20 Lessons I Learned Before I Turned 20

20 Lessons I Learned Before I Turned 20

But I still have a lot to learn.

16
20 Lessons I Learned Before I Turned 20

On January 13, 1997, I was born on a very cold winter day. 20 years later, I'm turning 20 years old and I've learned one or two things about how to live a little more comfortably than those awkward middle school days. In no way am I saying I've learned it all- because we all know every day serves as a new lesson. However, sometimes you have to realize you've come far- and you have learned some important things along the way.

1. Don't act like you're better than anyone.

I saw a quote once along the lines of "treat the janitor the same way you treat the CEO." We are all human beings, we all have insecurities, loved ones, passions, and dreams. Don't ever act like you're better than someone or less than someone else.

2. Heating pads are a God send.

Cramps magically disappear and life becomes a little more happy with the use of a heating pad. God bless them. If you don't believe me, try it ladies.

3. Mental health is more important than grades.

My mom always taught me that taking a day off of school when you feel stressed or anxious is always better than struggling through the day. Now don't get too crazy, show up if you have an exam or a group presentation. The grade you get on that Spanish quiz sophomore year of high school will not be relevant in 10+ years. Your mental health, however, will always be relevant.

4. Dressing confidently=Feeling good=A better day

If you ever feel bad about something, put on your favorite outfit with those shoes that make you feel like you're a CEO. Curl your hair, put on your favorite lipstick and take on the day. Looking good feels good.

5. Some friends change and some leave, but most of the time it's not your fault.

In high school, losing a friend felt like the end of your world. However, I started to learn that sometimes it isn't your fault. Friends change, attitudes change, timing changes, and you have no control over that.

6. Time travel movies are really cool.

If you're having a bad day, the "Back To The Future" movies will definitely brighten your mood.

7. Whoever invented breakfast sandwiches was the smartest person to grace the earth.

I guarantee I have had more bacon egg and cheeses than anyone I know in a lifetime.

8. Over-tipping is always good karma.

If you don't have money, don't go out to eat. No one wants to be "that" customer, and these people are working a lot harder than you think. There is no excuse to undertip.

9. Don't judge someone off of your first impression. People can surprise you.

I would not be friends with half of the people I'm close with if I judged them off of my first impression of them. Someone's Instagram feed doesn't equal their personality.

10. Feminism is essential.

The fact that women are treated lesser than men should not be accepted in 2017. It's that simple.

11. No one actually cares what you caption your Instagram photo.

They read it for maybe three seconds before moving onto the next picture. If you like the picture, post it. The caption doesn't matter. Trust me, you're overthinking it.

12. You should do what you love to do instead of doing what you think you should love.

Let's just say if I kept doing sports because I thought I was supposed to love them, I wouldn't be the person I am today and I definitely wouldn't be as happy.

13. Michelle Obama was the best woman to grace the earth in my lifetime.

Some people think Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez is their celebrity crush, but mine is Michelle Obama. I think I would drop dead if I ever got to meet her.

14. Family time is so so so important.

Soak up all the time you have with them because these are the people that will always matter, and one day they won't all be around. Cherish what you have with them and do not take them for granted.

15. There's no excuse for you not knowing about politics.

Come on now, if you are in high school or older, not knowing a thing about politics is embarrassing. At least know the basics so you can hold an intelligent conversation with someone.

16. Taking classes that interest you can lead a happier life and better grades.

If you take classes about things you are actually interested in, life will follow somewhat easier. You will enjoy the conversation during class and you will be more driven to study and do your homework. Don't choose a major that you aren't passionate about.

17. Always give advice that you wish someone could have given you.

Think through the advice you give someone. Say something that matters, not what everyone else says. Tell the truth, and your friends will thank you. As far as taking your own advice, that's a different story. I haven't learned that one yet.

18. Complement someone out loud if it goes through your head.

You can make someone's day.

19. You can spend way too much money by going out to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Even though you do it anyway.

20. Never rush growing up. Live every stage of life with all of their perks. Worry about being an adult later.

I might be 20 now, but I still have a lot to learn.