fan of everything you do. It's when we let other people's opinions of us shape who we are that we learn to become everything that we're not, and we turn into everything that they are.

12. It’s those people that can create lightness in your time of darkness that you need to keep around. It’s those people that will only add more light when you’re already shining as bright as the stars that we need.

13. Sometimes we have to make decisions and take our life in a direction we never expected. It's never too late to change where you're headed.

14. We don't all know where we are meant to be in life every single second. Just know you're slowly making your way to where you are meant to be. For some it's a long journey, and for others it's a short one. Everyone's life course is different.

15. Not everyone you're friends with is a person you have to stay friends with. There is nothing wrong with loving a person with all your heart, and realizing you have nothing to add to each other's lives and are holding on to a ghost.

16. Maybe we weren't born destined to find our other half in another person. Maybe all along we've been searching for the things that make us who we are and using those pieces to become whole. Find the things that make you who you are and hold on to them.

17. Being alone shouldn't be a scary thing. Going places on your own is a growing experience, and spending at least 10 minutes a day free of technology and distractions and just your thoughts is a refreshing experience.

18. Nobody has the right definition of what it means to be beautiful. Beauty is not only defined by appearance. The right people will love and accept whoever it is that you are or whatever you look like.

19. Your sarcastic defense mechanisms sometimes keep people from getting too close and knowing who you are. Sometimes those walls you build are too high and it's OK to shorten them and let people climb over.

20. Understand that other people have different limits from yours, and know when not to push theirs. Your heart may have pure intentions, but not everyone wants to be treated as you would.

If this didn't help, that's OK because we're all on different life paths. These are 20 things I have learned by 20, and I'm still growing and will learn more and more each day. I just hope that if needed, we all have the courage, strength and the ability to begin again.