2017 NBA Playoff Predictions

2017 NBA Playoff Predictions

Series-by-series breakdown of who advances each round and why

56
2017 NBA Playoff Predictions
NBA Conference

The start of the Association's second season is here. With the MVP race as good as any in recent memory, the hype entering this year's playoffs is enormous. Will we see part three of Golden State-Cleveland in the Finals? Which team will make it out of the bottom half of the Western Conference bracket? Can Boston back up their one seed?

Most years, the NBA Playoffs prove to be the best postseason of any professional sports league in America. We cannot decide that for this season until it actually happens, but we can definitely predict what will happen. Here are my 2017 NBA Playoff Predictions:

West Quarterfinals: (1) Golden State Warriors vs (8) Portland Trail Blazers

Portland edged out Denver for the 8 spot in the West, and what is their reward? Playing what might be the most stacked superteam the NBA has ever seen. When asked by a reporter whether the Trail Blazers would win in 6 or 7 games, Damian Lillard said "Blazers in 6." I mean...what else is he supposed to say? I love Dame as much as anyone else, but unfortunately his team just does not bode well with Golden State. The Warriors swept the season series, winning by an average of almost 20 points. This is not the GS-Portland matchup we saw last year in the second round. Then, Curry missed the first three games with a knee injury, and even when he came back, the Blazers kept things interesting in games 4 and 5. Now, it is Portland who is dealing with an injury, as Jusuf Nurkic went down in March with a fractured fibula and might not be ready for the start of the playoffs. The Bosnian big man was a perfect third option for Portland, but without him it will be tough for them to even steal a game.

Prediction: Warriors in 4

X-factor: Jusuf Nurkic

West Quarterfinals: (2) San Antonio Spurs vs (7) Memphis Grizzlies

Is it just me, or do these two teams play every year in the postseason? The Spurs and Grizzlies have battled in 3 different playoff series since 2011, with San Antonio grabbing the broom in the 2016 West Quarterfinals and the 2013 West Finals. This year, the two split their regular season games. Memphis is not as injury-riddled as they were last year, but they aren't completely healthy. Parsons is injury prone as usual, and key defensive wingman Tony Allen went out on the last day of the regular season with a right calf strain. Kawhi Leonard is the driving force of the San Antonio defense, and this season has witnessed an improved, lethal offensive game. The Klaw did not play in one of the Spurs' regular season losses to Memphis, if that counts for anything. If the Grizzlies had Allen, I'd likely give this series 6 games. With his defense absent, who else can pick up the slack? Offense continues to be a major weakness for Memphis, despite their moves this season to middle of the pack in perimeter shooting. There are just too many holes for the Grizzlies to overcome against a balanced, efficient Spurs attack.

Prediction: Spurs in 5

X-factor: Jonathon Simmons

West Quarterfinals: (3) Houston Rockets vs (6) Oklahoma City Thunder

What a present from the NBA powers that be! We get a first round matchup that pits Mr. Triple-Double against Mr. Triple-Double...Jr.? However you want to name it, Russell Westbrook vs James Harden will be epic. Russ broke the Big O's half-century season triple-double record, and also averaged a triple-double. His historic season was achieved in large part because he had to do just about everything for his team to even have a chance at the playoffs. OKC lacks a clear second scoring option, which will be difficult to overcome against the Rockets. Harden, like Westbrook, has had a very impressive season, averaging close to a triple-double. The difference between the two is that Harden has a plethora of offensive firepower surrounding him. When it comes to defense, expect neither of the two MVP candidates to be guarding each other; Beverley will try to slow down Brodie while Roberson attempts to clamp down on The Beard. As if the MVP hype wasn't enough, three of the four regular season matchups were decided by 3 points or less. Unfortunately for the Thunder, reality very well could set in as the series progresses. Houston is the 2nd-best offensive team in the league, and they rank 1st in threes made. All the Rockets need is one of their secondary scoring options to catch fire from behind the arc - whether it be Sixth Man of the Year frontrunner Eric Gordon, Lou Williams (who is also a top 3 candidate for Sixth Man of the Year), or Ryan Anderson. On the flip side, OKC would need to defy logic to win a 7 game series, which would mean Westbrook would need to do even more than he did in the regular season...but the NBA has seen crazy things happen before, so don't be surprised by anything. This has the potential to be a series for the ages.

