21 Reminders For 21-Year-Olds

21 Reminders For 21-Year-Olds

College is marked by late-night study sessions, 3-hour Target runs and unforgettable experiences.

385
21 Reminders For 21-Year-Olds
Videoblocks

College is a scary time for most of us. It’s our first time living away from our families and we now have to be responsible for ourselves while navigating life. On top of the stress of doing well in school, we’re also figuring out who we are as individuals. While college comes with plenty of ups from partying, spending time with friends and going on adventures, the downs of stress and anxiety accompany the college experience. As we grow and learn to live on our own, here are some reminders to keep in mind.

1. None of us have it all figured out

No one knows what’s going to happen next. You haven’t lived your life yet so you have no experiences to judge your current ones against. We live life without a manual and we all make it through and figure it out in the end. Though we make it seem like we somehow have our lives together in the process.

2. Friendships change

College and your early twenties are all about self-exploration and growth. It’s okay to let go of friends if they are not the right fit for your life anymore. It’s also harder to start and maintain friendships in college so putting in the effort will guarantee a lasting friendship.

3. Build your network

Safeguard your professional contacts to maintain relationships with them because you never know when you’ll need their help in the future.

4. You're still becoming the person you're meant to be and that's okay

We aren’t born with an understanding of who we are, rather we are shaped by our experiences. Therefore, take every opportunity you get because all your collective experiences add up to the person you will become.

5. Step out of your comfort zone

You may not have a favorite hobby or a specific passion or interest yet, but stepping out of your comfort zone may push you to find something you love doing.

6. Be honest with yourself and those around you

Honesty will get you a long way. If you're honest with yourself, then you'll never put yourself into positions you didn't want to be in. Being honest with yourself also means staying true and standing by your values. Telling someone else the truth may not always be the most comfortable situation, but if it's the right thing to do then you should tell the truth.

7. Ask for help and keep learning

Don’t think you have all the answers so don’t be afraid to ask others to help you out along the way. We’re all learning from one another and you never know what someone may teach you by asking them for help.

8. It's okay to fail

If you keep making success your only goal in all your endeavors, you’ll never grow and learn from your mistakes.

9. Learn to love yourself...

Because you're the only one you can rely on later on down the road.

10. Learn to enjoy your own company

If you can’t be happy on your own and enjoy your own company, you’ll be limited by the availability of others to do things.

11. Take time for yourself when you're in a relationship

This is especially important in today’s world when we’re connected throughout the day with our mobile devices. Not seeing your partner for a while will allow you to grow as individuals while also improving your relationship for the long-term.

12. Learn to actively listen

Once you learn to listen to understand and not just respond, you will catch all the nuances of the other person’s point you would never have caught before. Put yourself in situations where you have to confront and navigate opposing views to give yourself a chance to listen and understand another view.

13. Be open to new experiences

Don’t shy away from any opportunity presented to you. Whether its a new internship, a promotion, an interesting class, or an opportunity to travel, use your twenties to experience new things.

14. It's okay to feel lost/down/unsure at times

This goes hand-in-hand with not having it all figured out. Life will always throw us curve balls and throw us off our tracks. Sometimes, these negative experiences will have you doubting yourself. All of us go through this from time to time but it’s normal because it means you’re adjusting and learning to adapt.

15. Learn to say 'no'

Learning to say no can be a challenge for people who don’t want to seem rude or disinterested in what the other person is proposing. If it’s a situation in which you do not feel comfortable you should learn to stand your ground and say no.

16. Don't linger on embarrassing moments

Believe me, if I had a penny for each moment I embarrassed myself on a daily basis, I’d be a millionaire. There are so many instances I look back on and wish I had acted differently, but I remember that I will likely never again see the passerby who saw me embarrass myself.

17. Don't hold onto grudges because it accomplishes nothing

Holding onto the past makes you linger on feelings and situations you cannot change. Focus on the future and learn from your mistakes.

18. Be comfortable expressing yourself

Be comfortable standing up for what you believe in and defending your opinions wholeheartedly. If you’re able to stand for something, it’ll help you solidify your values.

19. Remember to sleep

While you’re young and taking advantage of the time on your hands, don’t forget to take care of yourself. Catch up on sleep and don’t feel embarrassed for taking time to recover from stressful events.

20. Relationships don't define your college experience

Not everyone meets the love of their life in college, so don’t pressure any current relationships. We all eventually find the person we’re meant to be with at some point in our lives.

21. Spend time with your family

They’re the only family you’ve got so you may as well make the effort to spend time together. While you're young and not working, enjoy visits home because they will become more infrequent. Call your family from time to time too and check in on them.