19 Things Biology Majors Say

Biology encompasses many different fields. However, as biology students, no matter what field we study, we all have to take the same classes. Thus, we often share the same experience when learning about such a broad subject, even in higher level courses. Biology is the study of life, and as such, it often bleeds into our social life as well. So if you have friends that are biology majors, you probably have heard them say a few of these.

1. "I'm pre-med/vet/pharm/PT."

Chances are that we are not just biology majors.

2. "I can't, I have lab."

We probably aren't sorry about it either. Labs are fun.

3. "I hate organic chemistry."

To clarify, organic and biochemistry are not the same thing. We prefer biochem.

4. "I'm taking a hard science."

Sorry sociology and psychology, you don't quite make the cut.

5. "Why do we have to take physics?"

It's a honest question. It usually isn't answered until we take an upper level lab course.

6. "I just read this neat article."

Now when we get interested in something, we know how to research it.

7. "Thank God for those two bonus points on the test."

They do make a difference.

8. "Maybe life would be easier as an *insert non-science major here.*"

We like to daydream about it sometimes.

9. "I got a full four and a half hours of sleep last night."

We survive by getting coffee into our system intravenously.

10. "I learned how to get these chemical stains out of my clothes."

No matter how hard we try, a few stray drops always find their way onto our clothes.

11. "Sorry if I smell like formaldehyde."

You try spending two hours with preserved dead cats and see if you can avoid the smell.

12. "Microorganisms will definitely wait five seconds before attacking the food you dropped on the floor."

I hope you read this as sarcastically as I wrote it.

13. "They should be dead by now."

-Says any biology major while watching a movie or TV show.

14. "I'd have a doctor look at that."

We are biology majors, not free medical consultation.

15. "I don't know anything."

We aren't calling ourselves stupid. When we answer one question, at least ten more are asked.

16. "I can reject the null hypothesis!"

No matter what experiment we are doing, finding significant data is so satisfying.

17. "You should totally take a biology class."

We know you are required to take a science class. We are telling you this because we like the class, not because it is easy.

18. "I love my professor!"

They make even the tiniest things interesting.

19. "I love biology!"

It's tough, but we all love it. That's why we do it.