Prediction: Rockets in 6

X-factor: Patrick Beverley

West Quarterfinals: (4) Los Angeles Clippers vs (5) Utah Jazz

This is possibly the most balanced matchup in the West's first round, with LA's dangerous offense going up against Utah's stingy defense. Both teams dealt with injuries throughout the regular season, with the Clippers losing Griffin and Paul for extended stretches and Utah constantly rotating healthy guys in to replace players like Derrick Favors. With Favors now back in the mix, Salt Lake City can only cross their fingers and hope the injury bug doesn't bite in the playoffs. The Clippers have much more playoff experience, but they are also known for falling apart in the postseason. The Jazz have Rudy Gobert, who is my pick for DPOY, defending at the rim, ready to thwart away Griffin and Jordan down low. At the 3 spot, Gordon Hayward has quietly put together a very successful season that statistically resembles Paul George's, and he can exploit Los Angeles' major weakness at SF. The Clippers are favorites - they won 3 of 4 meetings in the regular season with ease - and they should be able to handle Utah, but there are just too many little things that tilt in favor of the Jazz. Griffin and Redick are at the end of their contracts, rumors about Doc Rivers taking a job in Orlando are circulating, and Austin Rivers' bad hamstring could hamper the bench. All of that to say, do not be surprised if Utah gets to the conference semifinals a year ahead of schedule.

Prediction: Jazz in 7

X-factor: Joe Ingles

West Semifinals: (1) Golden State Warriors vs (5) Utah Jazz

The Jazz, fresh off a difficult series with Los Angeles, run into a buzzsaw in Golden State. Both teams feature defensive studs, as Draymond Green and Rudy Gobert are DPOY candidates. The Warriors will have gotten KD integrated comfortably back into the flow of things by the time the second round hits, and there's no easy way for Utah to challenge Steph and Co. in a 7 game series. The Jazz will need mammoth contributions from Derrick Favors and George Hill, and even that won't be enough to last in the ring with heavyweight champion GS. The Warriors mean business, and not much slows them down at this stage of the playoffs.

Prediction: Warriors in 5

X-factor: Draymond Green

West Semifinals: (2) San Antonio Spurs vs (3) Houston Rockets

The battle for Texas has the makings of a 7 game slugfest. San Antonio took 3 of 4 regular season meetings, but 3 of the 4 games were decided by 2 points. Westbrook will likely win MVP, but Harden is right with him, and Leonard is right behind Harden. Seeing two of the top three MVP candidates square off will be awesome. The Rockets' 3-point shooting helped them get past OKC, but the Spurs are able to survive that onslaught, as proven by their 3 wins in the regular season despite Houston's 38.8 percent effort from beyond the arc. It is worth noting that San Antonio's 3-point defense finished in the top 5 in the NBA, which reflects the defense Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green brings to the table. Ultimately, this could boil down to experience, and San Antonio's playoff experience far exceeds Houston's.

Prediction: Spurs in 7

X-factor: Patty Mills

West Finals: (1) Golden State Warriors vs (2) San Antonio Spurs

In the 2013 West Semifinals, a young Golden State squad had the Spurs tied up 2-2. Ever since then, this has been the dream matchup in the West. The Warriors have morphed into a juggernaut, and San Antonio continues to succeed under Gregg Popovich. This time around, we will get to see the two teams go at each other at full strength. The tipping factor is Kevin Durant, as the combination of him, Steph, and Klay is just too much to stop over a 7 game series. If KD is not with Golden State, San Antonio wins this series in 6, and also wins the championship. The only thing that keeps the Spurs' Finals hopes alive is if GS struggles with chemistry. Durant missed a huge chunk of the regular season with an injury, and if he is not completely integrated back into the system when the Spurs come calling, there might be trouble for the Warriors.

