What Is The Women’s March?
Women’s March is an annual event that takes place nationwide. Women from all over gather to support and fight for the issues that women have to face in the workplace, politics, and society. It sheds light on those who have made a positive impact in women’s history and those who have been negatively impacted by the patriarchy. More specifically, according to Womensmarch.com:
”The mission of Women’s March is to harness the political power of diverse women and their communities to create transformative social change. Women’s March is a women-led movement providing intersectional education on a diverse range of issues and creating entry points for new grassroots activists & organizers to engage in their local communities through trainings, outreach programs and events. Women’s March is committed to dismantling systems of oppression through nonviolent resistance and building inclusive structures guided by self-determination, dignity and respect.”
What We March For
The Women’s March provides a space for women to openly educate and discuss the many issues Women are facing in the 21st century. These issues include-- the need for inclusiveness within our politics, sexual harassment and assault, unequal pay, fundamental health care rights, and sex trafficking.
- In most states, 15-24% are in the legislature.
- 106 women out of 535 seats in Congress.
- 84 women out of 435 seats in the House of Representatives.
- 22 women out of 100 seats in the Senate.
- 3 women in the supreme court.
Sexual Harassment and Assault:
- The MeToo hashtag was used by over 85 countries.
- President Trump has a total of 19 (and counting) public sexual assault allegations against him.
- Olympic gymnasts- McKayla Maroney, Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas and hundreds more- accuse Larry Nassar (the USA gymnastic team doctor) of sexual assault.
- A woman makes 79.6 cents for every dollar a man makes.
- The total lifetime loss for a woman due to wage gap is $418,800.
- At age 70 women's career earnings will catch up to those of a 60-year-old man.
Fundamental Healthcare Rights
- Planned Parenthood is at risk of being defunded by the Trump administration.
- President Trump is pushing for Congress to restrict abortion laws.
- President Trump tries to take aware requirement for insurance to cover birth control costs.