The Ultimate Guide To Seton Hall Student Slang

"Once you learn them as a freshman and someone says the actual name for it, it sounds a bit odd"

523
Seton Hall University

Seton Hall University- like many other universities- has its very own terms of slang. Once you learn them as a freshman and someone says the actual name for it, it sounds a bit odd. Hearing the actual names for our slang terms is similar to when someone foreign speaks to a local in the common language as opposed to their own dialect. They understand it, but it's just weird hearing it. For returning SHU students, this is a dictionary to what our lives consist of from August to May.

1. "The Lib" or "The Walsh"

These are all of the terms used for the Walsh library (not to be confused with the Walsh Gym) You either spend 80% of your free time there or you don't go there at all. There is no in-between.

2. "The Caf"

This is what we call our one and only dining hall. It's buffet style, as most college dining halls are. The food is repetitive but when that glorious chicken tenders day comes, you'll be feasting.

3. "SHUfly"

The SHUfly is our way of transportation to places such as the village, Livingston Mall (on Saturdays), Target (on Sundays), and the South Orange Train Station. Plus, if you're too lazy to walk across campus, hop on and enjoy the ride!

4. "Saferide"

Saferide is another form of transportation at SHU, but it runs from 10pm - 3am. This is used for going to and from parties to make sure all students are safe to avoid getting behind the wheel or walking in an unsafe area

5. "The Trat"

The Trat, or The Village Trattoria, is a pizza place in the town of South Orange.

6. "The Cellar"

Pirate Bucks is a form of currency on campus. It's not solid money like a dollar bill, but it is on your student ID card. A certain amount comes with your meal plan and you cannot get it back once it is spent. You can use it in the Commuter Caf, Dunkin Donuts, and the Cove.

9. "Pirate's Gold"

Also on your student ID, but you need to put the money on it, similar to a debit card. This is the only swipe you can use for your laundry, but you can also use it for food in the Commuter Caf, Dunkin Donuts and the Cove.

10. "Hot Bagels."

Hot Bagels is the closest thing you're going to get to a good bagel. It's in the town of South Orange so take a walk into town or the SHUfly in the winter to get your hands on a bacon, egg and cheese on a roll, a pork roll egg and cheese, or just a plain bagel with butter.to a good bagel. It's in the town of South Orange so take a walk into town or the SHUfly in the winter to get your hands on a bacon, egg and cheese on a roll, a pork roll egg and cheese, or just a plain bagel with butter.

11. "The Seal/The Pirate's Boot"

If you step on the SHU seal, you don't graduate, according to most of the student body. If you do happen to step on the seal, you have to make it to the Pirate's Boot in front of the Richie Reagan Rec Center in 30 seconds or less and rub it for your luck to be restored.

12. "Pirate Adventure"

Pirate Adventure, or orientation for incoming freshmen, is when you stay overnight on campus. It's filled with games that you'd never thought you'd play at a college orientation, lots of laughing, and some awkward ice-breakers. It forces you to make friends and to bring you out of your shell, which most of the time brings you to the people that you'll spend your four years with. Do not be fooled by the food during these two days as they do not overshadow your days spent in the caf.

13. "The Rock"

If you don't live in New Jersey or you're not a hockey or college basketball fan, you probably have never heard of this nor what it's actually called, which is the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. Basketball season is one of the most exciting parts about the year, especially when your school is competing with teams like Villanova or Georgetown

14. "Onward Setonia"

This one is more of a tradition. It's the title of the song we sing at the basketball games. If you don't already know the lyrics, you clearly haven't been to enough games!

15. "Piratenet"

This is what we call our website that we use to look at our grades, emails, and make appointments with our advisors. You can also put more Pirate's Gold onto your card.

16. "AQ" and "X"

If you ever hear someone say "we live in AQ" or "I'm going to my friend's dorm in X", we're not talking in some kind of secret code. Nope, we're just talking about the dorm buildings Xavier and Aquinas.

17. "The Living Room"

Not your typical living room that your mother designed, but it does have couches and it's just another place to study and hang out with friends.