20 Things All 20 Something-Year-Olds Need To Know

With gifs from Parks and Recreation!

64
indiewire.com

I've talked to a bunch of people older than me about their twenties and how it was like, and they've all said the same thing: the roaring twenties are a gift you only get once in your life. Some said it's a troubling milestone in terms of figuring yourself out while others wished to be in their prime again. Whatever the case us young adults are living it now and man does social media have a lot to say about the 20's.

These are just a few examples of what it's truly like to be in your 20's. No one said being young in this day-in-age was going to be easy especially when you haven't figured yourself out but forced to grow up. I understand the situation COMPLETELY! I'm 20 years old, in college, I went through hell just to find the major that was right for me, and I still have no idea how taxes work. It's OKAY to feel lost sometimes and stumble around, your twenties are suppose to be that way. Don't believe me? Ask your parents or elders, I guarantee if they really want you to understand they won't sugarcoat it. In today's society it's a bit rough, but I've developed a list of 20 things all 20 something-year-olds should know or at least keep in mind.

1. You're suppose to make mistakes

2. It's okay that you don't have it all together, if anything, it's expected and completely normal

3. As Justin Bieber said, love yourself. Confidence is key!

4. Don't beat yourself up, nobody is perfect and the last thing you want to do is talk negatively about yourself. It happens. Life moves on.

5. Quality over quantity. Remember that you don't need a lot of friends, just a few who are truly there for you and nonetheless support you.

6. Never be afraid of experience. As Lemony Snicket once said "If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives."

7.Don't let your dreams just be dreams, make them come true! but also learn to be realistic.

8. Stay goal oriented, dont for one bit doubt your intelligence.

9. Anyone can talk, but it takes real practice to listen.

10. Learn the balance between obligation and conscience. It sounds easy but trust me life will start tossing situations where you have to make that vital choice, and the "right" choice won't be so obvious. Yay!

11. Whatever you want to pursue, do it for yourself. Grab life by the horns!

12. Get all the crazy out your system! Go do something stupid or weird just because you're young and you can, but TO AN EXTENT.

13. If you ever decide to lie down with someone, don't do it for the hell of it. Understand mutual connection

14. ALWAYS practice safe sex, there are WAY too many sexually transmitted diseases out there and half of them don't have a cure.

15. Your body is a temple. Treat it as such! Get healthy, work out, eat less junk. You know how it goes.

16. Remember stress kills emotionally and physically

17. It's okay to be emotional but don't let it overshadow rational thinking or decision making.

18. Understand anything you want badly comes with hard work. That doesn't mean you can't do it! But remember this, anyone can have the passion for it but it's the drive and determination that not everyone has.

19. Be in tune with yourself on all aspects. Get to know yourself; What you like and what you don't like. Experiment a bit and discover the amazing human being you are.

20. We have a tendency to worry about our future and while it's always smart to think ahead, for now, don't live life worrying in fear. Be positive and have fun!