2019: Year of the Women

2019: The Year of Women

1992 has nothing on 2019

112

1992 was known as the year of women due to the influx of women appointed to senator positions. This was a radical change for women, considering that women had just gained the right to vote just over 70 years later. However, I believe that 2019 will be regarded at the new year of women. 2018 was marked by women marches and the me too movement. Women of all different background are fighting for our healthcare rights, our right to choose, and the right to equal pay. "Women supporting women" is an apt statement to describe 2018 and the future. The bond between women has never been stronger. We have fully accepted our voice in society, and damn right we are going to use it. The amount of women in political positions has continued to skyrocket, and it will only go up from there! It was not long ago that we elected our first black president, the first woman president is not too far away - and 2019 will be the catalyst. I am not one for feminist propaganda, dismissing men in any form, because the new year of women has been marked by awareness and support from many men. Men of this generation, and some of generations past, are beginning to understand the real negativity behind rape culture and other negative social constructs that limit women in many ways. Men are beginning to advocate for women, and respect us as equals- not as objects. The progress!

2019 is the new year of the women, and it will be revolutionize our society in a way that it never has before. The greater presence of women in powerful positoions, and other women advocating for more policies protecting women, will have important long term effects.

The Future is Female, and I'm glad to be here to see it.