2016: The 7 Lessons I've learned

2016: The 7 Lessons I've learned

The year may have been bad, but we learned from it.

8
2016: The 7 Lessons I've learned
Truth Movement

With the new year upon us, there is a lot that makes me reflect on the events of the past year. I think back to all that has happened to the world and the impacts it has created on us. The year may have been rough but it has taught us many valuable lessons, and with this we have become stronger. We have lived another year, we have grown, we have improved.

All I tend to hear is the complaints of how bad 2016 was and all the bad thigs that happened. I see the countdowns of 2016 with everyone crossing fingers hoping 2017 is better. I understand the past year 2016 was full of devastation in many different sectors of our lives. In regards to our health and safety the Zika virus, and Ebola wreaked havoc in many areas and threatened the United States. In politics, the election and the drama that circulated around it affected the whole country splitting it in half. In regards to terrorist attacks, the shooting in Florida and France was awful and a hard act to watch. Our pop culture even suffered with many sad deaths of celebrities we grew up with including, Christina Grimmie, Debbie Reyolds, David Bowie, George Micheal and Carrie Fisher. May they rest in peace. In international news, Brexit hit England hard and many worried for a sound recovery. SO after a long reflection I have decided to not dwell on the negative and take each of these events and construct a more productive outlook and share the seven important lessons that 2016 has taught me.

Cherish every moment

With all the sadness that surrounded 2016 and the terrifying events that took place, we have learned to cherish every moment. You never know when it is your last moment with someone or how important a moment can be to someone you love. Cherish life and everything it gives you because it is all part of our journey. We learn from all experiences and moments, so embrace them. Life is too short to worry constantly so just live your live to the fullest and learn to do what you love, even if it means doing it alone.

Expect the unexpected

With the election, Trump running and then eventually becoming the new president elect was a surprise. It taught us to expect the unexpected and to use our voices more. Nothing is certain in life and with all the disasters 2016 had to offer, we did not expect many of them. Live life one day at a time because you never know what is going to happen. You never know what will affect your life.

Never talk about politics

With all the election drama and the country splitting in half, we learned how to talk about politics. The country was divided in this election and with the holidays, it created some awkward conversations. When discussing politics, either don’t discuss it at all or respect everyone’s opinion. Political debates should not be a reason to end a friendship and destroy a family dinner conversation. Keep your political opinion to yourself or be willing to hear the opposing argument.

Accept everyone’s differences

With the shootings and terrorist attacks, the results were devastating. It taught us that we need to except everyone’s differences and to treat everyone as an equal. If we do not try to understand others, these despicable acts with continue to happen. Be compassionate and sympathetic to others and try to see their point of view. We saw attacks on Trump and Hillary supporters with no one trying to understand the other sides point of view.

Do not care what others say

Confidence is key. This lesson was very personal because I experienced it. When people talk about you behind your back, they do not know you or have the right to do that. The opinion of someone who doesn’t know the real you should not matter to you. The only thing that should matter is how you think of yourself. Do not let others control you by what they say. There is always going to be someone talking about you or saying something mean, but do not let that affect how you see yourself.

Sometimes you need to put YOU first

This is another personal lesson I learned. I used to put others before me and help everyone. I used to put others needs before mine, but in 2016 I saw that it pulls you so thin and helping everyone can be exhausting. You cannot forget about yourself. Put you first sometimes and do things you want to do; you will feel much better.

Do your research

If Brexit is any example, then we have realized doing research behind something is important, especially before you vote on it. Do a background search on something that confuses you because you never know when it will affect you or how. We saw in politics that the media can skew things, increasing the need to do research for yourself and not just trusting media sources. Be informed and educated, it is the best way to form an opinion.

All in all have a good new year and try to look on the bright side of things. Hopefully 2017 will not be as bad. Take these lessons and ad apt them for you and your journey into the new year and make your new year’s resolutions. Cheers and have a happy new year!