2000s Dream Team

2000s Dream Team

The best players of the 2000s.

38
2000s Dream Team
nydailynews

The 2000s were on of the best decades in baseball history. We witnessed some of the greatest players of all time. This is my 2000s dream team.

Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez

Although Mike Piazza was the best hitting catcher of the decade, Ivan Rodriguez wasn't too far behind him. To go along with Pudge’s 311 homers and .296 career average, he is also one of the best defensive catchers of all time. In addition to his 13 Gold Gloves, he was also the 1999 AL MVP.

First Base: Albert Pujols

An obvious choice to this team. There is no doubt Pujols is the best first baseman of the 2000’s, perhaps even the best hitter. The Machine won 3 MVP’s in the decade. In his career, he is approaching 3,000 hits and 600 home runs. Albert has also won two rings and two gold gloves, as his defense was even a little underrated. He is a clear cut first ballot Hall Of Famer.

Second Base: Chase Utley:

Although Utley made his debut in 2003, he didn’t play his first full season until 2005, and he was quickly recognized as one of the best second basemens in the league. From 2005 to 2009, Utley had 146 home runs while hitting over .300. He was also a huge part of the Phillies playoff runs which included a world series in 2008, and a world series loss in 2009.

Third Base: Alex Rodriguez

Although he was at his best as a shortstop, I’m moving him to third just like the Yankees did in 2004. The three time MVP is arguably one of the best players of all time. With over 3,000 hits and 696 home runs, A-Rod has to be on the Dream Team.

Shortstop: Derek Jeter

Every team needs a leader. The Captain is of course the starting shortstop of this team. Jeter has racked up over 3,400 hits, which is good for 6th all time. The 14 time All-Star has won five gold gloves to go along with his five championships.

Left Field: Barry Bonds

One of the greatest players of all time, if not the greatest. Bonds is the home run king, as he smashed 762 over the course of his career. Bonds is perhaps the most feared hitter ever, is he drew 2558 walks. Not only was he a power hitter, he could run too. Bonds is one of the four forty-forty players in baseball history.

Center Field: Ken Griffey Jr.

Of course The Kid is the starting starting center fielder on a 2000’s dream team. Jr. hit over 600 home runs, and won 10 consecutive gold gloves. The 13 time all-star is one of the most exciting players to play the game.

Right Field: Ichiro

The Japanese phenom came over to the MLB in 2001, and was immediately a star. In his first year, he won the AL Rookie Of The Year and the AL MVP. With over 3,000 career hits, 10 straight years of 200 hits, and 10 consecutive gold gloves, Ichiro was one of the best all around layers in the game.

DH: Manny Ramirez

Although Manny played left field for most of his career, he’s going to be the dream team DH. Although Ortiz is more qualified as a DH, Manny was a much better hitter. WIth 555 home runs, the career .312 hitter was a liability in the field, which is why he’s the designated hitter.

Starting Pitcher: Pedro Martinez

Pedro had perhaps the greatest prime of any pitcher ever. With three Cy Youngs, Pedro led the league in ERA five times. Pedro has a career record of 219-100 with over 3,000 k’s.

Closing Pitcher: Mariano Rivera

Obviously, the closer is Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer ever. The all time saves leader has accumulated 652 saves, in addition to his 42 career postseason saves.

Lineup:

1. Ichiro RF
  2. A-Rod 3B
  3. Pujols 1B
  4. Bonds LF
  5. Manny DH
  6. Griffey Jr. CF
  7. Pudge C
  8. Utley 2B
  9. Jeter SS