19 Things I've Learned By Age 19

19 Things I've Learned By Age 19

Only one more year until 20?

22
19 Things I've Learned By Age 19
Abby Sannizzaro

There are a lot of lessons I've learned over the past nineteen years, but these are some of the most important:

1. Keep a journal

Keeping a journal may sound silly or childish, but it is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Getting out bottled up emotions is easily done through writing down your thoughts. The best journals are the kinds you kept when you were really young - those you can read and laugh about now!

2. Don't be so hard on yourself

It’s easy to blame yourself for every little thing. But if you don’t mess up occasionally, how do you ever learn? Don’t take yourself too seriously, it is not always your fault.

3. Just wait and see

You can’t plan everything, and a lot of the time, the things that happen unexpectedly are the most special.

4. Talk to your family

These are some of the most important people in your life. Treat them like that. They’ll always be there for you, so talk to them and share with them.

5. Tell the people you love just how much you love them

You shouldn’t ever be afraid to be vulnerable. Make sure the people you love know how much you love and care for them.

6. Laugh obnoxiously loud

Honestly, turning heads because you’re laughing with your friends is kind of fun. Never apologize for being happy.

7. Take risks

Do all the things in life that scare you.

8. Travel when you get the opportunity

See the world and meet all the people you can. You can learn a lot from other people and gain new perspectives.

9. Be a try hard

Trying hard in what you care about is not a bad thing. Unless you’re one of those people that treats high school gym like your training for the Olympics. Then you might want to cool it.

10. But know when to not be a try hard

See the second half of part nine!

11. Tell people how you feel

Always and truthfully.

12. Always be there for your friends

These are people you chose to have in your life. Make sure you are there for them like they have been for you.

13. Realize the friends who are not there for you

You don’t need people in your life that consistently let you down.

14. Do what you love

Don’t waste your time doing things that won’t make you happy. It’s not worth it.

15. Take time for yourself

It’s okay to need time to recharge your mind and relax.

16. Try new food

What’s the worst that can happen, you don’t like it?

17. You will lose someone you love

And this will break your heart, but there is no way around it. Just know how lucky you are to have loved someone enough that it could possibly hurt this bad to see them go.

18. Sing really loud when you know the words to a song...or even when you don't

Singing is honestly the best.

19. Life is going to move really fast, and time moves quick when you’re spending it with the right people

Find those right people, and don’t let them go.