20 Pieces Of Relationship Advice That Every College Student Needs To Hear

“Don’t date the life of the party, date the one who makes sure the life of the party gets home.”

5204
Instagram

There's no denying that college is the peak time to explore relationships and connections; being surrounded by thousands of students your age provides some prime opportunity for mingling. With relationships, however, can come the unfortunate yet inevitable feelings of hurt and heartbreak. And hey, that's okay; you learn so much from the bad ones. With that being said, here is some timeless food for thought to consider as you navigate the world of dating, relationships, and love:

1. The person you are dating should be good for your mental health, not detrimental to it.

2. There is a difference between loving someone and loving the idea of them.

3. “Be the woman a man needs, not the woman who needs a man.”

4. Don’t be with someone unless you would be proud to have a son or daughter exactly like them.

5. You shouldn’t have to question if they want to be with you. If they want you, they will prove it.

6. You can’t expect someone to love you until you love yourself.

7. A relationship should complement you, not complete you.

8. If it's not easy, it's not the right person.

9. “Marry the one who gives you the same feeling you get when you see your food coming at a restaurant.”

10. In an argument, fight the problem, not the other person.

11. Never settle.

12. The way they leave tells you everything.

13. Talk with your partner about the things that hurt.

14. Seek respect, not attention.

15. Never date someone who is rude to their mother.

16. Don’t resent the bad relationships, you need them to understand what a great one is like.

17. Be creative with the time you and your partner spend together.

18. “Don’t date the life of the party, date the one who makes sure the life of the party gets home.”

19. Date someone who you could have fun with at a grocery store.

20. Breakups hurt, but losing someone who didn’t appreciate your amazing-ness is actually a gain, not a loss.

I hope you took this advice to heart (pun intended), and that it got you thinking. Here's to healthy and happy relationships!

SEE ALSO: 10 Questions You Have To Ask Before Committing To A Relationship