Prediction: Warriors in 6

X-factor: Kevin Durant

East Quarterfinals: (1) Boston Celtics vs (8) Chicago Bulls

The last time Boston was the top seed in the East, KG and Ray Allen joined forces with Paul Pierce to win a title. Things are different this time around. Despite being the 1 seed in the East, the Celtics could easily get beat by just about any of the 2-8 seeds. Chicago enters the playoffs riding the hot hand of Jimmy Butler, who has quietly had a very impressive season. The effort of Rajon Rondo and health of Dwayne Wade will play a major part in how this series plays out. Boston has a plethora of defensive options on the wing to pester the Bulls' outside shooting. Thomas is a strong scorer who will elevate his game down the stretch of the 4th quarter. Overall, the Celtics will be pushed by Chicago due to an average inside defense and poor defensive rebounding. The season series was split at 2-2, with only one game being a blowout (Celtics win). Boston's San Antonio-like style on offense might be the determining factor, as everyone on the roster plays in their role effectively.

Prediction: Celtics in 7

X-factor: Jae Crowder

East Quarterfinals: (2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs (7) Indiana Pacers

For the fourth time in six postseasons, LeBron and Paul George will face off in what will be the most highly anticipated first round matchup in the East. The Cavs dominated the season series, winning 3 of 4. Indiana's lone win came in a game where James sat out. The most recent meeting, however, was a very close game that saw LBJ and PG13 matching each other shot for shot down the stretch in a double-OT thriller. LeBron usually saves his best for the playoffs, and when you consider that Cleveland still managed to win that double-OT game with their defense playing as bad as it did, I'd like to think they'll be just fine vs the Pacers. Indiana has brought back Lance Stephenson, and he will do what he can to annoy the heck out of LeBron, but there's really not much else they can hope for than to steal a game or two before being sent back home.

Prediction: Cavaliers in 5

X-factor: Lance Stephenson

East Quarterfinals: (3) Toronto Raptors vs (6) Milwaukee Bucks

It's finally time to see what an All-Star caliber Giannis Antetokounmpo can do in the postseason. After becoming one of only five players in league history to lead his team in all 5 major statistical categories in a season, the Greek Freak is locked and loaded heading into this series vs the Raptors. Although Milwaukee finished in the middle of the pack in nearly every statistical category, they have the potential to do some damage. Alongside Giannis, Jason Kidd's squad has some wing perimeter threats (Middleton), inside scoring off the bench (Monroe), and postseason experience (Dellavedova). Toronto, on the other hand, has a top 10 offense and defense. They have a fantastic core of Lowry, DeRozan, and Valanciunas, with players like DeMarre Carroll and Norman Powell contributing as needed. The mid-season acquisitions of Serge Ibaka and PJ Tucker make the Raptors all the more dangerous. The addition of Tucker reminds me a lot of the role DeShawn Stevenson had on the Mavericks' 2011 championship team. Here, his role in sticking to Giannis and staying physical will play a big part in the outcome of the series. Ultimately, the Bucks are still a year or two away from breaking into the second round.

Prediction: Raptors in 6

X=factor: PJ Tucker

East Quarterfinals: (4) Washington Wizards vs (5) Atlanta Hawks

For the first time since they've been a backcourt duo in the league, John Wall and Bradley Beal are fully healthy and ready to take the playoffs by storm. Wall has been the best point guard in the East this season, and the Wizards are tough to beat when Otto Porter rises to the occasion. Washington took 3 of 4 in the regular season, thanks in large part to the play of those three players aforementioned. Atlanta brings a top 5 defense into the series, with numerous perimeter stoppers and a rejuvenated Dwight Howard roaming the paint. Schroder, Bazemore, and Sefolosha will be largely responsible for attempting to silence Wall and Beal...good luck. The postseason is for superstars, and John Wall has the ability to take over games at times. Atlanta's saving grace will be their offense - the only problem is that half the time it never shows up.

