If You’re In Your 20s And Still People Pleasing, It’s Time To Let Go

You're too old to still be letting other people dictate your life or to let them make you feel like you owe them something.

77

It's very easy to fall under the category of a people pleaser. It may seem easier to afford problems and to just make sure people are content. The issue here is people pleasers go above and beyond for that. They worry too much about what people think and will alter themselves in order to fit expectations.

People pleasing is something to grow out of, and if you haven't yet, it's time to reevaluate your life.

Chances are you're going to exhaust yourself trying to please others.

Something you'll have to remember as a people pleaser is that sometimes people will take advantage of you because they know that you'll let them. As long as what you're doing makes them content, you'll be satisfied with your work... and they'll keep expecting it from you.

You have your own life to live, and you have to live it for YOU.

If you're in your 20s trying to figure out who you are and getting your life started, why are you trying to please people? What are you getting out of it? It's finally time to worry about you. You're about to venture out in the world and finally become fully independent. It's your time to make the changes to your life that you've always wanted but weren't able to make due to things like family circumstances or school.

The person who is most affected by your life and your choices will always be you. You will never be able to please everyone so you might as well do your own thing, and if people are upset about it, that's on them, not you.

Sure, it's good to check up on people and lend a helping hand, but don't break your back trying: it's not your job.

It can be hard to break such a habit because people often people please to get people to like them, they care about them, and/or they want to see people happy. It ends up becoming a habit and just something you get used to, but it doesn't have to be.

Ask yourself these simple questions:

Why am I trying to please them?

What will it change?

How will this affect me?

This is where you start.

If you truly want to get the most out of your life, it's time to stop trying to please everyone and to start worrying about you and making sure you're OK and you have what you need and what you want.