21 Things That Every 21 Year-Old Should Know How To Do

Can you check all of these off?

1293
H. Samuel

When I turned 21, I realized that I was finally an adult. People expected me to be independent, have a wide breadth of knowledge, and act my age. What I discovered was that the opposite seemed to be true. I need my parents’ help more than ever, I still have a lot to learn, and I wish that I could be a child again. Have you ever been looking for an adult when you realize that you are one? So then you look for an older adult? That pretty much sums up my existence as a 21-year-old so far.

There are so many things that I don’t know how to do yet, either because I haven’t needed to know or because no one has taught me. The day might come when I need these skills though, so I want to be prepared. These are the 21 things that I believe everyone should know how to do by their 22nd birthday. Happy learning!

1. Change a flat tire

2. Sew by hand

3. Parallel park

4. Create a budget

5. Perform CPR

6. Use a hammer and drill, along with other tools

7. Cook, even simple dishes

8. Check your bank account and pay bills

9. Iron clothes

10. Grocery shop for healthy food

11. Navigate without a GPS

12. Self-defense

13. Write checks and balance a checkbook

14. Remove stains and do laundry

15. Send a professional sounding email

16. Stand up for yourself

17. Calculate a tip at a restaurant

18. Write a resumé and cover letter

19. Use coupons and shop for deals

20. Relax

21. Enjoy life

Many of these I have yet to learn, but I'm well on my way to becoming an adult. Before you know it, I'll be great at adulting, and then younger adults will come to me for help. That's a scary thought!