22 Things To Do In Cleveland This Summer

In this city that we love, there is so much to do!

70

When I came home from college for the summer, I found myself sitting around the house for the first few weeks planning how I wanted to spend my summer. Home was much quieter than the residence hall in which I had been living, and there was less on-the-go excitement or entertainment. So I decided that every weekend when I wasn't working I would try to get out and do something and experience the city!

I've lived on the east side of Cleveland all of my life, and throughout the years I've gotten to explore the city and it's wonders from the backseat, then the passenger's seat, and now--for the past few years--the driver's seat. Now that I'm back in the city for these few warm (and humid) Cleveland months, these are the places I am planning to visit and things I am planning to do.

1. Go to the Cleveland Art Museum

Always a winner. I mean, have you seen the Armor Court? Or the gorgeous terrace view out back? Plus side: it's free!

2. Explore the Stalls at the West Side Market

They have food from pretty much everywhere. My favorite? The falafel wraps stuffed with potato...oh so good!

3. Pretend to be a Princess (Prince) at Squire's Castle

And then bring a picnic and a blanket and lay out on the lawn in front of the gorgeous stone building.

4. Rock Out at a Concert

House of Blues or Blossom Music Center? Doesn't matter which. There are so many bands and artists coming to Cleveland this summer; you're bound to like one of them.

5. Eat All the Deliciousness that Little Italy Sells

Why? Because it is delicious! Both Corbo's and Presti's Bakeries for life!

6. Go Creek Hiking at Squaw Rock

South Chagrin Reservation has some hidden treasures in the form of waterfalls and trails. Seek and you shall find nature at its finest.

7. See Some Shakespeare in the Park

The Cleveland Shakespeare Festival travels around the city and puts on some great renditions of the play, full of lively cast members and hilarity. Next up on their schedule? "The Tempest!"

8. Fall in Love with the Falls

And by that I mean, visit Chagrin Falls of course, and visit the viewing platform and eat some popcorn courtesy of the Popcorn Shop.

9. Find a Favorite Coffee Place

That isn't Starbucks. I love the coffee at Rising Star and the experience of actually sitting there and drinking it instead of grabbing my cup and going.

10. Drive-in to a Movie

We have a drive-in movie theater folks! And considering there aren't too many of those left, it is the perfect place for an amazing summer experience.

11. Run Under the Moon...or Dance...Or Sit... Or Whatever

When it's warm outside and the moon is full or nearly full, running outside underneath its light it one of the coolest things. Every nerve is on end since you can't really see too far in front of you, but it's so worthwhile.

12. Rock and Roll Your Way Down to the Hall of Fame

Okay, I'm sorry, that was a horrible play on words, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is such a fun place to learn something new about the world of music!

13. Coventry.

Tommy's. Big Fun. The Grog Shop. Etc. You can spend the whole day there, and I highly recommend it.

14. Pick a Museum, Any Museum

Though it is true, we do have a lot of museums, not just the Art Museum. And they all have their quirks and specialties. And many of them just so happen to conveniently be located next to each other.

15. Eat Some East Coast Custard

or

16. Head to the Honey Hut

or

17. Make Your Way to Mitchell's

You know, depending on whichever ice cream team you are on. (By the way, it is perfectly okay to be on Team All of Them).

18. Attend an Indians Game

Okay, I may not have done this one yet but I've always wanted to. And from what I hear, we're doing pretty darn well so far this season.

19. Putt Your Way into July

Somehow putt putting is always fun, no matter what age you are. It will always feel good to get a hole-in-one while putt putting, even if it is with a neon colored golf ball.

20. Overlook the World

Or at least the Ledges at Cuyahoga Valley National Park

21. Bike Along the Ohio-Erie Canal Towpath Trail

It also runs through Cuyahoga Valley National Park alongside the river and the train. Not only is it beautiful and fun, but good exercise!

22. Go CLE!

This summer, you pretty much have a free pass to walk up to anyone in the city and talk about the Cav's win and probably someone around you will cheer. Yes, we really are just that excited about the win. Hey we're proud of this city!