20 Things To Do At The Jersey Shore

20 Things To Do At The Jersey Shore

Because summer isn't over yet.

3090
20 Things To Do At The Jersey Shore
wildwoodsnj.com

Growing up in New Jersey means that most of my summers have been filled with trips down the shore. It wasn't a rare occurrence for all my friends to all pile into a few cars and take an impromptu trip to the beach. When I got to college, it was strange for me because it was my first time meeting people who didn’t share this summer experience. I always felt like I was preaching the merits of the Jersey shore to my friends, trying to convince them that it was very different than the preconceptions they had from watching "Jersey Shore." The shore needed to be properly represented, and I was going to be the one do it. While there is a seemingly endless amount of things to do, here are 20 of my favorites.

1. Go to the beach.

This one should be obvious! The Jersey Shore is home to a whole coastline of beaches, each with its own identity. It’s important to pick a beach that fits your needs when planning a trip. Some beaches are only for residents or beach club members, while others are completely open to the public. Most beaches will require you to pay, but if you’re looking to park your beach chair somewhere free, Wildwood is the place to go. For non-stop excitement, you should pay a visit to Seaside, Belmar, Point Pleasant or Wildwood, which have many alternative activities for when you're done with the beach. No matter where you end up going, you are sure to have a blast tanning, swimming, playing Frisbee or boogie boarding.

2. Walk up and down the boardwalk.

Many nights down the shore have been spent walking up at the down the boardwalk, stopping for ice cream or meeting at a bench to regroup with friends. There's always something to do, even if it is just people watching. Many of the most popular attractions of the New Jersey boardwalks will be seen later in this list.

3. Go whale watching.

Not something people do every day, whale watching is a unique and memorable experience. Available in both Cape May and Wildwood, the prices are affordable enough that anyone can get the chance to see dolphins and whales in their natural habitat.

3. Watch movies on the beach.

At Seaside Heights, movies are played on the beach every Sunday and Tuesday through July and August. Upcoming showing include "The Lego Movie," "Finding Nemo," "The Box Trolls" and "Happy Feet." Just check out their website for details!

5. Climb Barnegat Lighthouse

This attraction, which can be found on Long Beach Island, is definitely one for history buffs and casual visitors alike. Originally developed in the mid 1800's, this lighthouse provides stunning views complete with a little history lesson. There is also a nearby museum.

6. Eat at The Chicken Or The Egg.

One of the most famous restaurants in Long Beach Island, The Chicken Or The Egg, known to its loyal patrons as Chegg, always has a line out the door. Known for its breakfast menu, this is a definite must-visit any time of the day.

7. Go to Island Beach State Park.

Located in Seaside Heights, Island Beach State Park is a 10-mile stretch of undeveloped beach. You pay by the carload to get in and the capacity of the park is strictly monitored. Besides swimming, guests can also enjoy scuba diving, biking, kayaking, hiking or picnicking.

8. Visit the Jenkinson's Aquarium.

A great way to escape the heat of the sun is to visit an aquarium. An ideal place for people of all ages, the Jenkinson's Aquarium in Point Pleasant Beach does a lot of informational sessions, giving all of its guests an opportunity to walk away with a lot of knowledge. Also, it has cute animals. What more could a person ask for?

9. Eat at Three Brothers Pizza.

If you're looking for a slice of pizza bigger than your face, Three Brothers is the place for you. With three locations on the Seaside Boardwalk alone, there is always a high demand. The food never disappoints — I'm craving it as we speak. If you need any convincing that Three Brother is a must-try, when I was in Seaside a few weeks ago, I went there every single day.

10. Visit Kohr's Frozen Custard.

An ice cream staple all down the shoreline, Kohr's is the best custard around. The creamy soft serve classic comes in many variations, one of the most popular being the Orange Cream Custard.

11. Take an Old Time Photo.

A quirky way to capture memories is by taking an old time photo. There are places on both the Seaside and Wildwood boardwalks that will let you dress up and take a sepia picture with your friends. I personally haven't done it yet, but that's what bucket lists are for!

12. Ride dune buggies.

Beach Buggy Rides in Seaside Heights is an affordable way to get an authentic experience. While you are not allowed to drive your own, being able to ride around on the beach is pretty cool nonetheless!

13. Go to the Boardwalk Mall in Wildwood.

The Boardwalk Mall is a two-story, air-conditioned paradise located in Wildwood. The flashing lights and bright colors always grab my attention as I walk by, and I find myself buying cute souvenirs whenever I'm inside. This mall is a great way to have some fun and break up an aimless walk up and down the boardwalk.

14. Play boardwalk games.

Even though it’s bound to be a waste of money, trying your luck at one of the games on the boardwalk is a must. Whether it’s the ring toss, shooting baskets or popping balloons, there is always the potential to walk away with a prize. Just don’t get too caught up in winning or you may end up paying a small fortune.

15. Go miniature golfing.

There are places to mini golf all over the New Jersey coast. While this is something that can be done at home, the salty ocean air makes the experience all the more fun. It’s a great way to have fun in the evening when you’re done enjoying the beach and ready to unwind.

16. Browse through the custom clothing stores

The boardwalks of Seaside and Wildwood are particularly packed with customized clothing stores. You can’t walk 100 feet without passing one. Even though most people will roll their eyes at the “I flexed and the sleeves fell off” tank tops, somehow we’re always drawn into these store, if only for a good laugh.

17. Go on some rides.

A favorite attraction for many visiting the Jersey Shore are the roller coasters and other amusement rides. The Slingshot, which catapults riders straight into the air, and The Skycoaster are two rides reserved for only the bravest of individuals, but there are plenty of rides that provide just the right amount of thrill. Classics like the Ferris wheel and carousel can be also be found all around the Jersey Shore.

18. Stay in a motel.

There is nothing like staying in a shoreside motel. Yes, it might be a little dirty, but that’s half the fun. You won’t be staying in the room that much anyway, since there is so much to do. Renting a room with friends will make for a very interesting and extremely fun weekend.

19. See the sunrise.

I'm a huge fan of watching the sunrise on the beach. Typically, I'm not one for early mornings, but the view of the sun peeking out over the horizon is truly magical. Even if the beach is scattered with other visitors, it's guaranteed to be a peaceful experience.

20. Go to a bonfire on the beach.

Also at Seaside Heights, there are bonfires on the beach every Monday night. Just bring a blanket, listen to some live music and relax under the stars. Admission is free, so there is no excuse not to check this one out!

Summer isn't over yet, so if you find yourself in the New Jersey area in the next few weeks, be sure to try at least one of these things!