A 20-Year-Old Girl's Letter to Trump Supporters

How can you teach girls to respect themselves while supporting a man like Donald Trump?

10
esq.h-cdn gallery

I am a 20-year-old girl.

I am a 20-year-old girl currently attending college with three different majors in Marketing, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese.

I am a 20-year-old girl currently attending college with three different majors in Marketing, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese while also working two jobs, participating in numerous clubs, volunteering, and getting straight A’s.

I am a 20-year-old girl forced to witness the heartless and degrading comments made by presidential candidate Donald Trump.

I do not believe that, if elected, Donald Trump would ruin our country, bring about World War III, or cut us off from the rest of the world. Frankly, I do not think that Donald Trump would do anything while in office. It is not his potential actions while in office that keep me awake at night, but rather his actions in the past, and his continuous actions every single day that leave me tossing and turning.

As a hardworking, motivated, proud young woman, the behavior and comments made by Donald Trump cut me to my core. Some of these very comments can be found below:

“Putting a wife to work is a very dangerous thing… I have days where I think it’s great. And I have days where, if I come home – and I don’t want to sound too much like a chauvinist – but when I come home and dinner’s not ready, I go through the roof.” — Interview with ABC News, 1994
“It’s certainly not groundbreaking news that the early victories by the women on ‘The Apprentice’ were, to a very large extent, dependent on their sex appeal.” — How To Get Rich, 2004

“26,000 unreported sexual assults in the military-only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?” — Trump’s Twitter Account

“You know, it doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of a**.” — from an interview with Esquire, 1991

“I mean, we could say politically correct that look doesn’t matter, but the look obviously matters,” Trump said to a female reporter in a clip featured on “Last Week Tonight.” “Like you wouldn’t have your job if you weren’t beautiful.”

I have seen women manipulate men with just a twitch of their eye — or perhaps another body part.” — Trump: The Art of the Comeback, 1997

“All of the women on ‘The Apprentice’ flirted with me — consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.” — How To Get Rich, 2004

It is one thing to have misogynistic and sexist comments spouted on social media or in the privacy of someone’s home, but to have the potential leader of the country that I live in continue to demean and insult entire groups of people day in and day out, yet still receive support from seemingly educated people is nearly too much for me to handle. I have lofty goals for myself as a future businesswoman in an already male-dominated profession, but if Trump is elected I can kiss those goals goodbye. I am not saying that Trump would directly enact legislation to restrict my future success, but by supporting a man that has gotten away with such blatantly sexist statements, we are inherently condoning similar sexist behavior in the future.

I do not care what Donald Trump’s economic or social policies may be- if the majority of our country supports someone with such a blatant disregard for me and so many other minorities in this country, then we as a democracy have failed. By overlooking Trump’s horrific statements, we will be telling ourselves as well as the rest of the world that we do not value respect or compassion for those that are different than us. So to Trump supporters, I only have one thing to say: I am a 20-year-old girl, and your support for the misogynistic bigot that is Donald Trump makes me feel as though my hard work and determination is for nothing, since, according to Trump, it really only matters what I look like.