Twenty Books For Your 20s

Twenty Books For Your 20s

“Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading.”

51
Twenty Books For Your 20s
Tumblr

Nowadays, we tend to spend a lot of our free time binge-watching Netflix shows or stalking a guy's Instagram back 73 weeks ago. Picking up a good book just isn't a priority anymore. There's a lot to learn from a good book and what better time to enlighten ourselves than in our 20s?

Turn off the wifi and check out 20 books for girls in their 20s:

1. "The Love Affairs Of Nathaniel P" by Adelle Waldman

We all know a Nathaniel Piven. The man who is just a cocky as he is cool. Just as self-centered as he is magnetic. The guy who refuses to settle down and grow up. And the girls who try to change that.

“Dating is probably the most fraught human interaction there is. You're sizing people up to see if they're worth your time and attention, and they're doing the same to you"

2. "The Opposite Of Loneliness" by Marina Keegan

When 22 year old, Yale graduate Marina is tragically killed in a car crash, her final essay “The Opposite Of Loneliness” goes viral. It shines light on our desire to be who we want to be and make the mark on the world we want to make.

"We’re so young. We’re so young. We’re twenty-two years old. We have so much time…What we have to remember is that we can still do anything. We can change our minds. We can start over."

3. "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed

This book receives so much criticism. Why would a young girl leave her perfect good husband, go backpacking by herself and say “yes” to far too many things? Simply the answer is because she wanted to. The story is raw and empowering. If you’re not happy with how your life is and feel like you’ve lost your happiness, get up and change it. Live how you desire to live, not how anyone else desires you to.

“I knew that if I allowed fear to overtake me, my journey was doomed. Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told. I decided I was safe. I was strong. I was brave. Nothing could vanquish me.”

4. "Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides

A book about suicide isn't a happy read, but that doesn't make it any less of a beauty story. Eugenides can write and that’s a reason this story is so memorable. The words roll through you head like a poem. When reading the Lisbon sister’s story you have to dig deeper than the surface, after that you’ll wish you could erase your memory and experience it all over again.

“She held herself very straight, like Audrey Hepburn, whom all women idolize and men never think about.”

5. "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

Food, travel, spirituality and love— who doesn't love that combination. It’s never too late to realize your life isn't going in the direction you desire and make that change.

"A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave."

6. "The Solitude Of Prime Numbers" by Paolo Giordano

Loneliness is something we’ve all snuggled with at some point. Throughout your 20s people are going to come and go, so you're bound to experience this again. While this book can be heartbreaking, there’s a deeper message under it all.

“Choices are made in brief seconds and paid for in the time that remains.”

7. "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath

Growing up isn't always a walk in the park, and “The Bell Jar” embraces that. It can be dark and honest, but if you feel overwhelmed about your future, this book will show you that you’re not alone.

“If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed.”

8. "#GirlBoss" by Sophia Amoruso

The reality that school isn't for everyone, but that doesn't determine your career success. Instead, your success is determined by your passion and dedication.

“No matter where you are in life, you'll save a lot of time by not worrying too much about what other people think about you. The earlier in your life that you can learn that, the easier the rest of it will be.”

9. "The Best Of Everything" by Rona Jaffe

Written in 1958, this book has been described as the “original Sex and the City.” Even though it was published years ago, the struggles of young female’s working in New York City still relates today.

“We keep making decisions, every day, half without thinking, half against our will. If we don't fight back, if we allow ourselves to change, to be changed, then once it's done we have to do other things, and on and on until the person we wanted to be is so far away in the past that we only remember her, longingly, as if she were a beloved stranger.”

10. "The Marriage Plot" by Jeffrey Eugenides

A love triangle between three flawed characters. But then again, who of us doesn't have flaws? This book reminds us that we are all less than perfect, stumbling through life and getting curve balls thrown at us along the way. Life doesn't always happen how we expect, and that’s ok. We move on.

“Depression is like a bruise that never goes away. A bruise in your mind. You just got to be careful not to touch it where it hurts. It's always there, though.”

11. "I Don’t Care About Your Band" by Julie Klausner

Dating in your 20s is full of the good, bad and ugly. Luckily Julie Klausner has no issues honestly putting all that out there.

“...I can confidently pass up opportunities that don't make sense because there'll be better ones on the horizon, even if I have to wait. ”

12. "Tiny Beautiful Things" by Cheryl Strayed

Proof that even when life sucks, you can still find the humor and enjoyment behind it. Perspective is key to making the best out of any situation and this book covers that.

“Most things will be okay eventually, but not everything will be. Sometimes you'll put up a good fight and lose. Sometimes you'll hold on really hard and realize there is no choice but to let go. Acceptance is a small, quiet room.”

13. "Leave Your Mark" by Aliza Licht

If you’re in search of career inspiration— pick up this book ASAP. It’s as simple as that.

“Life isn’t a dress rehearsal; you have to go for it. But it takes hard work and dedication and you might not always get what you think you deserve. It doesn’t matter. Handle yourself with professionalism and remember that in business, your personal brand is your greatest asset. Mind your reputation and the rest will come.”

14. "Everything Is Perfect When You’re A Liar" by Kelly Oxford

Ok, so you shouldn't actually strive to be a liar— but this book does teach you that confidence it key. The best way to get what you want in you career, life and relationships is owning your confidence.

“I like the idea that we can contain our weirdness, but I prefer it when we wear it all over ourselves.”

15. "In Defense Of Food" by Michael Pollan

Even though this might not be a “storyline” book, it’s still an important read for everyone. What we put into our bodies directly affects how we look and feel, so why not take some time to educate ourselves with this book?

“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

16. "Girls In White Dresses" by Jennifer Close

When you feel like every single time you get on Facebook someone else is getting married, but you can’t even commit to a second date— this book is for you.

“In college, twenty-nine had seemed impossibly old. By now, she'd thought, she'd be married and have kids. But as each year went by, she didn't feel much different than she had before. Time kept going by and she was just here, the same.”

17. "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

Amy Poehler’s thoughts on life, career goals, sex and friendship. Her humorous personality keeps you laughing throughout the book, but what she’s saying is just as enjoyable.

“That is the motto women should constantly repeat over and over again. Good for her! Not for me.”

18. "She’s Come Undone" by Wally Lamb

Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean you wallow in it. This book shows that even if you’ve made wrong choices and weren't dealt the best hand, you can make the best out of it.

“I think... the secret is to just settle for the shape of your life takes...Instead of you know, always waiting and wishing for what might make you happy.”

19. "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" by Flannery O'Connor

There’s not much better than a powerful female writer, and this book is the perfect example of that. Plus, in your 20s you really do realize a good man is hard to find.

“You can do one thing or you can do another, kill a man or take a tire off his car, because sooner or later you're going to forget what it was you done and just be punished for it.”

20. "Not That Kind Of Girl" by Lena Dunham

Lena Dunham’s take on everything she’s learned so far in life. Plus who doesn't love reading someone else’s emails and text messages?

“When someone shows you how little you mean to them and you keep coming back for more, before you know it you start to mean less to yourself."