The 20 Best Christmas Songs

The 20 Best Christmas Songs

I just want you for my own

13
The 20 Best Christmas Songs

I'm not going to lie and come right out to say I've been listening to Christmas music since mid-October. I'm not ashamed. Someone who judges me harshly for listening to "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey is no friend of mine. That being said, Christmas music is one of the most important aspects of the season, however long you think the season is. Since some of you lead restrictive lifestyles with Christmas music, I listed the best songs so you can prioritize your time.

1. "Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid

There's nothing like a Christmas song sang by Boy George and company about famine. I think they know it's Christmas, Bono. No it doesn't give an accurate representation of Africa, but at least it's catchy?

2. "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I honestly didn't know this song had a music video until I googled it for this list. I don't really know what's going on, but it's the timeless version apparently. Enjoy.

3. "Dominic the Donkey" by Lou Monte

This was a cornerstone in my upbringing in an Italian-American household. Leave the Tri-State Area and few people know this song. Leave the Tri-State Area and they're confused on why there are donkey sounds in a Christmas song.

4. "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano

There is nothing more passionate than anyone (me) singing this song.

5. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" by Josh Groban

The whole beginning where soldiers are wishing their families a Merry Christmas LIKE C'MON. You have to be an ice queen not to feel anything.

6. "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms

Yeah I can't listen to this song without thinking of Lindsay Lohan, but it's still a classic.

7. "Last Christmas" by Wham!

A CLASSIC. The over-dramatic 80's music video only makes this iconic song even better.

8. "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" by *NSYNC

*NSYNC> The Backstreet Boys

Moving on, ramen-head JT and company singing about the best time of the year for the family is so heartwarming. CLAP ALONG, EVERYONE. SING IT EVERYBODY.

9. "Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane" by Elvis Presley

Hot take: This is better than Gene Autry's version.

10. "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" by Bruce Springsteen

Nothing goes as hard as this. Let's also admire the fact that Bruce sings this year-round.

11. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas" by Michael Buble

I just want a Buble/Groban collaboration Christmas album.

12. "My Only Wish (This Year)" by Britney Spears

I WANT MY BABY, BABY. SANTATHATSMYONLYWISHTHISYEAR.

13. "Little Saint Nick" by The Beach Boys

I can't listen to this song without thinking of polar bears and penguins, which isn't a bad thing.

14. "Christmas in Hollis" by Run-D.M.C.

Long before "Christmas in Harlem" by Kanye West, Run D.M.C. sang about the holidays in another New York neighborhood. They also performed it live on All That so that happened.

15. "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney

"Wow Louisa, how dare you not put John Lennon on this list?" Okay but this is my list and I'm putting Paul instead.

16. "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt

Forget the Kylie Minogue, Michael Buble, Ariana Grande, Miss Piggy, Madonna, and Glee versions, this is the best. It's a song about having the ultimate sugar daddy. Do you know how much sable fur coats, convertibles, and platinum mines cost? A lot. Give Kitt her credit.

17. "Let It Snow" by Frank Sinatra

This song is just so happy and great. I have nothing snarky to say.

18. "Carol of the Bells" by Destiny's Child

Will Beyonce ever come out with a Christmas album? Genuine question.

19. "December (based on 'September')" by Earth, Wind, & Fire

Okay, they saw the opportunity and took it. It's the same song (besides two words), but now Christmas. Nothing wrong with that.

20. "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey

Every Christmas season, Mariah Carey comes out of hiding and makes an appearance on every media platform. Truly iconic and a masterpiece. There's even a book adaptation. You don't see Kylie Minogue's version of "Santa Baby" doing that, do you?