2018 Revisited: The Best, The Worst, The Lessons

2018, you have been one hell of a ride.

411
Angelina Campanile

Most people start off their New Year with resolutions and empty promises to fix themselves and their lifestyles. As for me, I started off 2018 in my small apartment in New York City with my family and no high expectations for the upcoming year. It's not that I'm a narcissist, I just enjoy going with the flow of whatever happens.

I find that trying to force myself to stick to my resolutions makes me feel as if I'm trapped in a box. With this being said, 2018 has left me a completely different person. It has been an emotional rollercoaster and a period of mentally healing myself. It has taught me many lessons and gave me more blessings.

Now that the year is finally over, I'm recounting the months and why 2018 was the best and worst year of my life. (P.S, any names used in this article are NOT real, and are used simply to make reading this article easier.)

January: You taught me what it was like to be bold.

If anyone knew me during high school, you know I was mostly quiet and had a small circle of friends. If you didn't, let me paint you a picture. I had about 5 close friends, had a constant resting b**ch face, and fell asleep during just about every single class. However, this month, I finally had something that caught my eye enough for me to want to go out there and get it.
And, so I did. This may come across as nothing to an average girl, but for me, shooting my shot at a boy I had my eye on for a few months was something I could have never imagined myself doing until then. When it comes to the opposite gender, I was illiterate (in fact, I still am.) I had never even been in a relationship, let alone even talked to a boy seriously. This month, I learned to be bold in all my actions, and it might get me further than expected.

February: You taught me the art of rising above it all.

Despite my best efforts to pretend as nothing bothers me, I feel everything more than the average human should, and this means when I'm angry, I act on it. If someone riles me up, I will act petty to the ends of this earth to get my point across. However, this month, I learned that posting subtweets, feeling like I need to get the last word in, and talking down on other people's names does more harm than good.
I felt like I needed to win, so I talked down on the girl who had done me wrong and posted subs constantly. Looking back, I wish I had just shut up and tolerated her because the negative energy she projected towards me circled back to her. I learned that rising above the drama makes you look and feel better.

March: You taught me the art of new beginnings.

This month was one of the most eventful and memorable. I got over a minor heartbreak, started my journey of self-love, and started all over again with someone new. I also became closer to my two best friends than I expected. We shared secrets and thoughts that I had feared sharing with anybody else.
I had a lot of fun messing around with my friends and just being, to nicely put it, a teenager. I learned that after every downfall, there is a new beginning coming soon. It was weird to me, having to function without someone that I was attached to, and then moving on to someone that I became interested in. It was a little harmless fun, and thankfully, prepared me for future heartbreaks.

April: You taught me that feelings are fluid.

This month, I had a rollercoaster of emotions. At the beginning of April, I was happily talking to the same boy I was in March (let's call him Jake), but by mid-April, I saw my old crush at a school play and immediately felt everything I did back in January (let's call him Max - he turned out to be much more important to my year than expected.)
I was confused as to why I was crying about him, especially when I had Jake in my life. However, this month, I learned that sometimes, when you push feelings so far to the back of your heart, they can reappear whenever. I knew I had to cut off Jake, and so I did.
To this day, I think that decision shaped my growth this year. Because then, I hit up Max to catch up on our lives, and by the end of April, I was entering my first real serious relationship, and it was with him. I'm not sure if I was mature enough yet, but I took the leap and did it anyway. Regardless, in April, I learned that it was okay to feel feelings; I'm human.

May: You taught me that patience is key.

Ah, yes. May. College decision day, anticipating graduation, and what prom dress I should be wearing. It was a month of decisions. I had decided to go to Syracuse University back in December, so May 1st was just me showing it off like there was no tomorrow.

The second issue that I had on my mind that month: my first kiss with Max. I was a nervous little girl, and every time he even attempted to plant one on me, I would run like mad in the other direction. Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't stop talking to me after the first date, where I strategically curved him three times.

Lastly: prom. When I tell you making a decision about my prom dress was harder than my college decision, I am not joking. I must have gone to about five hundred different stores. Nonetheless, I learned that everything comes in moderation, and patience is a virtue.

June (Part 1): You taught me a failure.

I decided to divide June into two parts because this month, I experienced the most growth, and to lightly put it, was the worst and best month of my entire life. I learned two very big lessons, and the first is a failure. As a senior in high school, I slacked off more than you could imagine.

I cut my first-period class every single day and thought it wouldn't affect me until I got an email from my teacher saying I was failing the class and thus, could not graduate. When I tell you I have never cried harder out of fear and anxiety, I mean it. However, my mother came to my rescue, stomped down to my high school, and demanded I graduate.

Okay, maybe not that privileged. But, after I wrote three essays and did all my extra credit work, she got me to graduation with a blue cap and gown and I am forever grateful. I learned that in the face of failure, life will work out (or, your superhero mom will).

June (Part 2): You taught me what a fairytale love story was.

Girls, if you get emotional easily, get your tissues out. This part of the story is a tear-jerker. This month, amongst the failure and tears and neverending lectures, stood Max. I know I've talked about him in other platforms, such as my other articles or just in general to friends and peers. However, in June, I experienced love for the first time.

He was the light at the end of the darkness. When I was grounded and with no phone to text my friends or him, he would e-mail me and say he missed me. For a while, we lived in our bubble. He would sneak into my house while I was grounded, and I would secretly call him on my house phone at night.

