20 Lessons I've Learned in 20 Years

20 Things I've Learned in 20 Years

I got my inspiration from Taylor Swift's "30 Things I Learned Before Turning 30", except this is 20 things I've learned in 20 years since I've been 20 for a few months now.

meglynch
meglynch
448

My life hasn't been anything too out of the ordinary, but I have definitely had some experiences that have taught me really important lessons about myself and about life.

1. Love yourself

This sounds like the most basic piece of advice that you probably hear all the time, but it is so true. Everyone needs to love themselves so much more in order to be the best version of themselves and to be able to love others as well.

2. Don't be so hard on yourself

It has taken me a while to learn this. Whether it's relating to school, social life, your looks, or anything else. I've learned to give myself a break. I'm not perfect and it's okay to not always live up to your own standards.

3. My mom is my best friend

I've known this for a while, but it has just gotten reinforced as I have gotten older. My mom is the person that I go to for anything and everything. I really don't know what I would do without her.

4. Take risks

Nothing too crazy though. I have always been one to follow the rules and to keep to myself. I have learned that I need to put myself out there more and be a little daring every once in a while. Do things that push you out of your comfort zone.

5. Cherish your grandparents

I am extremely lucky to have grown up with all 4 of my grandparents being extremely involved and present in my life and to still have them all here today. They are so wise and are some of the most incredible people I will ever know. I don't know what I am ever going to do without them.

6. It's okay to take the time and effort to do things for yourself

Sometimes life can get overwhelming and we can get too focused on school and work and we forget to take a step back from it all. It isn't selfish if you feel like you just need some time for yourself or if you do something just because it's what you want to do.

7. Friendship is a 2 way street

You can try and try to spend time with friends and to keep in touch, but if they don't make an effort too then the friendship isn't going to last. If someone wants to be in your life, they will make the effort to.

8. Not everyone has a heart like you

Sometimes people will do things that hurt you or bother you that you think you would never do to someone else. I always have to remind myself that not everyone was raised the same way or has the same heart as you. They might not realize that what they're doing hurts you.

9. Boys aren't worth your tears

Relationships and heartbreak are tough and you're bound to get hurt throughout your life. But no boy is ever worth crying over. If they hurt you, then you need to pick yourself up and move on because if they really cared about you they wouldn't make you feel like that.

10. You never deserve to be treated badly

No matter what you think you did or how badly you think you messed up, you still deserve to not be treated right. Know that you deserve love and respect.

11. Life is too short to hold grudges

People are going to make you mad or upset, it's just a part of life. But holding grudges is only going to bottle up those feelings inside of you and make you feel worse. Forget about it and move on with your life.

12. Don't be afraid to speak your mind

I have always been pretty quiet, but I have learned that I need to stand up for myself and speak my mind. It's okay to be quiet and to be a nice person, but don't let people walk all over you.

13. You can't make everyone happy

I am guilty of too often trying to please everyone. I constantly worry about how what I'm doing is affecting others and whether or not they are happy. Sometimes you have to put your happiness first and realize that you're never going to be able to make everyone happy.

14. Sleep is important

Take care of yourself. For me, it is so much more important that I get sleep than if I spend an extra hour or two doing homework or studying. You need sleep to function the best that you can.

15. Don't let other people's judgements define who you are

People can say what they want about you and how you decide to live your life, but ultimately, it's your life. Don't let what people say about or your decisions define the person that you actually are.

16. Get rid of the drama in your life

Drama just causes so many unnecessary problems and you really don't need that in your life. There is no reason that you should have to deal with anyone else's stupid drama, so don't let it interfere with your life.

17. Learn how to apologize when you mess up

We all mess up, we're all human. You're bound to hurt someone's feelings at some point, whether you mean to or not. Learn how to make sincere apologies so that you can mend relationships that really matter to you.

18. Think things through before you speak or act

There are times in our lives where we are probably going to act out of impulse or act out of emotions and do or say things that we don't really mean. You really have to try to take a step back and think so that you don't do or say something that you will regret.

19. Travel

I love going to and experiencing new places. Whether it's a different state or a different country, take the time and money to travel because it is definitely worth it.

20. Dogs make everything better 

No matter what mood I am in or what day I have had, I know that dogs will make it better. My dogs at home are the loves of my life. Any time I see a dog on campus it makes my day 10 times better. Appreciate dogs because they are angels.