2016-17 NFL Season: My Bold Predictions For All 32 Teams

The NFL season is finally here. Might as well make some premature predictions before a down is played.

38
www.sportingnews.com

This is my favorite time of year. Not because school is starting back up and the summer is coming to an end. The NFL season is finally here. This is a time where fans of every NFL team finds any possible reason that their team will finally make the Super Bowl. A time where people are leaving church services early to catch the 1 p.m. tip-off. A time where I will spend my Sundays ordering Chinese food while being locked in my room watching football all day with my friends. The first preseason game is approaching and even though these games don't mean a thing I am so excited just to watch football. Everyone may have an opinion but nobody really knows what is going to happen this season. With that said I'm going to give it a shot. Here are my opinions and predictions for every team for the 2016-2017 NFL season.

32. San Francisco 49ers (3-13)

What happened to the 49ers? Didn't they make the Super Bowl a couple seasons back and were considered one of the best teams in NFL. Times have changed and the 49ers future doesn't look to bright. They have lost a lot of talent, especially from the skill positions because of transactions and retirements. What make things worst is the 49ers come into the season with a quarterback controversy between Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. With no decision on a quarterback, really young players, no depth and Chip Kelly as the head coach it may be a while until the 49ers become relevant.

31. Indianapolis Colts (6-10)

Andrew Luck is back. To win in the NFL you need a solid quarterback, the Colts have their guy for years to come if he stays healthy. But what else do they have? Offense alone can't get it done week and week out. The Colts defense needs some serious revamping. They only accumulated 35 sacks last season and couldn't keep Luck from getting sacked. The Colts aren't terrible but they aren't really good right now either.

30. San Diego Chargers (8-8)

Let's just get this out of the way. I am a die hard San Diego Charger fan, so if you want to skip this because of my emotional feelings towards them go right ahead. Nothing really has changed offensively. Philip Rivers is still a great quarterback in even at 35 years of age. Keenan Allen, Antonio Gates, and Danny Woodhead give him solid targets. The acquisition of former Browns receiver Travis Benjamin gives the team some speed. But I'm still nervous about the defense which has killed them over the years. Eric Weddle is gone which leaves a big hole in the secondary. San Diego drafted Joey Bosa with the third overall pick to bring some pass rushing but it's a game of wait and see with him. I love my team but I really can't get excited about them season.

29. Miami Dolphins (4-12)

Two words describe these Miami Dolphins, "below average". Their defense is shaky at best and Ryan Tannehill can be very erratic at quarterback. The only bright spot I see for the Dolphins is Jarvis Landry and DeVante Parker as solid young receivers. But when a team changes their general manager and coach in the same year that usually means trouble.

28. Philadelphia Eagles (4-12)

Sam Bradford maybe the starting quarterback right now but the pressure is on. The Eagles drafted Carson Wentz with the number 2 overall pick, which only means one thing. The Eagles are concerned about the future rather than the present. This team has one of the best front sevens in the league but look for that defense to stay longer than usual. As soon Sam Bradford wets the bed they will insert the rookie Wentz. With Bradford likely out the door and with the mess former coach Chip Kelly left, look for the Eagles to have a potential rebuild season.

27. New York Jets (10-6)

On paper the Jets has everything a team needs to be successful. A solid defense, with Muhammad Wilkerson patrolling the front seven and the great cornerback Darrelle Revis locking down opposing receivers. On offense, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker are becoming a great receiving tandem, while the signing of Matt Forte gives them a versatile running back. It's just one problem with the Jets, their quarterback. Is Ryan Fitzpatrick the guy? They were one game away from the playoffs last year but in the game with everything on the line Fitzpatrick threw three interceptions and lost to the Bills. The Jets have missed the playoffs for five straight seasons, they have the talent to make it back. But can Ryan Fitzpatrick get them over the top?

26. Washington Redskins (8-8)

Sure, the Redskins won their division last year. But are they going to the same this upcoming season? All nine of the wins last season were against teams with losing records. DeSean Jackson, Kurt Cousins and newly signed All-Pro cornerback Josh Norman gives the Redskins a lot to work with. But let's see if they are contenders or pretenders because their schedule this year won't be too kind.

25. New Orleans Saints (5-11)

When you think of the Saints you think of one person, Drew Brees. Brees is universally recognized as one of the elite signal callers in football. But he alone can't save them. With no running game or defense to speak of, that both ranked 31st looked for them to lose many games just because they can't keep the opposing team from the end zone.

24. Detroit Lions (6-10)

The Lions are in a state of transition. They just lost one the best wide receivers the game has seen in Calvin Johnson. Where do they go from here? Matthew Stafford has great talent but can he become the leader of a team who's in desperate need of hope. The Lions won't be terrible but they are not where they need to be. If they get some new weapons on a offense to offset the lost of Johnson and get a better secondary they could be solid. But who knows how long that could take, I doubt it would be this year.

