19 Things Anyone Turning 19 In 2019 Should Definitely Know

As my 19th birthday approaches, I wanted to share a few things I learned in the past years that you might need to hear.

5270

As 2019 begins, my birthday approaches. Similarly, for those turning 19 in 2019, there are many pieces of advice we should all try to follow as we grow a year older. With each year comes more and more wisdom (hopefully) so this year should be no different! Enjoy this list of advice that we can all aspire to achieve during our nineteenth year!

1. It's OK to say no

I'm the type of person that likes to please everyone. However, I've learned sometimes it's necessary to politely decline.

2. You'll never please everyone

Like I just mentioned, I strive to satisfy everyone in my life which I've learned isn't possible. Every person has a different viewpoint, and that's OK.

3. Taking time for yourself is perfectly fine

Want to stay in on a Friday night and binge watch Netflix? Go for it! You deserve it!

4. Taking care of yourself is healthy and necessary 

Take the much needed time to take care of yourself- eat healthy, take a long hot bath, or pray. Whatever works for you!

5. If you have a gut feeling, follow it

Gut feelings shouldn't be ignored, they're usually there to push you to do something you secretly want to anyway.

6. Sometimes indulging is OK

If you want a cookie, have it. Sometimes you need a little comforting.

7. Go to church

I've never once attended church and regretted it. Ever.

8. Stop comparing yourself to others

It's time to stop wishing you looked like the Instagram models and start realizing how great you are.

9. If you feel like something should be said, say it

Within reason, if you have the urge to say something you should respectfully say it. Most of the time you'll be glad you did.

10. Change is inevitable 

At 19, life is one change after another. Sometimes it makes you feel uneasy, but it's just a part of life that's crucial to building who you are.

11. Crying is normal

Trust me, everyone cries at this age (especially in college). Some people are just better at hiding it.

12. Breaking a routine is OK

For me, breaking a routine made me feel as if my life was messy. In reality, it just means you have to accept the curveballs that are thrown at you.

13. Recognize the people that help you

Give credit when it's due. Let those important people in your life know how much you appreciate their help.

14. Go outside your comfort zone

Most new opportunities in your life don't come within a little stretch beyond your comfort zone.

15. Take other opinions into consideration

Keep an open mind! I find that listening to other viewpoints helps me justify my own opinion.

16. Keep in touch with your family

I know that these years are busy and you're off doing your own thing now, but remember to call your parents. It'll probably make their day.

17. Use your resources

Sometimes this can be uncomfortable, but there are so many resources that can be used to help out. Utilize them, it will make life so much easier.

18. Your opinion is valid

Don't let anyone or anything crush your feelings. Your mind is important and your voice deserves to be heard. Never quiet yourself at the expense of someone else.

19. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY

This is a big one (hence the capital letters). You're the only one building the future for yourself, so why waste it doing anything that makes you unhappy? Be your own advocate for your happiness.