20 Of The Scariest Things About Turning 20

What do you mean I'm halfway to 40?!

1577
Unsplash

On December 11th, 2017, your favorite Odyssey writer is turning the big 2-0. And frankly, I'm terrified. For my tenth birthday, I went to a Hannah Montana concert opened by the Jonas Brothers (I know you're jealous) and I can't wrap my head around the thought that it was a decade ago! HOW?! WHAT IS TIME?! So as I binge eat birthday cake in hopes it quells my anxiety, I thought I'd share with all of you the top twenty concerns I have about entering a new decade...

1. "Twenty Fun" is still a whole year away

I feel like this whole "turning a new decade" thing would be a whole lot easier if I could legally drown my sorrows. But NOPE, still got another 365 more days until then!

2. There are only two more years until graduation

Somehow turning 20 makes 22 seem a WHOLE lot closer. And I am in no way ready for this beautiful college bubble I live in to be popped.

3. Having to get a real job

Yeah, this one is beyond scary. I still count making my bed each morning to be a major accomplishment, so I don't know what makes you think I'm ready for 9-5 job.

4. Being financially independent

LOL at the fact that I'll have to pay taxes all by myself in a few short years. Can I go back in time to that Hannah Montana concert, please?

5. Friendships will become long-distance

The thought that my best friend and current college roommate won't be sleeping two feet from me, but will be miles away at dental school living her life without me sometime during this decade is enough reason for me to want to forever stay nineteen. Sorry, I can't deal.

6. Dressing professionally 5 days a week

What do you mean I won't be able to wear over-sized sweatshirts and sweatpants all the time? I'm going to have to wear blazers and skirts and heels? I'll have to act and dress like an adult? Wasn't it just yesterday I was wearing my Catholic school uniform?

7. Socializing

This is future me (except I'm not nearly as pretty as Blake Lively) when I graduate college and have to make all new friends. The effort required to socialize after college seems like a large task and one that will most likely end with me at home updating my taco blog. Speaking of home...

8. Having to find a place to live that isn't "University Owned"

I do want to live in my own place, I really do! It's just that there's a small part of me that wants to get into my bed in my childhood room, pull the covers over my head, and never ever come out. Whoops.

9. Officially having to say goodbye to the teenage years

While I'm overjoyed to leave the awkwardness and fashion mistakes of the teenage years in the past, the simple bliss of being a teen is something I will dearly miss. (Also, acne- feel free to stay with teenager me. Twenty-year-old me as enough problems without you rearing your ugly blackhead. Thanks.)

10. Getting called "grandma" by younger siblings

STOP, I KNOW I'M GETTING OLD. I DON'T NEED A WALKER. NO THAT'S NOT A GRAY HAIR SHUT UP ALREADY. (Brothers are the worst FYI)

11. Realizing you're halfway to 40

Enough said.

12. Having to have your life somewhat figured out

Yeah, I've figured out about just as much as Kylie has in this gif about what I want to do with my life. The only difference is Kylie is a multi-millionaire and I'm, well, me. Great. Just great.

13. Seriously having to think about your diet

You mean that at some point during this decade of my life I'll probably actually have to make a habit of going to the gym if I want to keep eating ice cream for dinner twice a week? How is that fair?

14. The thought that you'll be buying a wedding dress

Um, yeah the purchase of a poofy white dress is very much a likely thing to happen in my twenties. Wasn't I just in my white first communion dress? I should probably get working on that whole "ring by spring" thing otherwise I might find myself...

15. Being the single friend at all of your friends' weddings

Because NOTHING is scarier than the phrase "always the bridesmaid, never the bride!" This has to be the unsaid fear of every twenty-something female, right? Can't I just go back to being concerned about finding a date for prom, not a date for life?

16. Having to grocery shop and cook for yourself

They say you grow a lot in your twenties. Well, my cooking skills are either going to grow exponentially or my take-out bill is going to bankrupt me. I'll keep you updated, don't worry.

17. LinkedIn replaces Instagram

I should probably start focusing on building my network instead of coming up with a killer caption, right? That seems like the mature, adult thing to do.

18. Not being able to use the excuse "My mom said I can't!"

Farewell, old friend. You were always there for me when I needed to get out of something truly horrendous. I don't know how I'll live without you, but I guess that's what being an adult is all about.

19. Having kids of your own

Assuming #14 works itself out, there's a very good chance that I could have my very own mini me before my twenties are over. Seriously, take me back to that Hannah Montana concert, I'm begging you.

20. The realization that time passes by way too quickly

I think this is what what truly terrifies me the most about turning twenty. I'm not kidding when I say that Hannah Montana concert feels like it was only yesterday. When I close my eyes, I can still hear Miley belting out "Best of Both Worlds" to the tune of thousands of screaming tween girls.

And while there's a part of me that would like to go back to that concert, relive my sweet sixteen, and simply stay a teen, I am excited for what the next decade holds for me. Growing up is scary, but I think I'm ready to tackle the twenties. If they're half as fabulous as my teenage years (with less zits), then I think I'll be just fine. Cheers to the terrific twenties!