19 Pieces Of Advice From A Soon-To-Be 20-Year-Old

Looking back at the past 19 years of my life, there is so much that I've learned.
480

It's still pretty hard to believe that I will be no longer a "teenager" within a few weeks. I still remember running around the playground when I was in kindergarten and having my birthday party at Chuck-E-Cheese. Those sure were the good 'ole times. I had no cares in the world. There was no class to stress over, no rent to pay, and no jobs to work. All I had to worry about was having a good time.

Now, I'm, kind of, grown up. Pretty soon, I have to start thinking about what career I want, whether I want to have children or not, and where I want to settle down. The future is scary, but it's unavoidable. I'd like to think that I've learned a lot in these past 19 years. I've learned a lot about myself as a person, as well a lot about the world around me. And boy, is there a lot to know.

1. That boy/girl you're crying over right now won't matter to you in the near future.

Either you'll find that you are your best self without needing someone else, or you'll find someone who appreciates and loves you for you.

2. The best adventures are always spontaneous.

Go ahead and hop in your car with no particular destination in mind. You'll make some good memories along the way.

3. People may have different views than you.

It may be frustrating to talk to these people, especially if it feels like they are trying to argue every good point you make, but do not fret. Not everyone is going to agree with you and you are going to have to learn how to deal with them.

4. If someone is not putting the same time and effort into the relationship/friendship as you are, they're not worth it.

There are so many other people out there who are worth the time and effort. Don't waste your time on trying to revive something that has died.

5. Every city has their own hidden gem. You just have to know where to look.

Even if your hometown seems like a shithole. There is something there that makes every town unique. You just to make the effort to find it first.

6. Strut your stuff in whatever you're confident in.

If you feel confident in a fierce pair of high heels, go for it. If you feel confident in a pair of sweatpants, go for it. However, this doesn't mean wear your workout attire to a job interview. Know the occasion and dress how you like.

7. Wanting to have time to yourself is not a bad thing.

Sometimes you just need a break. There's nothing wrong with taking a night off and staying in bed with your laptop and binging on Netflix.

8. Rewarding yourself is a powerful motivator.

Set up a system of rewards for yourself. Or, if you've had a rough week and need a break, give yourself a day to relax and recharge before jumping back in.

9. Keep an extra change of clothes in your car.

You never know when you're going to have an adventure that requires a random overnight trip.

10. Be informed about not only American politics but also global politics.

We are not the only country in the world. Everything we do could very well affect what another country does and it is important to know what causes different effects in the world.

11. If what you want to study in college is something you're passionate about, go for it.

Don't bother studying something that is going to bore you. You're just going to be miserable 24/7. Pick something you love and everything will work itself out eventually.

12. Call your parents every once in a while.

They will appreciate the fact that you think about them. It's also a good excuse to ask for some extra money.

13. Heartbreak sucks. Surround yourself with awesome people.

I know it hurts. Surrounding yourself with people who care about you and take your mind off of the pain will make the healing process a lot easier.

14. Try learning another language.

Even if it's just a few phrases. There are so many awesome languages out there. Take your pick and start learning.

15. Read something other than Instagram captions.

Seriously, read a book once in a while. Your brain will thank you.

16. Opposites attract but rarely last.

That cool looking boy/girl that sits next to you in class might be nice to look at. But, if you know that you have nothing in common there's a very high chance that it won't work out. Try finding someone who likes some of the things you like.

17. Your first roommate might suck.

You may very well get lucky and get a really awesome roommate, but be prepared to get one that sucks. If that happens, it's okay. Figure out a way that you can communicate your frustration with them and it won't be as bad.

18. Don't shut up. Speak up.

If never speak your mind about something that bothers you, it's never going to change. If you want to see change, start the conversation.

19. Travel as much as you can.

There is so much to see in the world. If you are able to, go have yourself a global adventure. You will thank yourself for those memories later on.