17 Amazing Things That Have Happened In 2017

It hasn't all been bad!
656

2017 has been a year that has proved to have many devistating and life-altering things happen. From shootings to terrorist attacks to an abundance of natural disasters. Hoever, there have been quite a few uplifting things that have happened this year. so take a look on the positive side as we say goodbye to 2017 and hello to 2018.

1. We're getting really close to eradicating the second disease from the planet

At the start of 2015 there were just 126 cases of Guinea Worm left on Earth, now there are only 5!

2. The first Zero Waste Shop in the United Kingdom has opened.

Customers bring in their own reusable packages or jars in order fill them up with whatever they need.

3. A homeless man who helped young survivors of the Manchester attack was given a home.

A Go-Fund-Me was created shortly after the attack and raised enough money to rent a flat for the man for 6 months.

4. A town came together to surprise a boy who is allergic to sunlight but turning night into day.

Watch the video here .

5. Mexico protects the largest ocean reserve in North America.

There more than 57,000 square miles of the ocean that are teeming with 37 species of sharks and rays, four species of threatened sea turtles, and 366 species of fish, 26 of which can be found only in this part of the world.

6. LEGO reached its 100% renewable energy goal 3 years early.

After expending almost $1 billion in investments, LEGO has finally achieved its target of balancing 100% of the energy used by all of its factories, offices, and stores worldwide, with clean renewable energy.

7. World’s largest air purifier transforms Chinese smog into actual diamonds.

The Chinese smog that is accumulated by the air filter is the equivalent of smoking 17 cigarettes per day.

8. India bans circuses from using wild animals for exhibition.

The nation’s Central Zoo Authority passed an order stating that circuses would no longer be allowed to use wild animals for exhibition or performance.

9. Military sons tell their mom that not everyone gets care packages so she sends 10,000 boxes.

Help LeAnn Boudwine by making a donation here .

10. US city long known for coal announces pledge to pursue 100% renewable energy.

St Louis, a city that currently gleans about 80% of its energy from coal-powered sources, announced plans to become 100% dependent on renewable energy by the year 2035.

11. New Zealand government announced plans to plant 1 billion trees.

Their goal is to get to zero emissions and to take an aggressive stance against climate change in the future

12. Child labor rates cut by almost half this year.

More kids are getting the opportunity to have a childhood.

13. AIDs is no longer the leading cause of death in Africa.

Thanks to the tireless efforts devoted to education and treatment of the disease there has been a 24% decrease in the last 5 years.

14. Pakistan opens first ever Violence Against Women Center.

Pakistan is taking steps towards better gender equality by opening up 36 different Violence Against Women Centers nationwide.

15. California teen raises $15,000 to send a Holocaust survivor to Israel.

Drew Principe sent out letters explaining why he wanted the money to friends and family members and was able to send author Henry Oster to Israel.

16. Renewable energy now employs almost 10 million people worldwide.

Renewable energy isn't just good for the environment.

17. Thousands of Indian doctors fight sexism by delivering baby girls for free.

In light of Indian families berating mothers for giving birth to girls instead of boys, Dr. Ganesh Rakh started delivering female babies for free. 17,000 other medical officials have joined him in his efforts.