20 Life Lessons I Learned Before I Turned 20

You were right, mom, the world does not revolve around me.

Throughout the past 20 years, I have learned so much about friendship, life, and working hard. They say the older you are, the wiser you are, so here are 20 of the most important life lessons I have learned throughout my life time.

1. Be the good friend

Be the person that your friend can vent to, rely on, and go to when they need support. It is never a bad thing to be a good friend.

2. Don't over-share on social media

No one needs to know what you are doing every second of every day. Sharing your personal drama over the internet will only draw in unwanted attention.

3. Not everything is about you

4. Be nice to everyone, especially those who are working in retail

From someone who has had over three years of retail experience, I can tell you that simply being nice can make everyone's life a little easier. Every other person in retail is just trying to make it through their shift without being yelled at by irate customers.

5. You will learn so much from your high school jobs

I have had a job since I was thirteen years old. I started by being a hockey referee, babysitting, working in retail, and finding odd jobs to make a little extra cash during college. From all of these positions I have gained time management and communication skills and I have become a more independent person by having my own money.

6. High school was not the "best days of your life"

I feel sorry for everyone that peaked in high school.

7. Eat the pizza/cake/chocolate/etc.

Everything will even out eventually.

8. Sometimes the best of friendships can come from weird situations

I met one of my best friends at the beginning of my sophomore year of high school at a church retreat because we were the only two that didn't know anyone else there. We ended up staying in the same room together and are still great friends. I met another best friend of mine by simply waving to her on move in day of our freshman year of college. It's funny how some things work out.

9. It is okay, and sometimes necessary, to cut certain people out of your life

I wish I had learned this sooner, but you should never feel bad about cutting toxic people out of your life. Remember: friends are suppose to make you feel good about yourself.

10. Some of the best memories are made by staying up late

Whether you're talking with friends over late night pizza or getting into trouble. . .

11. Take your education seriously

Education is a privilege and should never be taken for granted. Although not everyone will go to a college or university after high school, we live in a world where you can learn anything over the internet.

12. You don't have to like everyone, but you have to be nice to them

I learned this lesson after not liking a certain girl in my community education gymnastics class in first grade. Turns out, after we were both nice to each other, we found out we had a lot in common and it ended up becoming great friends a few years later.

13. Take lots of pictures

Taking pictures and sharing these memories is easier done now with the use of Instagram and Snapchat. Taking pictures with your friends and family will be something you can look back on at any time in life. Remember: you can't simply Google pictures of you and your friends.

14. Embrace the parts of you that are unique

I remember in middle school wishing that I had stick straight hair because kids made fun of my "crazy" and "uncontrollable" hair. To this day, my hair is one of my favorite features and I hate taking the time to straighten it.

15. Being in a relationship isn't everything

I cherish being single just as much as a appreciate being in a relationship.

16. Drive carefully

You're not invincible on the road, especially when you're 16 years old.

17. Money is important, but it is not everything

Money will always come and go. Being a college student means spending money on things you don't want to spend money on, like textbooks, dishes, and food, but that doesn't mean you can't ever splurge on a gift to yourself every once in awhile.

18. Get out of your comfort zone

When my dad asked me to go fishing this summer, I agreed not knowing what I was getting myself into. If my dad had told me we would be staying in a bunk house and pushing a boat across a muddy portage, I would have been nervous and probably said no, but I am glad I said yes to the opportunity to spend a weekend with my dad, trying new things and being surrounded by nature.

19. Find the humor in every situation

All of those awkward or embarrassing moments turn into the best stories to tell.

20. Take every opportunity

I will never regret hoping on a flight to Colorado on a whim to see a friend five days before I moved into my junior year of college. Buy the concert ticket, watch a movie with friends, go on an adventure, make the memories while you can. You're still young.