17 Jane Austen Quotes For All Her Haters

It's not all about the romance.

190
ReBloggy

Many people approach Jane Austen’s work with either preconceived notions or hesitation, and neither are called for. Jane Austen is so much more than a typical writer of romance in 19th Century Britain. Her wit is hidden among the nooks and crannies of her novels. The characters in her stories are not simple-minded girls only concerned with finding husbands, but strong women trying to find their place in a man’s world. In my exploration of Jane Austen’s works, I have found several memorable quotations that I want to share. Hopefully after reading these, you’ll take another look at her novels and come to appreciate them the way I do.

1.“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a fortune, should be in want of a wife.” – "Pride and Prejudice"

2.“It isn’t what we say or think that defines us, but what we do.” – "Sense and Sensibility"

3.“The person, be it gentlemen or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel must be intolerably stupid.” – "Northanger Abbey"

4.“Why not seize pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!” – "Emma"

5.“The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!” – "Sense and Sensibility"

6.“Good opinion once lost, is lost forever.” – "Pride and Prejudice"

7.“A woman, especially if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can.” – "Northanger Abbey"

8.“If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.” – "Northanger Abbey"

9. “One-half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.” – "Emma"

10.“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” – "Pride and Prejudice"

11.“When pain is over, the remembrance of it often becomes a pleasure.” – "Persuasion"

12.“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope.” – "Persuasion"

13.“I wish, as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy; but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way.” – "Sense and Sensibility"

14.“We are all fools in love.” – "Pride and Prejudice"

15.“Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion.” – "Pride and Prejudice"

16.“Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings.” – "Mansfield Park"

17.“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” – "Northanger Abbey"

Now, go find a copy of a Jane Austen novel and start enjoying it!