It's 2017, Why Are We Still Body Shaming?

Leave Gaga alone, people!
6

Last Sunday, Lady Gaga took to the stage at the Superbowl Halftime Show. And while her performance was excellent, and did not feature any guest appearances, Lady Gaga is getting attention for a much different reason. Many viewers have recently been poking fun of the "Born This Way" singer's halftime performance.

And while most jokes are innocent in nature, many people have made comments about Lady Gaga's appearance, calling her fat after one of her pieces of wardrobe exposed her mid drift. Unfortunately, these comments are all too common for any celebrity, especially women. And while Gaga celebrated an increase in sales following her fantastic performance, the internet was more focused on the shape of her stomach. But Lady Gaga did not stay quiet, the artist recently posted to her Instagram responding to the haters of her Superbowl performance.

Lady Gaga posted the picture above and responded to her critics saying " I heard my body is a topic of conversation so I wanted to say, I'm proud of my body and you should be proud of yours too. No matter who you are or what you do. I could give you a million reasons why you don't need to cater to anyone or anything to succeed. Be you, and be relentlessly you. That's the stuff of champions, thank you so much, everyone, for supporting me. I love you guys. Xoxo, gaga."

Lady Gaga isn't the only celebrity who has received criticism for her looks. And despite recent advocacy to end body shaming, millions of people still feel pressured and are harassed into complying with body standards. It's 2017 people! It's time we start excepting everyone regardless of shape, size, color, or beliefs. Embrace whatever reflection the mirror shows you because baby you were born this way.