20 Things I Have Accomplished in 20 Years

In honor of the big 2-0!

1349

This week, I will be celebrating my 20th birthday. It is so crazy to think that my teen's will officially be over on Wednesday. Like what? Last time I checked, I just turned 13??? As I look back, I realize I have actually accomplished much more than I would think I could have in 20 years. So in honor of turning 20, here are 20 things I have done in 20 years.

1. Sang at Rodeos

Every summer, about 10 times a summer, I sing the National Anthem at rodeos. I first got this opportunity the summer before my senior year in high school and have been doing it every summer since. It is so crazy to think how often I do this and how "casual" it is now. I go, I stand there, I sing, and then I either leave or stay and enjoy the rodeo. Oh yeah, did I mention each audience is usually just under 2,000 or so people?

2. Graduated High School

This in and of itself is a pretty big accomplishment. When I look at how many people do not do this, I am proud that I was able to stick out the 4 years and graduate high school. Even though there were SO many moments when I thought I couldn't, I did and I am very proud of myself for doing that.

3. Made Lasting Friendships

This, in my eyes, is probably my greatest accomplishment. The fact that my best friend from when I was three is still my best friend today makes my heart so happy. And the fact that all of my elementary and middle school best friends are also my best friends though college! It just makes me so happy to see how long I have had these friends and how long I will have them (forever!)

4. Continued My Legacy

Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed about Theta. I dreamed about carrying on my Gram's legacy and following in my aunt's footsteps, and I finally got to do that. On the card that my mom sent me for my Initiation, she wrote: "another dream come true -- Theta!" And she is exactly right; joining Theta was a dream come true.

5. Traveled to 16 States

Growing up, I never really traveled. All of my family lives pretty immediately in the West Coast area, so I didn't go far. Just over the last few years, I have had the opportunity to travel to many different states, in all different regions and I am so happy I have been able to do so.

6. Traveled to a New Country

Even though I did not have the best experience while there (car accident) I did get to go to Canada this past fall and experience the beauty of British Columbia. It is an experience I will never forget!

7. Bought My Own Car

I will never forget the day I saw my Holly. She was parked in front of a Big 5 Sports Store in midtown and had a for sale sign on her. She was a yellow convertible VW bug and I was in love. I called my mom immediately about it and took my dad to see it. I test drove it the next day and walked away thinking I wasn't getting her. I offered to pay with my own money because I loved her so much, but my parents didn't comment on the matter very much. Two days later, she was sitting in my driveway and my parents informed me that they withdrew my money and that she was truly mine. I have loved that car ever since and miss her daily.

8. Got My First Job

My freshman year of college, I got my very first job as a hostess at a local restaurant. It is a job I still have today and work at every winter and summer when I am home and it is the best job I could ever wish for. I love my boss, I love my coworkers, I love the restaurant itself, and I love working there. I will always cherish it as my very first job.

9. Started My Blog

In 2015, I started my own blog. It was something I had been wanting to do for a while and I played around with a bit in 2012 and 2013, but in 2015, I launched my professional blog. It is something I cherish deeply and love to do each and every day and it is by far one of my proudest accomplishments in these 20 years.

10. Overcame the Hard Times

Maybe this was not one specific event in my life, but a whole series of events, but there have been so many times when I know I could have just given up and given in and I didn't. I fought for myself and for my future and I overcame those hurdles.

11. Started College

College was always something that scared me. I always knew I wanted to go to college, but the thought of leaving my little hometown in California terrified me. And somehow, I ended up thousands of miles away and I am happier than I ever thought I could be. Starting college was definitely one of the greatest accomplishments in my 20 years.

12. Served in My Community

Once again, an ongoing event, but over a period of about 6 years, I served over 650 hours to help better my community. Whether this was at the food bank, or the local school for handicapped kids, I gave my time to my community to help better it, but in the end, became better because of it.

13. Beat Teen Pregnancy!!!!!

Honestly, too funny not to include... but yeah. I did it!!!

14. Accepted Jesus as My Savior

I will never forget this day. I was a senior in high school, lost beyond all belief after the lost of my grandfather, when I got my acceptance letter to UPS. Tacoma is called the city of destiny and my senior quote was "destiny won't be denied." I was at a final dinner for my youth group before graduation when I swore I heard my grandpa telling me "destiny won't be denied." I knew that was God leading me down the path He has in my plan. It was that night that I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

15. Registered to Vote

Again, it took me a while, but I did it! My philosophy is, if you aren't registered and did not vote, then you have no right to complain about the issues you have with the country or politics. So get out there, register, and voice your opinions WHILE you are still making a difference with your vote!

16. Performed More Times Than I Can Count

I came to the realization the other day that I have performed so many different pieces at so many different venues over the 20 years, I can't keep track of them anymore! I think 80% of my brain's capacity actually are song lyrics...

17. Had a One Woman Show

Ok, yes I was maybe 7 or 8 and it was just for my grandparents and family in the backyard, but I did have my own concerts back there as often as I could!

18. Rode My First Horse When I Was 3 Days Old!!!

One of my favorite photos of my dad and I is a photo of my dad holding 72 hour old Carly on the back of RC, his horse at the time. That was the first time I had ridden a horse. And maybe it took a couple years until I could do it on my own, but still.. 72 hours is pretty impressive!

19. Learned How to Make BOMB Guac

When you grow up the daughter of an avocado grower, you just start to learn! The key is California fruit y'all.

20. Learned How to Function... maybe?

Let's be real, I still call my mom 24/7 with the dumbest questions ever about bank accounts and doctor appointments, but I am living away from home and am still somewhat alive, so that counts.. yeah?

Here is to 20!