Prediction: Wizards in 6

X-factor: Otto Porter

East Semifinals: (1) Boston Celtics vs (4) Washington Wizards

Having this rivalry play out in the second round would definitely help the perception of the East in comparison to the West. In a conference where it's pretty much LeBron's team and then everyone else way behind, it's good to generate a story with eye-catching headlines. This is a very balanced matchup, and the season series was split 2-2. When the trade deadline was approaching in February, many people felt the Celtics needed to acquire a star player to compliment Isaiah Thomas. No move was made, and that in turn is what will hurt them the most. If this series becomes a high-scoring affair, who else do the C's have to pour in 20 a night? Add in that Washington's second unit is settling in nicely, and there's no need to be surprised when this upset happens.

Prediction: Wizards in 6

X-factor: Bojan Bogdanovic

East Semifinals: (2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs (3) Toronto Raptors

In a rematch of last year's conference finals, the defending champion Cavs square off against an interesting Raptors squad. Cleveland took 3 of 4 games in the regular season, with Toronto's lone win coming at the very end of the season when LeBron sat out. However, all three of the Cavs' wins were by 4 points or less. In order for the Raptors to turn those close losses into wins, they need the improved play of DeRozan to translate from the regular season to the postseason; that lack of transition is what ultimately cost Toronto the series last year. Cleveland's dysfunctional defense will give Canada's team a chance to pull the upset. On the other hand, Cleveland's offense is so good that they might have just enough to overcome those defensive woes. It also doesn't hurt having King James on their team.

Prediction: Cavaliers in 7

X-factor: Tristan Thompson

East Finals: (2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs (4) Washington Wizards

Washington has what it takes to go blow for blow with the Cavs, and we saw that in the regular season. Although Cleveland did win 2 of 3, the Wizards were seconds away from snagging a second game before LeBron hit a miraculous three in what was probably the game of the year. Both teams play great offense with questionable defense. The point guard matchup is intriguing, as Wall and Irving will likely not be able to stop each other. This series boils down to who can play any form of consistent defense, and while the Cavs have been awful in that aspect, I think they can flip the switch - even if just a little bit - and take care of business.

Prediction: Cavaliers in 6

X-factor: Kevin Love

NBA Finals: (1) Golden State Warriors vs (2) Cleveland Cavaliers

Part three. It's what everyone has been anticipating since last June. Hopefully, both teams will make it to the Finals at full strength so we can witness elevated greatness. Last year LeBron did the impossible, coming back from down 3-1 to fulfill his prophecy as the chosen one and bring Cleveland a championship. This year will be just as difficult, if not more so, thanks to Kevin Durant. The new-look Warriors have gone through parts of the season looking absolutely unbeatable, and if KD can stay healthy throughout the playoffs, GS has a very high chance of getting their second ring in three years. I know what some of you are thinking - weren't the Warriors looking unbeatable last year when they won 73 games? Yes, and here is why this year's team is different: there is no longer the immense pressure to win a title after setting an NBA record for wins in a season. On top of that, they now have an additional ball-handling scorer that can take stress off of Curry when his shot isn't falling. Imagine if Durant was with the Warriors the back half of the Finals when Steph went cold...if that were the case, GS wins the championship. Now, take this year: Golden State has the best offense in the league and plays championship defense. Cleveland, despite clear defensive issues, has the offensive firepower to make it out of the East, but is not yet strong enough to withstand a team like the Warriors. Since last year's finals matchup, Cleveland has added Kyle Korver, Deron Williams, and Derrick Williams into the mix. All three have key roles, but they - on top of just about everyone on the entire Cavs roster - will have to play the series of their life to take down the superteam that is Golden State.

Prediction: Warriors in 6

X-factor: Andre Iguodala