17 Things I've Learned in 17 Years

17 Things I've Learned in 17 Years

A 'lil reminiscing on my 17 years

402
17 Things I've Learned in 17 Years
SarcasmLol

Having recently turned 17, I've already lived roughly one-fifth my projected life span. I don't think I know everything, but I've picked up a bit of knowledge in my few years. This article is a summary of what I've come to view as important and central to me as a person. This list of truths I have found, but not necessarily achieved.

1. Empathy is key

Think like other people, then form your own ideas. If you open your eyes to every issue with bias and use solely your own experience to guide your opinions, you'll never have a clear picture of the world around you. Thinking like other people helps you take better care of them, and find yourself.

2. Don't be too scared to try things

Don't let your "what-if" scenarios run wild, and don't let other people ideas or opinions stop you from trying new things. There is so much more to life and more to experience if you're willing to be the odd one out.

3. Stay realistic, but don't let that stop you from believing in miracles

Life is tough, and sometimes you won't always be in an ideal situation or get what you want. However, even when the cards aren't in your favor and almost all hope is lost, there is always the chance of a good samaritan or a cosmic karmic coincidence that saves you. Don't live with your head so high in the sky that you always end up disappointed, but don't live your life expecting disappointment.

4. Your hard work isn't the same as everyone else's

What you are capable of at 101 percent is different than any other person's 101 percent. Different situations take different tolls on different people. Just because you can withstand something doesn't mean the person standing next to you can. You can't hold other people to your expectations for yourself, nor can you expect to meet other people's expectations for themselves. You are an individual and your strengths, weaknesses, values, and standards are unique to you. Strive for your best, and encourage people to do their best, but you cannot expect any harder than that.

5. Confidence isn't something you say

Having a strong sense-of-self is the most powerful navigation system. Knowing yourself, and the security that comes with this knowledge, speaks louder than any resumé or "humblebrag." You shouldn't need to talk about how great you are to convey confidence. Confidence comes from within, and your "within" should have more to it than an SAT score.

6. Love who you've been given the privilege to

Truth is, not everyone stays in your life forever. Most of us will have grandparents passing, friends drifting, family moving. Love who you can when you can, and make sure they know how you feel. Call your grandma again, one day it might not be an option.

7. Sometimes doing the right thing takes a toll

Inevitably, you will find yourself in situations in which the right thing to do is the harder thing to do. Whether it be accepting a flaw you've been ignoring, telling the truth, or spilling a secret to save someone, it will happen. Know that sometimes doing the right thing takes a toll, but you won't regret it.

8. "Talent" should not be your measure of self-worth

Your GPA, musical talent, athleticism, your number of community service hours, your strong suit, whatever it may be, makes up a huge part of what you love and who you are. That being said, it shouldn't be a measure of self-worth. Your perception of yourself should be who you are at your very core, your character and your kindness and what you value and what you love to do, not how good you are at it.

9. Commercialism sometimes is the perfect way to show someone you love him/her

A heartfelt card is one of the most wonderful things in the world. That being said, if there happens to be the perfect present attached to it, the receiver now knows how much you love them and how well you know them. Gifts don't have to be big or expensive to be the perfect complement to some already beautiful sentiments. It's the little things that count when it comes to gift giving.

10. Don't beat yourself up about shortcomings, just strive for better

You shouldn't need to hate your body to go to the gym. You shouldn't need to be disgusted with yourself to strive for better. Don't let hate, for yourself or anyone else, motivate you; instead, let a growth mindset set it, and understand that becoming better doesn't mean you were insufficient in any way before the changes you made.

11. You don’t have to be only one type of person

Watch this and realize that though it may be one of the best musical numbers ever, it's message is grossly inaccurate (and later resolved, if you watch the whole movie!). There is no need to stick to the status quo; let yourself grow. You don't need to stay the jock because that is what people have come to expect of you. You don't need to hide your passions to keep other people happy. You can do whatever you want. Don't let yourself be compressed into a mold or simplified to a stereotype. Do what you love, no matter how different your passions may be. Be Zeke.

12. It's not that hard to tell what’s good and bad for you - use a 'lil intuition

Learn yourself well enough to know right from wrong, and right choices from wrong choices - 99% of the time, if you put a little thought into your decision, right from wrong will separate out very easily. Also, all this "superfood" stuff is dumb; fruits and vegetables have been healthy forever, and I don't see why this is news all of a sudden.

13. PhotoShop can fix any photo or perceived "flaw," but there is no cure-all for being a crappy person

There is so much more to life, so much more to you, than what you see in the mirror. Physical imperfections are nothing compared to personality ones. Focus on being a better person, because when you laugh hard enough no one is going to notice anything but your ear-to-ear smile (and maybe the snort that slips in there!)

14. Don't dwell on the past or future

Don't let your life focus on the "glory days" or the "when I retire..." scenarios. Don't live to truly live future or yearn for the past. As a high school student, I can honestly say I'm over living for some abstract idea of "the future." I can't live for the future, for "The Real World," and forget to live now. Work for what you love, now, in this very moment. Every part of your life is important, but all too often we forget about the present.

*I'm not saying don't prepare or reminisce, because please do, but don't dwell.

15. Find your support system, and work to maintain relationships

A very wise man said "Good friends are hard to find and impossible to forget." It's true, I promise. Find people who you truly love, who truly love you, who are the people who both keep you grounded and help you reach the stars, and work to keep that relationship alive. It's the small texts, the phone calls in the car ride home, it's the active effort that keeps relationships alive. Friendships are pure gold, value them as such.

16. Take comfort in karma

Sometimes, you will meet people who you just cannot stand, who you think are perhaps the worst person in existence, who you think deserve so much worse than what they have, who you wish you could just put in their place. Instead of putting them in his/her place, know that it is infinitely more satisfying that one day the universe will take out your rage on them for you. Let go, because it's easier to not care than it is to hate. What goes around comes around, and those people, they've got it coming. Let it end at that.

*This is not saying don't stand up for yourself if someone is taking advantage of you. Just don't waste energy actively hating people.

17. Communicate, and communicate warmth

There is no doormat or sign that is more welcoming than a smile. Be warm, be kind, and be compassionate, and you'll attract the type of people you'll want to be around. Communicating is key to placating drama and all its craziness, but expressing the type of person you are and the type of people you want to be surrounded with prevents drama in the first place.

And one for good luck!

18. Balance is key

Balance is key, and though I know I don't have it yet, I strive for it. Balance what you give and take from this world, balance what you give and take from the people of this world.