2016 Wasn't That Bad

2016 Wasn't That Bad

Everyone on social media has been complaining that 2016 has been a bad year, but I think differently.

3
Carolina Caceres

I constantly see plenty of posts on social media about 2016 being a bad year. Apparently, everyone has come to this consensus that this year has been terrible, but I don’t see it like that at all. While there have been many tragedies that shouldn’t be forgotten, many good things have happened too. Tumblr user, helthehatter, compiled this list of good things that have happened in 2016 that has recently gone viral

http://helthehatter.tumblr.com/post/152910935316/g...

Personally, 2016 has consisted of a lot more good than bad. I think that this year has been the year where I’ve truly started to become the person I will be for the rest of my life. I’ve learned so much about the world and about “adulting”, and I really think that I’ve found friends that will stick with me for a very long time. I’ve traveled this year more than I have in my life, and I was able to do most of that traveling with my best friends.

I travelled to:

Tampa, FL

Orlando, FL…..six times

Fort Myers, FL

Nassau, Bahamas

New York City, NY

Staten Island, NY

Freehold, NJ

Spain (Madrid, Granada, Sevilla, San Sebastián, Cáceres, Luarca and Burgos)

Valle Nuevo, DR

Savannah, GA

Blowing Rock, NC

I love traveling, because I always learn so much, not only about being more independent, but also about the history and culture of the place I travel to.

One of the best things I did this year was my mission trip to the Dominican Republic. I went with a group of about 20 other college students to a very poor town in the DR. We were there for eight days working to build a water system for the town so that they could have running water. While we were there, we bonded, not only with each other, but with the Dominicans who were very welcoming. It was incredible to observe how they live and see that even though they have so little, they are so happy. That experience taught me so many lessons that I brought back to my own life.

Another fun thing that happened this year was that I started volunteering at an event called Pressplay. Pressplay is a tour that travels around the US and Canada and holds meet & greets and concerts with social media influencers. In 2016, I volunteered at six different Pressplay events. Volunteering at these events has helped me further decide what I want to do in my career; I’ve also made some great friends through Pressplay and memories that’ll stay with me forever.

Although at every Pressplay there is a concert, I went to quite a few other concerts this year as well. If you know me, you know that I love concerts. Everything about them makes me happy, even the annoying things, because I know that they are all part of the experience.

Some concerts that I went to in 2016 include:

James Bay

Twenty One Pilots

Hoodie Allen

Jon Bellion

Nick Jonas & Demi Lovato

The 1975

Troye Sivan

Panic! At the Disco

iHeart Radio Pool Party

iHeart Radio Fiesta Latina

These are just some of the good things that happened to me in 2016, but I hope it inspires you to think of everything good that happened to you. There’s no point in thinking negatively and just writing this year off as a bad one; there’s some good in everything, you just have to have an open mind and be understanding. I hope this year contained more good than bad for you, and I hope 2017 brings you lots of happiness and love. Happy New Year!