20 Dos And Mostly Don'ts For Being A Praiseworthy Restaurant Customer

Make your server happy.

164
thegrindstone.com

Being a server can be fun, but only at the right work place and with the right group of co-workers. Some customers make the days seem longer, the tips seem like they're not worth it, and the stress undeniably constant. But not everyone is a horrible customer; some are very pleasant.

There are only a select few customers who are praiseworthy, and they don't come about very often. Lots of restaurant-goers think that they deserve perfection. Yes, customers always come first, but not when they expect the world from one person taking care of over twenty others. I've been both fortunate enough to have amazing customers and unfortunate enough to have terrible ones. If you would like to be a relatively pleasing customer, here are some dos and don'ts you should take into consideration before going out to lunch.

1. Don't ask for a different meal or side five minutes after I already took your order.

Chances are that I've already put your order into the computer. If you want a different order, I'll have to go talk to the kitchen. In case you didn't know, the kitchen doesn't exactly like conversation, especially when it's any type of busy. They get stressed, just like servers do, and yelling at them through the window isn't all that peaceful.

2. Do tell me "don't worry about it."

Sometimes I'm having a bad day. Sometimes I have too many tables at once. And sometimes I have eighty tables to serve at the same exact moment. Your kind words when I'm stressed out actually mean something.

3. Don't tell me "I didn't order that."

You actually did order that. How do I know? I wrote it down and proceeded to ask you if you wanted mayo on that five times while you were busy talking to your friend and ignoring my questions.

4. Don't walk into a restaurant and choose where you want to sit.

Restaurants have hosts and hostesses for a reason, and tables are split into sections. Each section is for a different server. If you decide where you want to sit, I get no money. Thanks.

5. Don't tip off a discounted total.

If the total of your bill is $50.00 and you have a coupon for $20.00 off, your new total is $30.00. You should be tipping me off the bill of $50.00 (those are the prices of the meals you got, you know).

6. Do tell me your allergies upfront.

I don't want to be the reason why you had to make a pitstop to the emergency room on your way home from dinner. Please let me know about your allergies as you are placing your order. Servers always have to check with both management and the kitchen before entering your order.

7. We close at 9:00 PM. Don't come in at 8:50 PM.

If you come in at 8:50 PM, at least order a simple sandwich. Don't order a three-pound lobster with five sides. Just don't.

8. Don't wave me over to your table.

Guess what? I'm probably taking care of someone else's order and I can't just drop everything I'm doing to sprint over to you.

9. Don't leave me a pile of pennies and nickels as a tip.

Most likely, that money will be just be taken out of my pocket and given to another customer.

10. Don't tell me that you want separate checks after you and your eight friends have ordered multiple drinks, appetizers, and meals.

Tell me before. Then we can be friends.

11. Don't tell me that you're in a rush.

I can't walk into the kitchen and tell them that YOU need a meal A.S.A.P. Sorry, but it doesn't usually work that way.

12. Don't have the greatest conversations with me and then leave no tip.

Compliments are not tips (sorry).

13. Don't tell me your entire meal was awful when you ate the whole plate.

And licked it clean.

14. Do listen to everything I have to say.

Don't cut me off mid-sentence and tell me that you want iced tea. The one thing I was probably going to tell you is that we ran out of iced tea.

15. Don't get mad at me that your meal tastes awful anyway.

I didn't order it and I didn't cook it.

16. Do clean your section of the table when your food is coming.

How can I put your plate down when you have your phone out on the table, a laptop hanging off the edge, and your purse to the side? Do you want to eat?

17. Don't get mad if we can't get to you the second you sit down.

If you see me delivering drinks to another table, chances are, I'm a little busy. Only a little, though.

18. Don't ask another server that is not your own to get something for you.

Just ask your own server! That is their job, you know.

19. Do fill out comment cards or surveys that I pass out to you.

Especially if you like me.

20. Don't tell me your "soup is cold."

I actually tried it two minutes ago in the kitchen and I burned my mouth. But you're right, it's freezing cold.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. If you're good to your server, they'll be good right back.