23. Kansas City Chiefs ( 9-7)

The Chiefs are one of the most well balanced teams in the NFL and have been for years. They have solid defense with Eric Berry and Justin Houston. A conservative but effective offense with Jeremey Maclin, Travis Kelce and Alex Smith. But they are consistently good at being inconsistent. They will go on 6-7 week stretch where the look fantastic then they plummet out of nowhere. They will probably make it to the playoffs, but whether if it's in the first or second round they will end up going home.

22. Dallas Cowboys (8-8)

How bout them Cowboys?! I'll tell you, they are unquestionably the most talked about team that doesn't win. One man can change that and it's Tony Romo. If Romo stays healthy the Cowboys are a solid team. But that's the issue he never does. The Cowboys have talent everywhere but like Stephen A. Smith often says, "They are a accident waiting to happen". They will look good for a while but something always gets in the way of their prosperity. With Romo, Dez Bryant, Ezekiel Elliot and a bend but don't break defense, the Cowboys are pretty good. But they always seem to get in their own way.

21. Tennessee Titans (5-11)

The Tennessee Titans are an improved football team but they are not anything special yet. Their defense will be no laughing matter because they have on the best and most respected defensive coordinators in the NFL in Dick LeBeau. They signed former Cowboys and Eagles running back DeMarco Murray to boost their run game. But Marcus Mariota needs help. As a young quarterback with good potential he needs some reliable targets and that's some things the Titans lack.

20. Denver Broncos (10-6)

The Denver Broncos are the reigning and defending Super Bowl Champs. Even though Peyton Manning has finally retired and they resigned Super Bowl MVP Von Miller to a mega-deal the Broncos are one of the best teams in the AFC. The defense is arguably the best the league but can they go another year with marginal at best quarterback play? With Mark Sanchez taking canter, that's what they'll get. If Sanchez doesn't turn the ball over as much as a baby cries and relives his embarrassing "butt fumble" tragedy, the Broncos will have a good season once again.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-8)

I see the Buccaneers team as a one of the surprising good young teams this year. They won't make the playoffs but they will give many teams a fight. Jameis Winston is going to be great quarterback very soon and is already the leader of that football team in his second season. Doug Martin is one of the best running backs that does not get talked about and Mike Evans is a huge target for Winston in the passing game. The defense has solid players but they can give up a lot of big plays at times. With a new coach and young core, the Buccaneers seem to be going in the right direction.

18. Houston Texans (7-9)

The Texans have always been that team that needed a quarterback. If they had a reliable quarterback they would be one of the best teams in the AFC. So they go and break the bank to get Brock Osweiler, who is considered an upgrade based the Texans former signal callers. Osweiler hasn't proved a lot but he now has his own team and has the skills to be a consistent quarterback. With Deandre Hopkins as one of the premier receivers in the game he should have no problem. But the Texans team captain and All-Pro defensive end J.J. Watt had back surgery and could be out a while. That's a huge blow to this team and they may stumble out of the gate.

17. Buffalo Bills (8-8)

If Rex Ryan coaches your team, the defense will be really good. But if Rex Ryan coaches your team offense can be a problem. Last year the Bills had the 28th best passing attack and they haven't added any weapons to help Sammy Watkins on the outside. So look for the Bills to run the ball with LeSean McCoy, one of the dynamic running backs in the game. But I don't know if running the ball all the time is the answer.

16. Atlanta Falcons (8-8)

Have the Falcons improved enough in the off-season to dethrone their division rival Carolina Panthers. The answer is no. Look for another mediocre at best season where the offense will put huge numbers with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. But the defense,which lacks linebackers and playmakers will ruin it for them.

15. Los Angeles Rams (6-10)

The NFL is finally back in Los Angeles. The team isn't that bad either. Todd Gurley has become a superstar running back, Aaron Donald has emerged as one if the elite interior lineman in the league and with the number 1 overall pick they drafted Jared Goff as their new franchise quarterback. Look for Goff and the Rams to have rebuild year but still be competitive. They are heading in the right direction.

14. New York Giants (10-6)

I have a feeling that this is going to be a good year for the Giants. Their offense is set with Eli Manning and must see TV himself Odell Beckham Jr. Victor Cruz is also coming off injury to help out as well. But the Giants needed defense in they broke the bank for it. They have spent over $200 million in free agency getting players to make the defense formidable. I only worry about their run game because their running backs are average at best. Nevertheless, the Giants are primed to win the NFC East division.

13. Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

Last year the injury bug arrived at M&T Bank Stadium and took everyone out. Terrell Suggs, their best defensive player, Steve Smith to Achilles injury that almost forced retirement and Joe Flacco suffered a torn ACL later in the season. But I see the Ravens rebounding back, with everyone returning healthy and returning for playoff contention. A John Harbaugh coached team always seems to compete.

