19 Classics To Channel Your Halloween Spirit

Get a blast from the past with these iconic films.

32
MTV News

1. It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

Who doesn't love Lionel's insistence that the Great Pumpkin exists despite what everyone else thinks?

2. Labyrinth (1986)

An oldie but a goodie. Definitely on the darker side, but sure does get you to think twice about what you wish for.

3. Beetlejuice (1988)

My stepsister used to scare me half to death saying "beetlejuice" three times, so this one holds a special place in my heart.

4. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

The sweetest movie with the most lovable ghost dog (I really want a Zero of my own).

5. Hocus Pocus (1993)

How could anyone not be a fan of this one? Yes, the witches' pursuance of killing children to become immortal is frightening, but Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker are unforgettable.

6. Casper (1995)

Casper the Friendly Ghost says it all.

7. Halloweentown (1998)

The first iconic Disney Channel halloween movie. After seeing this, I couldn't help but wish my grandma was also a witch who would whisk me away to Halloweentown.

8. The Little Vampire (2000)

Tony is adorable, not to mention the actress who plays Anna is the same person who plays Susan in the Narnia movies (a series which I love). The movie is a little odd, but in a charming, quirky way.

9. Halloween Town II: Kalabar's Revenge (2001)

Is anything really ever as good as the original? Although it's not my favorite, I have to watch the Halloweentown story continue.

10. Monsters, Inc (2001)

A great Disney Pixar movie that shows there is so much more to monsters (people) than being scary (who others expect them to be).

11. The Haunted Mansion (2003)

Eddie Murphy is one of the greatest comedians of all time, which should be enough to get you to watch this fantastic and enchanting thriller.

12. Halloweentown High (2004)

Yes, the Halloweentown saga is pushing it, but I can't get enough of Grandma Aggie's sass.

13. Corpse Bride (2005)

A slightly dark and twisty tale, but nonetheless enchanting and endearing.

14. Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie (2005)

I'm a little bias being a huge Winnie the Pooh fan, but it's perfect Halloween film for all ages.

15. Twitches (2005)

We FINALLY have some badass witches of color! Seriously, I love all these movies, but this is the only one (besides Haunted Mansion) who has protagonists that aren't white. In addition to that awesome progression, Tia and Tamera Mowry are amazing in everything they star in.

16. Return to Halloweentown (2006)

Okay, I admit, I am a fan of this movie, and Sara Paxton did do a pretty great job, but it's just not the same without Kimberly J. Brown as Marnie.

17. Twitches Too (2007)

This is a quality sequel. Go twitches! Go twitches! Go twitches!

18. Hotel Transylvania (2012)

Sweet, funny, engaging and just all-around amazing! How many children-oriented movies can you say that about?

19. Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)

BEST. SEQUEL. EVER. If it's even possible, and it just might be better than original.