20 Apps All Millennials Need In Their Life

From fonts to photos, how to stay productive and happy.

514
Wordpress

As stressful as my cell phone is with its ever present pinging and bleeping to notify me of something, it also offers me a number of useful things that I know I would not be able to live without. Most of these things are apps - okay, pictures of Stephen Colbert, and then apps. Here are just 20 that I cannot live without (and they're all free!) and 20 you should definitely have in your twenties.

1. Canva

If you need to make a super cool social media graphic, spice up your résumé with a little style, or format letterhead, this app has it all. Work on your laptop then download it on your mobile from the app!

2. Poshmark

The app I credit with my budding vintage clothing business. It's the perfect way to sell those impulse purchases and make a little extra cash for the real needs, like more new shoes.

3. VSCO

All of your photos are great, but this helps them be just a little bit better. The filters are the best out there and allow you to find just the right tint so you can curate your image across social media platforms.

4. Foodie

There's no shame in taking pictures of your food - the only shame is in them not getting enough likes! This app is filters just for that, divided into category by food group, perfect whether you're salivating over something sweet or feeling up some fruit.

5. ImgPlay

Turn your iPhones live photos into something you'll actually be able to share across platforms: GIFs! Just make sure you get your friends' permission before making them look a little clumsy.

6. Bitmoji

Yes, these exist outside of Snapchat. Give your animated version of yourself a whirl by having this app and adding a cute graphic to your group text for a chuckle.

7. Spotify

I'm not sure how I survived before I went premium on this service. However, the free version still allows you to check out tons of new music and discover even more (a great winter break project).

8. Dictionary

The number of times you will need to look up a word is endless from class to conversation. Also, the next time your friend uses the word "literally," it might be nice to remind them that perhaps they're not using it quite right.

9. Tapingo

No one has time for the line at Starbucks. Figure out your favorite meal from a handful of restaurants, download, order, and pick it up. You can even link it up to your NYU account.

10. Boomerang

The celebrities are making these cute videos and posting them all over - and you can, too. Facebook even has a feature that makes it possible from them to become profile videos. Hello, future!

11. Slack

As much anxiety as this can cause, it's one of the best apps for getting group work done. You may have run into it at an internship. Even if the thought of professional messaging scares you, take your time and learn this (inevitable) skill.

12. NHL (or whatever sport you like)

Some of my friends say that sports bring people together like nothing else and I'm beginning to agree. Even when you can't catch every game for your favorite team, keep up with the standings with alerts. Go Rangers!

13. NYC Subway

I don't care whether or not you live in the Big Apple. If you ever plan on visiting, you might as well download the app now and try to learn why there are four lines that are the same color but don't make the same stops. Almost three years and I'm still unsure.

14. Simple Radio

Working in college radio, I'm partial to this darling because we're featured on there. However, it's like a more indie version of iHeart Radio. You can tune into cool stations from all over the country.

15. Google Calendar (and pretty much Google everything...)

All millennials' lives revolve around Google Apps. Pick your favorite but love them all.

16. BBC News

International news is pretty important, especially given the current climate of our political system here in the states. You won't regret getting BBC - especially because of the cool tones it makes when there's an update.

17. Zillow

It never hurts to take a look at real estate across the country to remind yourself not everyone pays $2000 per month to live in an apartment the size of a closet.

18. Font Candy

For all of my fellow font lovers, check out some new ones for your images and to try across platforms.

19. The Weather Channel

You need to know if it's raining before you step outside without an umbrella but with suede shoes on. Also, the graphics on this app are admittedly kind of sick.

20. Instagram

My favorite social media platform of them all. Live every day like you're going to post it on the 'gram, people.