We got caught more than a few times (once, where I had to shove him in my closet) but my mom could tell I really loved him, so she would let me sit on the home phone with him as long as Dad didn't find out. Once I was finally off house arrest, I introduced him to my family, and needless to say, they loved him.

He would come over to my house just to say hello to my mom, and once even spent the night with my family decorating my graduation cap and eating dinner with them. That was the night I realized I wanted a legit future with him. Call me crazy, call me obsessed, I don't mind.

For that period of time, I genuinely thought I had found "it", "the one," however you want to say it. If we fought, we would never go to sleep angry at each other. If we were hungry, he would let me choose the spot. And if I dreamed, he'd listen. By the end of June, you might as well have put a ring on my left hand. I wanted forever with him. This month, I learned what the utmost happiness was. I learned what it was like to love another human.

July: You taught me that not everything can stay golden forever.

Someone definitely popped that bubble I was stuck in during June. Fights popped up left and right with most people I had in my life. I was just very unhappy with myself and found that self-love was a journey I wasn't even sure I was mentally ready to start.

As for my relationship, we struggled to make it to our three month anniversary, especially with the idea of college and a long distance relationship looming above us. However, we did, and we made the best of it. My relationship with my parents deteriorated as I was itching to leave for college.

I didn't talk to a lot of my friends just because I was so consumed with having a boyfriend. A lot of things with my mindset just changed, and I realized that life can't always be rainbows and unicorns.

August: You taught me the art of saying goodbye.

For any new freshman in college, August is a month of goodbyes and fresh starts. I learned how to say goodbye to some of the most important people in my life and cherish our memories no matter how far apart we'll be. This month, I broke up with Max. I was frightened about doing it, about having to say "we're done" out loud, but I knew in my heart that if I wanted him to be happy in college, I had to leave.

It wasn't that I was a bad girlfriend, it's that we would make each other miserable being 6 hours away from each other. There was no point in dragging it out any longer, it just had to happen. It was bittersweet. Before I went away, I said goodbye to him. We shared a hug, I gave him the last of my letters, I returned everything he had given me during our relationship, and then I got in the car and sped off.

That was the last time I ever saw him. As for my best friends Lilya and Simran, they were the hardest to say goodbye to. However, I knew I would see them once again, so we shared the last words and laughed but knew it wasn't the end. I also bid farewell to my parents and little brother, who I can say that I actually ended up missing more than I expected.

In August, I learned what goodbyes really meant, and that sometimes being apart from someone can teach you how much you need them or how much you have peace without them.

September: You taught me how to foster new relationships.

September marked the beginning of my new journey as a freshman in college. I met my new best friend, Sharon, and met many different people who I can only hope to stay in my life for a long time. Once I learned how to be single, I was able to create new relationships with the people around me.

I had the most fun during the wild nights where I would be with my friends, running around our college town and making memories I'll never forget. I learned the art of hooking up with someone, and whatever the hell went along with that. Oh, and also honorable mention: my boob fell out of my shirt at an A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie concert. I thrived.

October: You taught me how to grow.

October was my birthday month and also the month where I learned just how important self-love was. I had felt powerless, worthless, and just flat out unwanted for a while. Regardless, I wanted to grow from my past experiences, I didn't want to be the same girl I was in high school.

So, I took matters into my own hands and started little by little learning how to make myself beautiful, inside and out, once more. It was an uneventful month besides my birthday weekend but ended nicely with Halloweekend, where I surprised my hometown best friend at her college and was reminded how lucky I am to have someone who understands me as no other human can. I learned how to become a better me, for me and for others.

November: You taught me to cherish life no matter how hard it seems.

I would say that November was also a very good month. I got to go home for Thanksgiving, see my hometown best friends, and go back to school a week later much happier. Even when I was at my lowest, stressed about grades or just missing home, I would be reminded that I had so much to be thankful for. My college best friend was only a 40-minute drive away when I was at home, my parents were both alive and healthy, and I had people who loved me.
There were no complaints. And even when I was down, they were all there to pick me back up. I learned that even on my darkest days, I should always be thankful for those who have stuck by me.

December: You taught me to just say "f**k it" sometimes.

For a little while, I danced in limbo between missing Max and wanting to do better and move on. Finally, however, I got the chance to do so. Now I can happily say that I am moving onto bigger and better things, with someone who I believe deserves me. I took the time and thought if I ever wanted to enter something new, but this month, I learned that sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say "f**k it."
So, I did.
And it feels pretty damn good. There are some nights where I do reflect on my previous relationship, but it is only good thoughts. I thank him for the experiences and wish him the best. Also, I continued my self-love journey and began accepting myself for whoever I am, and no one can change that.
During the end of December, I got to enjoy it in sunny Honduras, my mother's homeland, and I had the time of my life. I also received my first semester grades, and really learned how to say "f**k it." (Definitely not a sub to Biology 121). Overall, I learned that I'm young, and sometimes I have to be carefree and just live my best life.
2018, you have given me endless blessings and so many lessons. However, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Now, I can gladly quote Ariana Grande and say "thank u, next." I am saying this out loud and putting this into the universe that 2019 is my year. No matter what hardships come along, no matter how rough it feels to push forward, I will work on myself each day and try to be a better me than the day before. Here's to 2019, and that it brings more smiles, more laughter, more love, and more life.