This Is 21 (And I'm Here For It!)

This Is 21 (And I'm Here For It!)

Last month was my longly anticipated 21st birthday and so far it has already been one of the best years of my life.

178
This Is 21 (And I'm Here For It!)
Ethan Williamson

March 9th, 2019 was my 21st birthday. Originally, I was nervous about celebrating such a momentous occasion abroad without my close friends or family around me. However, this birthday turned out to be one of my best and really set the tone for the rest of the year. I am fully confident that being 21 will be a memorable year full of fun, laughter, and excitement.

That Time Has Finally Come

21, that magical year that I have dreamed about since I was young is finally here. All those "I can't wait until I turn 21" talks are no longer just talks and can now be a reality. The year that I can drink legally, the last milestone birthday of my youth, the most anticipated one yet has arrived. March 9th was a very eventful 21st, celebrating in not one, but two countries (the Czech Republic and Italy). I have no doubts that this will be the best year of my life so far and here are some of the reasons why.

10 Reasons Why "21" Will Be The Best Year Yet

1.) The year that I studied abroadGrowing up, I was never the type of person to do my own thing, always needing to be surrounded by close friends and family. Deciding to go abroad was something I really struggled with, but it turned out to be one of the best choices I've ever made. Learning so much about myself while traveling out of the country for the first time was such a rewarding experience.

2.) The year that I can finally drink legallyGone are the days where frat parties are my only option for going out at night. I am so excited to return to the states and explore the bar scene both at Penn State and in Philly with my close friends.

3.) The year that I truly found myselfAfter my first year of college, I thought I had a pretty good idea of the person I wanted to become. I was finally comfortable in my own shell and found people who enjoyed my unique personality. However, going abroad has really helped me become an even more independent person, not relying on the opinions of others for validation and doing more things on my own.

4.) The year that I conquered by fear of heightsThis past weekend I went zip lining for the first time in my life and it had to be one of the most nerve-wrecking experiences. I had never been the most athletic or outdoorsy person, so this was something I never imagined myself doing. After the first zip line though, my initial fear went away and it turned into a very enjoyable time.

5.) The year that I made guy friends…For some people this sounds like such a simple thing, but for me personally, it has always been a struggle. Living with guys while abroad was definitely something that I never saw myself doing, but it led to me forming some close friendships.

6.) The year that I found out who was really there for meWith the time difference and all, it can be challenging to communicate with family and friends while studying in Italy. Fortunately, a few of my friends have gone above and beyond to figure out the best times for calling me. I am so glad to have people in my life who truly care about me no matter how far apart we may be.

7.) The year that I stopped caring so much about social mediaAs shallow as this may sound, I have always been the type of person to turn to social media when I am feeling lonely or down about myself. I have been the type of person that defines themselves by the number of likes they get or followers they have. I thought happiness would come from making sure that everyone knew your name and thought you were living the "perfect" life. I could not be more wrong. Being abroad has really shown me how stupid this thinking was. Going to a place where no one knew my name, I was able to finally form more genuine relationships not based on my online presence, but rather for who I am as a person.

8.) The year that I will graduateAs I am writing this, I cannot even believe that these words are coming out of my mouth. Freshmen year feels like just yesterday and I would do anything to go back. College has seriously been the best years of my life so far and I am nervous about what life beyond Penn State holds. I feel that if I can conquer abroad though, I can seriously tackle anything.

9.) The year that I learned what truly makes me happy…As mentioned earlier, I thought that happiness came from social media validation for the longest time. Through my experiences abroad though, I have learned that what makes me happy is that feeling you get when you do something you never thought was possible. I have accomplished so much in just a few months and that sense of self-growth is something I would not trade for all the likes in the world.

10.) The year of a new beginning…I have always been the type of person who likes change and the people and experiences that come with it. After Penn State, I am not entirely sure what I want to do, but I am excited to see what life has in store for me.