20 Things To Learn In Your 20s

20 Things To Learn In Your 20s

A guide to giving you the best ten years of your life so far

81
20 Things To Learn In Your 20s
PEXELS

I always thought that my twenties would be the best years of my life, and I still think that today as I get ready to turn 21. Now that I am an adult, and can pretty soon buy alcohol, I started thinking about what I want my twenties to be about. So here are my goals that I hope to reach in the next ten years.

1. Learn how to love

Okay, this one is pretty straightforward, but I am not talking about the kind of love that gives and takes, I am talking about the kind of love that only gives, unconditionally, irrevocable, and unforgivably. I want to find a love that hurts — but not the kind of hurt like a paper cut, the kind of hurt that lets you know you have fully devoted yourself 100 percent to love.

2. Learn how to let go

This one takes time and it's a good thing I have my twenties to work on it. It's easy to get attached to things that don't allow us to flourish as a being or benefit our best interest. I want to be able to recognize these things, embrace them for what they are, and ultimately let go, no matter how much I don't want to.

3. Learn how to be vulnerable

Being vulnerable and letting your guard down can be completely intimidating, especially if you build up walls as a reaction to pain. In my twenties I hope I can learn when it is the right time to be sensitive and who to be unguarded with.

4. Learn how to be happy for others

I know that my name will not always be called first and I think it is really important that when it isn't, I am still able to support and share genuine joy for the ones who were.

5. Learn when to say no

If you are the type of person that is always willing to help anyone and everyone no matter how much time it will take, then this is definitely one for you. I find myself constantly giving everything I have to everyone and coming from a place of "yes" but sometimes you have to come from a place of "no" just so you know your limits.

6. Learn how to pursue happiness

Happiness can come in many shapes in sizes, it's important to know which shape and size is your very own and that you seek it out always.

7. Learn how to be grateful

I know that sometimes I overlook the many blessings I have in my life, Especially when you live a life that is abundant with them. I want to make sure that everyday I am grateful for all the good things I have.

8. Learn to appreciate the little things

Along with #7, it can get pretty easy in life to ignore the simple things like a friendly smile from a stranger in the store, a phone call from your grandma, or even a home cooked meal. I hope in my twenties I can begin to learn to recognize how significant those little things are.

9. Learn to take chances

Buy a lottery ticket, enter into a drawing, go play bingo, or even fall in love. All of these things are a bit of gamble but the risk is definitely worth the reward, especially if you hit the jackpot.

10. Learn when to give second chances

Nobody is perfect and sometimes you need a do over, a re-do, or a second chance. I don't believe in third, fourth, fifth, and sixth chances, but second chances should be given on a highly selective basis.

11. Learn to embrace your fears

Fears can hold us back from bigger and greater things that lie ahead. If you learn to face them head on, you will come out a happier and stronger person.

12. Learn how to forgive

Sometimes people in life will hurt us and make mistakes and it can be hard to accept their forgiveness for the pain they caused. Forgiveness is important because it allows you to take control of the pain and turn it into something good and honest.

13. Learn to love your body

You only have one body, one mind, and one soul and you need to take care of it. Exercise, healthy eating, meditation, and prayer can all be good routines to get into the habit of incorporating into your day to day lifestyle.

14. Learn what a positive relationship is

Relationships with others can really shape who we are as individuals. I hope in my twenties I begin to understand my role in a healthy relationship with friends, families, and significant others.

15. Learn to build bridges

I really do believe that it is all about who you know. Making connections is not only good for yourself personally, but also professionally. Meeting new people on a regular basis can also help develop conversation and interpersonal skills.

16. Learn to pray

This is such a huge one for myself. I hope that in my twenties I can really develop my relationship with the Lord. Not only that, but also prioritize it as well. I think a good step towards reaching this goal is to learn how to pray. Talking with God is a great way to get things off your chest, give thanks to the many blessings you have, and also develop your Christian faith.

17. Learn to follow your dreams

Twenties is a prime time to go on adventures and pursue those dreams that may be a little intimidating. If you want to be the first doctor lawyer in space, then go for it with your full heart. I guess this one isn't just about following, but also chasing.

18. Learn to accept that sometimes life isn't fair

Bad things happen to good people all the time, it can be really hard to accept, but the quicker you do the easier it is to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and continue on with all the good things.

19. Learn how to go with the flow

It can get really easy to be uptight the older you get. Buying a planner, saving dates, and making plans can really make your life rigid. Don't forget that if things go left instead of right, that that is okay too.

20. Learn to be the best version of yourself

The ultimate one: I believe that my twenties are going to be all about figuring out who I am as a person, a woman, a daughter, and a career woman. I'll go on adventures, I will try new foods, I may get my heartbroken once or twice, I'll make mistakes, and in the end it will all be worth it because it will serve as a catalyst to make me the best version of myself there will ever be to come.