A Thank You Letter To 2016

A Thank You Letter To 2016

A letter from an eternal optimist

35
A Thank You Letter To 2016

2016, what can I say? I don’t think anyone would consider you a “glass half-full” situation. In fact, many don’t even think you were as good as a “glass half empty”. Basically, you were the year equivalent to a glass of red wine spilled on a new white carpet. Now, I bet you think this will be some scathing break up letter, full of profanities and big words about why I’m leaving you for 2017, the guy I told you never to worry about. But, 2016, I am what they call an eternal optimist. That is why instead of a “screw you”, I am opting for a “thank you”.

Let’s face it, you took a lot of people from us. You took Muhammad Ali, David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Alan Thicke, Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds, and the list just seemed to go on forever. You even took the creator of the red solo cup, which was just petty and excessive. But, as these 365 days end, I really just have to thank you for all the life that came into the world this trip around the sun. While many focused on the deaths, the fact that about 130 million babies were born seemed to slip their mind. Although the greats that were lost can never be replaced, these new little lives have the potential to grow up into “greats” of other kinds. For all we know, someone born this year could have the cure for cancer, be the next president, be a great humanitarian, athlete, movie star, singer… (again, the list goes on forever). So, thank you 2016, for 130 million possibilities of human greatness.

A lot of people got on your case for Harambe, a gorilla shot too soon (may he rest in peace). But, upon careful consideration, you were a great year for animals. The clothing brand Armani stopped using real fur in their fashion, proving cruelty free was in 2016 style. Trip Advisor refuses to sell tickets to attractions where animals are treated unfairly, like elephant rides and swimming with dolphins. The Dutch are working on a plan to end animal testing, Argentina banned dog racing, Korean dog meat sales are dwindling, Sea World is ending the orca-breeding program, and countless other animal rights triumphs took place. Thanks, 2016, for showing us that compassion for animal friends is important to you, despite a certain primate’s demise.

But let’s be real here, the reason why everyone thinks you’re a jerk is because of all of the political and international tragedies that occurred under your keen watch. A presidential election all but tore the United States apart, the refugee crisis was crippling, and terrorist attacks and hate crimes were the throbbing heartbeat of the year. The Orlando shooting, Bastille Day terrorist attack, the terrorism in Aleppo, and the many crimes against women and minorities are a few of the wounds left unhealed. Heck, everything Donald Trump said added salt to those wounds. I guess there was really no escaping your wrath, 2016. While no silver linings can be found in these events, there is one thing that we can all thank you for. Thank you for making us so angry, thank you for showing us the need for change, and thank you for instilling in us the knowledge that we must take action now to bring about the difference our world so desperately needs. Because of you, a new generation of fighters were born; fighters who will stand up against terrorism, violence, and hatred, fighters who refuse to see a repeat of you.