19 Things I Learned In 19 Years

19 Things I Learned In 19 Years

Nothing like living 19 years on earth with stories and lessons to share. From living a spontaneous life to being the best person you can be, here are some things I am happy to share with the world on my 19th birthday.

4
19 Things I Learned In 19 Years

1. Life goes by FAST.

I thought I had so much time to do all the things I wanted to do. I thought I had time to travel more, meet new people, follow my small dreams. However, here I am on my 19th birthday about to start a new chapter of my life. I’m done with high school and said goodbye to most of what I’ve known since I was a small child.

2. Always follow your dreams!

If you know me personally, my dream is to become a producer or end up in the entertainment industry in some way. I also find traveling as one of the most important things in my life and traveling the world is my niche. Within the past two years I have traveled to up to 10 countries and experienced some life changing things. I have also been able to travel to Los Angeles to experience behind the scenes and have recently created content for The Ellen Show. None of that would have been possible without my push to follow my dreams and ambitions as well as the support and help from my family.

3. Don’t dwell on it if someone leaves your life.

No matter what, life goes on. It continues with our without the people you desperately care about. On the plus side, with the coming years there are so many possibilities to meet several upon several life changing individuals. Don’t settle for less when there is so many people out there.

4. Help others!

One of the biggest and most amazing gifts you have in life is the gift of helping others. Every single individual on this planet has a story, whether it is voiced or kept secret. Everyone can use a friend, a pick me up, or some guidance. You can be the person they love to see and makes their day a little better. You can be the person who brings the light in their day that is otherwise absent.

5. Everything is temporary.

That struggle you are going through won’t last forever. The heartbreak you just experienced wont cause a huge strain on you forever. As life goes on, you will be dealt with more triumphs and experiences to fill the hole in your heart. Give it time, and understand that time is the only thing that is indefinite in healing you.

6. Not everyone is going to support your ideas.

But that is perfectly okay. Because the only person who can make things possible is YOU. Nobody else can control what you do with your life and how you decide to handle things. They can only influence you.

7. It’s perfectly okay to have high standards.

High standards create what you are going to get out of this crazy thing called life. If you choose to settle for the absolute best in a situation, then do it. Because it’s your ife and you should be able to choose how happy things make you.

8. Happiness is a CHOICE.

You can choose to dwell over the past, the undecided, the questionable things. But if you choose to live your life in constant sadness rather than changing your perspective to a more positive life, you may be cutting yourself short. Everything has silver lining and it’s your job to find it. Nothing is better than being happy in the present and a positive outlook on the future.

9. Value every person in your life.

Upon reaching my 19th birthday, I have sadly had to say goodbye to two very precious and kind lives. Losing loved ones is never easy, however it truly does teach you the importance of valuing every person who enters your life. You never know when someone may enter the last day of their short life. Each person you meet carries a story and gift, so utilize it and love it while you can. Choose to love people and all the gifts they decide to grant you.

10. Education does not define your talent and skills.

Getting a C on a math test does not define your worth. Trying your hardest and proving that you are defines your obedience. Push yourself, but always remember your talents and compassion can get you far in life despite the few things you may do poorly at. Those select downfalls do not define you.

11. Travel.

Find all of the crazy things in this world that you never knew existed. Go out of your comfort zone and create memories that will last. Some things I have experienced and will never forget is the late nights in Florence, Italy, sitting on the set of The Ellen Show, drinking a cold Guinness in Dublin, Ireland. God forbid I die tomorrow, I would at least be able to look back on my life and appreciate all of the things I got to do while traveling, because some of those things are one in a kind and more unique than I can describe.

12. Laugh uncontrollable.

I’m typically known to be bubbly and ditzy, typically because I laugh at almost anything. Whether it is appropriate to laugh or not, I always find something to giggle about. Not only does it lift my mood daily, but it shows me that in every situation there is something good or fun to come out of it.

13. Try things you have never tried before.

Don’t be scared of failure and doing something brand new. My senior year I decided to join my schools biggest show, despite my family saying “You’d never do that” or “Please, I’d like to see you get up in front of hundreds”. Looking back, I know they just said that to push me, and it worked. Being the Master of Ceremonies was one of the best experiences I have ever had, and would do over in a heartbeat. I found a passion I never knew existed. Take a chance. As Jess Glynne says in the song Rather Be, “It’s a shot in the dark but I’ll make it”.

14. A younger version of me would have never said this, but 19 year old me says it with pride.

CHANGE IS GOOD. Change helps you evolve and learn. It educates you and helps you see a new perspective on life. Change is one of the best things to happen to me because it helped me find who I am as a person and experience the unexpected. Moving across the country or taking a step in a different direction is one of the most exciting things that could happen, in my opinion.

15. Adventure with your friends. Have fun, don’t hold back, and enjoy the moment.

Adventures are some of the most rewarding things I have done. Whether it be a random trip to the store, a drive around the countryside, or walking around an old college campus, I have found something to enjoy about it. Being with friends is so memorable and you can learn so much to smile about. I am leaving my hometown soon, and the one thing I am beyond grateful for is the fact that I have so many amazing memories to look back on.

16. Take pictures of EVERYTHING.

All I do is ask for pictures, take random videos, and I have candid pictures galore. My social media is flooded with pictures of random times with my best friends and late night drives. These are the things I want to remember and appreciate as I grow older and it’s no longer shown in the front of my mind. Nothing is better than looking back at old pictures and being able to hear the laughter in your head that followed the snap of the camera.

17. Step back and appreciate how lucky you are.

You have friends who love you, family who support you, and experiences that are unique and amazing. One person always knows something different than another, thanks to how unique and different we are. You have experiences and life lessons that nobody else has experienced or learned. Understand that faults and flaws come here and there, but nothing changes how lucky you are to be alive and have a heart that beats.

18. Respect everyone who respects you.

Don’t look down on someone because they believe in something different than you. Don’t put down someone because their happiness is found in other forms than yours. Everyone has the right to freedom and how they perceive the world, let them do it with ease. You’re allowed to be happy, so they should be allowed to as well. Respect them.

19. Be spontaneous.

Who wants a dull life? Do things that you will remember and look back on to love. Fill your life with new things everyday. Make your life remarkable.