20 Things To Stop Doing By The Time You Turn 20

It's a Work In Progress

359

At some point in time, we all have to realize that we are no longer children and have to begin making adult decisions. When exiting our teen years and entering our twenties, some things become more important than others in our transition into the not-so-easy real world environment. College; however, provides the ability to dip your toe into adult responsibilities without having to dive in headfirst without any sort of safety precautions. Being that in just a few short weeks, I will be turning 20, I have compiled a list of things that should, theoretically, end as you ring in two decades of life, and welcome in all things adult.

1) Relying on your parents to be your main source of income

I get it, you're in college, things are expensive, and jobs take up a lot of time. But you need to start making moves in becoming financially independent. Not only is this important for you to start learning how to manage your own budget with your own hard-earned money, but mommy and daddy should not be funding your bar excursions. #SorryNotSorry

2) Avoiding the gym

The gym is a rough one to stick to, especially when you have a lot going on and always seem to be tired. Recently I have been trying to go to the gym at least once or twice a week early in the mornings and found that, yes the first few times were hell on my severely untrained muscles, but I have more energy throughout the day when I make the effort to go in the mornings and am more awake for my 9:30 classes. Even if the gym itself is not your thing, the flood of ridiculously well built frat boys is intimidating, I'll admit, try to do some at home exercises when you get up every morning or go running!

3) Eating fast food on the regular

It's a lot easier to just go through a drive through than it is to go home and make a full meal, and Chick-Fil-A is quite literally God's gift to Earth, but you can't be eating it everyday, for the sake of your health. It's more than okay to treat yourself here and there and sometimes we only have time to go to the drive through and grab a quick bite, but use discretion. (Side note: I refuse to acknowledge Chipotle as being fast food, so don't tell me I can't eat it on the daily).

4) Neglecting your savings account

When you have a tire that decides to blow, some moron side swipes your car and forgets to leave a note, you have a medical emergency, or you decide that you want to take a trip to Europe after graduation, you'll be thankful that you have a few thousand in the bank. Put away a portion of your paycheck and leave your savings alone. It's tempting to dip into it when your spending money is low, but please refrain to the best of your ability. You'll be happy you did in the long run.

5) Thinking the number of likes on your Instagram photo makes you better than anyone else

This is self-explanatory. The hundreds of likes on your Instagram post does not make up for a less than desirable personality. You are not better than anyone else because you are a self-proclaimed Instagram model.

6) Sleeping past 9 am

Honestly, just get up. You're wasting your day away. Sleeping in every once in a while is okay, but anything much more than that is unnecessary.

7) Pulling all-nighters

College makes this a lot harder to accomplish than it should be, but one simple thing can make it a lot easier: Time Management. If you spend an hour studying for your Legal Studies final every day for two weeks, you won't have to spend fourteen hours cramming the night before.

8) Procrastinating on things that could have been done weeks in advance

If you knew about the term paper that is due at the end of the semester, why would you choose to start it the night before? This is only going to lead to a mediocre paper and sleep exhaustion. Do yourself a solid and start large assignments a few weeks in advance, that way if you have questions you can go in and see your professor and make appropriate revisions.

9) Chasing after f*ckboys who are only concerned about themselves

I'm 19 and still working on this. It's a process, I know. A good place to start? Block numbers and don't reply to Snapchats that are coming in past 12 am. As the very wise Drake once said, "Know yourself, know your worth." Not sure if you are dealing with a "f*ckboy?" Below is an educational YouTube video created by Moe Adams for your convenience. You're welcome.

10) Thinking there is something wrong with you for being single

Enjoy being you. A significant other will come along when they are meant to. Focus on getting yourself together before you factor anyone else into your life equation.

11) Not trying your best to succeed academically

You're only bettering yourself and your future so why would you blow off a class?

12.)Not participating in extra credit opportunities

You don't know how you will do on all the exams coming up in a class. Some may be harder than others. Sometimes you wont have time to study as much as you need to in order to be fully prepared. If there is ever a circumstance where this happens, you'll be happy you have the cushion that extra credit gives your grade.

13) Allowing your parents to make your life decisions

You became an adult when you turned 18. At that point, your parents should not be dictating your life choices. This includes a significant other, what you choose to study, how to spend your money, where you want to travel, etc. While their opinion can be important, you ultimately need to do what is right for YOU.

14) Irresponsibly using your credit card

If you don't need it, don't buy it. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. A credit card is designed for you to be able to purchase necessities and pay bills when sometimes your payroll schedule kind of screws you over in this respect. If you can't pay off your credit card balance within one, MAYBE two months, after a purchase, I guarantee you don't need that item. All you'll do otherwise is ruin your credit score and pay ridiculous amounts in interest. Personally, I only use my debit card, and use my credit card to pay for sorority related expenses and gas, and every time my paycheck comes in, I pay it off.

15) Studying something you are not passionate about

At this point you are only wasting your money and setting yourself up for a career doing something you'll likely hate. While I do not suggest majoring in something that will not be able to get you a reasonably well paying job after graduation, going for a Pre-Med degree when you hate science just because of a bigger paycheck is downright dumb.

16) Neglecting your resume

Having a degree is great, but you need some sort of experience in your field to be able to get a job once you graduate. Unfortunately, nowadays a degree alone doesn't always speak to how well you will be able to do a job--good references and work experiences do. Apply for internships. Many times these will be unpaid, but they provide you with valuable experiences that can ultimately lead you to more advanced, paid work.

17) Passing up opportunities to travel

I recently had the opportunity to go to California this past Summer with my bestfriend and without my parents and it was likely one of my best experiences. If you have the opportunity to travel in the States or to even go abroad, TAKE IT. These chances don't come around as easily and as often once you enter your professional life.

18) Binging on alcohol every chance you get

At some point, enough is enough. You shouldn't be seeking out every opportunity to get drunk (in fact, if you just turned 20, you shouldn't be drinking at all.) Going to FSU, the number one party school in the nation, it is naive to think that drinking isn't happening, but make good choices, know your limits, and be careful.

19) Re-downloading Tinder

It's nice to be reminded that someone out there thinks you are attractive, but you really shouldn't be resorting to Tinder. Because are you really going to go to that frat guy's house later tonight like he's asking? No. Are you going to actually meet that cute boy with tattoos and a motorcycle for lunch. Hard pass. Although I am guilty of re-downloading the app here and there for kicks and giggles, it is something I really do try to avoid. I'd much rather see you text an ex than meet up with someone on Tinder, that's how much I dislike that app. Things can get so sketchy so fast.

20) Forgetting to take care of your own mental health

Before you can focus on anything and anyone else, you need to focus on yourself. Stress is dangerous and it isn't something to be taken lightly, and unfortunately, college is a breeding ground for it. Don't be afraid to take mental health days to just relax and sort yourself out outside of school, work, or your social life.