12. Chicago Bears (6-10)

The Chicago Bears will be a better team than they have been for the last two seasons. Head coach John Fox finds away to improve a ball club he is on. But this team still has so many problems. They play in a tough NFC North division, the secondary unit is one of the weakest in the NFL, and most importantly they have Jay Cutler as their quarterback. Cutler has underachieved in his stent in Chicago and think the trend will continue unless he improves his play.

11. Oakland Raiders (9-7)

Look out, the Oakland Raiders are on the come up. After years and years mediocre seasons the Raiders on paper have the potential to be a playoff team. Derek Carr and Amari Cooper have developed chemistry on offense and that defense has taken steps forward. Especially because of Khalil Mack's rise as a player. Let's see if the Raiders can live up to expectation and get back to glory.

10. Cincinnati Bengals (8-8)

I believe the Bengals take a step back this year as one of the leaders of the AFC. Yes, they still have Andy Dalton and A.J. Green but have lost a lot of pieces due to free agency. They still have talent but I think it's psychological with the Bengals. They cannot win a playoff game to save their lives. Every year they look like Super Bowl contenders but when they get into the playoffs, they play like they do not belong. The Bengals can easily prove me wrong but it doesn't seem like they will.

9. Cleveland Browns (2-14)

I'm so glad LeBron James won something for Cleveland because as far as the football team goes it doesn't seem like their winning anything. I'm happy Robert Griffin is getting a chance to revive his career. Too bad it's on a bad team. Josh Gordon comes back after being suspended for substance abuse, hopefully he can get back to being an elite receiver. But this team lacks talent all around. Sorry Cleveland but the Browns don't look to good this year.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6)

I can't believe I'm going to say this, the Jacksonville Jaguars will make the playoffs. On paper, with the young talent they received over the years and this years draft their defense will be close to legit. The offensive line still has issues but Blake Bortles is turning into a franchise quarterback. Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns both put 1,000 yard receiving seasons. The Jaguars will make the playoffs by default because right now they look like the best team in the AFC south division.

7. Green Bay Packers (12-4)

Aaron Rodgers is a BAD man! As long as he is the quarterback I don't see why the Packers aren't considered Super Bowl contenders every year. They also get Rodgers' number one target Jordy Nelson back from injury, which makes them even more formidable. Packers will have another solid season.

6. Arizona Cardinals (11-5)

The Cardinals are an elite team in the NFL. They have an elite coach in Bruce Arians, an elite defense with Tyran Matheiu and Patrick Peterson, an elite reciever in Larry Fitzgerald and an elite quarterback in Carson Palmer. When healthy, this team can beat anybody. But Palmer and Fitzgerald are getting up their in age and their window for winning a Super Bowl is closing. The Cardinals have the team to win right now. But we will see if it's finally the Cardinals year.

5. New England Patriots (11-5)

Unless you've been living under a rock, everyone knows that Tom Brady is suspended for the first four games of the NFL season because of "Deflategate". But who cares. The Patriots are a machine and still would be winning even with Brady out. When Brady comes back in week five, everyone look out because Brady is going to go crazy. With Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Bill Bilichick running the show, it look likes another Super Bowl run.

4. Minnesota Vikings (10-6)

The Vikings will end up making the playoffs and they should be everybody's sleeper team. This team is really good. Adrian Peterson is still a freak physical specimen, their defense is young and legit and they have drafted Stefon Diggs and LaQuan Treadwell to be solid receiving targets. But x-factor is their quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater. If Bridgewater can throw the ball down field consistently to make this office well-rounded the Vikings should be really respectable.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5)

The Pittsburgh Steelers have the potential to be the best offense in the NFL. Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell are arguably the best in their positions. The offense is so deadly that those three alone could easily win the Super Bowl. What's stopping them? Their defense, mainly their secondary needs improvement. But even with their defense being mediocre at best they will still have a great season. They will likely win their division.

2. Seattle Seahawks (11-5)

It's a forgone conclusion that the Seattle Seahawks will be a playoff and Super Bowl Contender. The Legion of Boom is still in full effect and Russell Wilson seems to get better every year. I still believe for you want to make to the Super Bowl from the NFC, you must go through the Seahawks first.

1. Carolina Panthers (13-3)

The Panthers are going to be even better this season compared to last. The Panthers played last season without Cam Newton's most deadly and important weapon, Kelvin Benjamin. Benjamin is back and is a top 10 receiver in the NFL when healthy and the fact the Panthers still made the Super Bowl without him is scary. The Panthers defense is still elite even with lost of Josh Norman. I have them making it back to the Super Bowl, while Cam Newton continues dab and score touchdowns.