The 2018 Women's March: For Those Who Won't Be Silenced
Politics

Trump, you have a big storm coming.

1365
via Unsplash

What Is The Women’s March?

Women’s March is an annual event that takes place nationwide. Women from all over gather to support and fight for the issues that women have to face in the workplace, politics, and society. It sheds light on those who have made a positive impact in women’s history and those who have been negatively impacted by the patriarchy. More specifically, according to Womensmarch.com:

”The mission of Women’s March is to harness the political power of diverse women and their communities to create transformative social change. Women’s March is a women-led movement providing intersectional education on a diverse range of issues and creating entry points for new grassroots activists & organizers to engage in their local communities through trainings, outreach programs and events. Women’s March is committed to dismantling systems of oppression through nonviolent resistance and building inclusive structures guided by self-determination, dignity and respect.”

What We March For

The Women’s March provides a space for women to openly educate and discuss the many issues Women are facing in the 21st century. These issues include-- the need for inclusiveness within our politics, sexual harassment and assault, unequal pay, fundamental health care rights, and sex trafficking.

Lack of Inclusiveness Within Our Politics:

• In most states, 15-24% are in the legislature.
  • 106 women out of 535 seats in Congress.
  • 84 women out of 435 seats in the House of Representatives.
  • 22 women out of 100 seats in the Senate.
  • 3 women in the supreme court.

Sexual Harassment and Assault:

Unequal Pay:

• A woman makes 79.6 cents for every dollar a man makes.
  • The total lifetime loss for a woman due to wage gap is $418,800.
  • At age 70 women's career earnings will catch up to those of a 60-year-old man.

Fundamental Healthcare Rights

Celebrity Highlights From The March

Halsey’s Poem (New York)

Scarlett Johansson's speech (Washington)

Viola Davis Speech (LA)

Natalie Portman’s Speech (LA)